Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Attention All Philly Subforum Members

Rjay

Attention All Philly Subforum Members  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to merge with the NYC subforum?

• Yes
    • No

• 3 weeks later...

I think a merger would be a very good thing as you need activity or people just lose interest. I'm almost always on the NYC forum because of the activity.  If I lived in South Jersey I probably would not bother with AMWX at all as this forum is just to quiet.  It is what it is, no offense.  There are a vocal few who want things as they are...and probably a whole bunch who stopped coming to the PHL board a long time ago.   To the person who wants a weather forecast for his backyard, this isn't the place and not the point of weather forum IMO.  Don't be a hater, just my opinion, nothing more.   

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

2 hours ago, wxman said:

I think a merger would be a very good thing as you need activity or people just lose interest. I'm almost always on the NYC forum because of the activity.  If I lived in South Jersey I probably would not bother with AMWX at all as this forum is just to quiet.  It is what it is, no offense.  There are a vocal few who want things as they are...and probably a whole bunch who stopped coming to the PHL board a long time ago.   To the person who wants a weather forecast for his backyard, this isn't the place and not the point of weather forum IMO.  Don't be a hater, just my opinion, nothing more.   

No offense but how hard is it to click other subforums? Their subforum (NY) is a mess and most of us here don't want to sort through their nonsense to find current conditions/forecast and such. I never go to the NY subforum but visit the Mid Atlantic/DC/Balt subforum quite frequently....again it's only a click away. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

No offense but how hard is it to click other subforums? Their subforum (NY) is a mess and most of us here don't want to sort through their nonsense to find current conditions/forecast and such. I never go to the NY subforum but visit the Mid Atlantic/DC/Balt subforum quite frequently....again it's only a click away. 

It's not hard at all to click on other sub forums, that's not my point.  The New England forum is a good example of how a vibrant forum should be.  Let's say a storm is a week out (and let's face it, tracking is much of the fun of this hobby), all of us would benefit from the mets in the PHL forum posting in a string with the mets in the NYC forum and that hopefully would lead to discussions like they have in the NE forum, and real sense of community over time.  Clicking on separate forums does not give you that.  And, you can't justify separate forums based on distinct weather zones...as you have people from the Poconos posting here along with people from the Jersey shore.  My view is that the few remaining posters in the PHL forum like it this way (stands to reason, right) and the rest of us stop by once in a blue moon or not at all.  If I was king (and I'm not of course) I would have one forum covering roughly PHL to NYC and within that forum there could be separate threads for the PHL area, NYC area etc.  This is  how other sub forums are run, and compare the number of posters they have versus here. There is a reason for that.  The split was a mistake and now hard to correct because those that would want a merger stopped paying attention.  Again, just my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

33 minutes ago, wxman said:

It's not hard at all to click on other sub forums, that's not my point.  The New England forum is a good example of how a vibrant forum should be.  Let's say a storm is a week out (and let's face it, tracking is much of the fun of this hobby), all of us would benefit from the mets in the PHL forum posting in a string with the mets in the NYC forum and that hopefully would lead to discussions like they have in the NE forum, and real sense of community over time.  Clicking on separate forums does not give you that.  And, you can't justify separate forums based on distinct weather zones...as you have people from the Poconos posting here along with people from the Jersey shore.  My view is that the few remaining posters in the PHL forum like it this way (stands to reason, right) and the rest of us stop by once in a blue moon or not at all.  If I was king (and I'm not of course) I would have one forum covering roughly PHL to NYC and within that forum there could be separate threads for the PHL area, NYC area etc.  This is  how other sub forums are run, and compare the number of posters they have versus here. There is a reason for that.  The split was a mistake and now hard to correct because those that would want a merger stopped paying attention.  Again, just my opinion. 

What makes you think Mets want to do this? They don't get paid for their time and Mets in general post for their area. Sounds like YOU want a big Met family posting all over the regions when they don't. If a storm is approaching I'll read the Mid Atlantic forum and what the Mets and members are posting. Since we're in close proximity to them I'll use my brain,maps and other tools and come to some sort of conclusion. Once it approaches this region I'll start reading what Mets/members are posting in the subforum while looking at temps, maps and such then it unfolds and we post real time weather conditions.

I'll tell you right now the majority of people in this forum don't want to merge w/NY forum. Some NY forum members post down here which is cool but to merge and have the complete flock would be hell.

I take it you're new here w/limited post. Back in the day there was only one forum w/all regions included and it wasn't good. Separate regions is best. If I want to see what's going on in NY, I click on their subforum. If I want to see what's going on in Mid Atlantic, I click there. Or New England, I click there etc...      

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, wxman said:

Yes, I think all of us would be happier if we had some red taggers posting in our forum. Unfortunately they left several years ago and went to the other site. I don't see how merging us with the NYC forum solves that. I doubt there's a group of Philly mets out there thinking to themselves, "if only they closed the Philly forum and merged it with NYC, then I'd log in and discuss Philly weather". The solutions is to get Philly mets to participate here. How? I don't know.

Merging us with NYC would be like large corporation A acquiring smaller company B. After a few months or so, company B ceases to exist. Why the NYC forum? Why not the Mid Atlantic? Both regions are about 100 miles from my back yard. 

• Weenie 1

15 hours ago, wxman said:

You probably should post in the NYC subforum anyway since by your location, you are probably fairly close to me.  I get that we are nearly in the middle between NYC and Philly, but since there is no action in this forum, you might as well stick with NYC.  

10 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Yes, I think all of us would be happier if we had some red taggers posting in our forum. Unfortunately they left several years ago and went to the other site. I don't see how merging us with the NYC forum solves that. I doubt there's a group of Philly mets out there thinking to themselves, "if only they closed the Philly forum and merged it with NYC, then I'd log in and discuss Philly weather". The solutions is to get Philly mets to participate here. How? I don't know.

Merging us with NYC would be like large corporation A acquiring smaller company B. After a few months or so, company B ceases to exist. Why the NYC forum? Why not the Mid Atlantic? Both regions are about 100 miles from my back yard. 

Sorry, Mike! Yes, you're still here :hug:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

He's lives in central NJ. Merging w/NY would benefit his needs moreso.

Personally I would leave things as is...  

What makes you think Mets want to do this? They don't get paid for their time and Mets in general post for their area. Sounds like YOU want a big Met family posting all over the regions when they don't. If a storm is approaching I'll read the Mid Atlantic forum and what the Mets and members are posting. Since we're in close proximity to them I'll use my brain,maps and other tools and come to some sort of conclusion. Once it approaches this region I'll start reading what Mets/members are posting in the subforum while looking at temps, maps and such then it unfolds and we post real time weather conditions.

I'll tell you right now the majority of people in this forum don't want to merge w/NY forum. Some NY forum members post down here which is cool but to merge and have the complete flock would be hell.

I take it you're new here w/limited post. Back in the day there was only one forum w/all regions included and it wasn't good. Separate regions is best. If I want to see what's going on in NY, I click on their subforum. If I want to see what's going on in Mid Atlantic, I click there. Or New England, I click there etc...      

Nah, I'm an old timer who's been on forums since before there was an internet as we know it.  Message boards first then eastern wx and then one of the earliest members on American, my current profile was entered in 2010.  It's pretty obvious that the few remaining posters in this forum prefer things the way they are, and that's why they are still here. But, no fair-minded weather hobbyist can look at this forum and say it's preferable in any meaningful way to say the New England forum, which covers a larger area then we would cover if this forum covered the stretch from PHL to NYC.  I would try and move towards that model rather then saying how great this forum is when it clearly is not at least to the many who have already voted with their feet.   

• Weenie 2

8 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Any forum is going to cover an area of 100 miles, as does this forum in its current iteration, which features posters from Cape May to the Poconos.  The mid-atlantic forum, the NE forum and (to a bit lesser extent) the NYC forum are active and vibrant.  This forum is not (not being critical of those who post here), just the low membership and activity.  I'd try something different to see if both forums might benefit from a combination.  Hardly a revolutionary idea and easily reversed.  

1 hour ago, wxman said:

Nah, I'm an old timer who's been on forums since before there was an internet as we know it.  Message boards first then eastern wx and then one of the earliest members on American, my current profile was entered in 2010.  It's pretty obvious that the few remaining posters in this forum prefer things the way they are, and that's why they are still here. But, no fair-minded weather hobbyist can look at this forum and say it's preferable in any meaningful way to say the New England forum, which covers a larger area then we would cover if this forum covered the stretch from PHL to NYC.  I would try and move towards that model rather then saying how great this forum is when it clearly is not at least to the many who have already voted with their feet.   

I was w/Eastern since 2003 then American when it transferred. If you were one of earliest members of American (not saying you weren't) and only have 620 post in 11 years you haven't participated much... 

I was w/Eastern since 2003 then American when it transferred. If you were one of earliest members of American (not saying you weren't) and only have 620 post in 11 years you haven't participated much... 

All you need to do is click on my name and you can see when I joined.  As for how often one posts, well that's a dreadful measure of one's utility to a forum.  In my case it amounts to about 56 posts per year, that's actually plenty.  As has been said wisely to many and perhaps most around these parts, "read more, post less."  But if you think number of posts is a useful metric then compare the 161K posts in this forum with the 1.3mm for NE; 771K for mid-atl; 669K for NYC.  There is something very wrong here, but as with any proposed change there will always be a vocal few who love things the way they are.  That is you, and it's no shame, but it is what it is.  You think this forum is fine the way it is when so many have obviously already left.  The mods should not let the vocal few kill this forum.  Make the change and see how it goes, IMHO.

• Weenie 1

52 minutes ago, wxman said:

All you need to do is click on my name and you can see when I joined.  As for how often one posts, well that's a dreadful measure of one's utility to a forum.  In my case it amounts to about 56 posts per year, that's actually plenty.  As has been said wisely to many and perhaps most around these parts, "read more, post less."  But if you think number of posts is a useful metric then compare the 161K posts in this forum with the 1.3mm for NE; 771K for mid-atl; 669K for NYC.  There is something very wrong here, but as with any proposed change there will always be a vocal few who love things the way they are.  That is you, and it's no shame, but it is what it is.  You think this forum is fine the way it is when so many have obviously already left.  The mods should not let the vocal few kill this forum.  Make the change and see how it goes, IMHO.

70%+ of my post are in the Sports forum...nothing to do w/weather.

If each member only posted 1/week w/the weather always changing this site would suck.

4 hours ago, wxman said:

And judging the quality of a forum based on it's member size is a dreadful measure of a forum's value to those members who post here. And what information do you have access to that confirms the 63% in the poll above who don't want to merge are the vocal minority and NOT the vocal majority??

Look, you live in central Jersey, it's not a stretch for you to post in the NYC forum. But I don't see how the weather on Long Island, Newark, or Manhattan is of any interest to those of us posting from Reading, Wilmington, Cape May, Brandywine, etc.

And if 100 miles isn't that much of a difference, then merger NYC with the SNE forum and merge us with the Mid Atlantic, Two big forums with lots of members so everyone is happy :D

7 hours ago, JTA66 said:

And judging the quality of a forum based on it's member size is a dreadful measure of a forum's value to those members who post here. And what information do you have access to that confirms the 63% in the poll above who don't want to merge are the vocal minority and NOT the vocal majority??

Look, you live in central Jersey, it's not a stretch for you to post in the NYC forum. But I don't see how the weather on Long Island, Newark, or Manhattan is of any interest to those of us posting from Reading, Wilmington, Cape May, Brandywine, etc.

And if 100 miles isn't that much of a difference, then merger NYC with the SNE forum and merge us with the Mid Atlantic, Two big forums with lots of members so everyone is happy :D

At the risk of repeating myself you can make the same argument for the forum as it exists now.  What interest is there for a poster in Cape May to hear a poster from the Poconos...or even North Wales?  There was actually a time when forums were combined, that's the issue.  There was a lot of fighting by those who only cared how much snow they would get in their backyard.  That's not the primary purpose of these boards, IMO.  We can have a respectful disagreement about that.  I think it's not just a matter of geography that explains the small number of posters, this forum in particular seems to have vocal "IMBY" types, and that's reflected in the opinions against merger that have been expressed, and don't recoil when I say that, you said it:  "But I don't see how the weather on Long Island, Newark, or Manhattan is of any interest to those of us posting from Reading, Wilmington, Cape May, Brandywine, etc."  You freely admit that you mainly care about the weather in what you consider your specific area (whether or not your defined area is logical -- not quite sure what a poster in Cape May would find so interesting about weather in Reading).   I think AMWX is looking to increase participation and if so they might consider seeing how a merger would work, they need not cater to those who prefer to mingle only "with their own" or want a local forecast.  Again, I respect the differing opinions, but understand, we are only expressing our personal preferences.  It's up to AMWX to decide which opinions align with its objectives.  I think both cases have now been made.

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, wxman said:

At the risk of repeating myself you can make the same argument for the forum as it exists now.  What interest is there for a poster in Cape May to hear a poster from the Poconos...or even North Wales?  There was actually a time when forums were combined, that's the issue.  There was a lot of fighting by those who only cared how much snow they would get in their backyard.  That's not the primary purpose of these boards, IMO.  We can have a respectful disagreement about that.  I think it's not just a matter of geography that explains the small number of posters, this forum in particular seems to have vocal "IMBY" types, and that's reflected in the opinions against merger that have been expressed, and don't recoil when I say that, you said it:  "But I don't see how the weather on Long Island, Newark, or Manhattan is of any interest to those of us posting from Reading, Wilmington, Cape May, Brandywine, etc."  You freely admit that you mainly care about the weather in what you consider your specific area (whether or not your defined area is logical -- not quite sure what a poster in Cape May would find so interesting about weather in Reading).   I think AMWX is looking to increase participation and if so they might consider seeing how a merger would work, they need not cater to those who prefer to mingle only "with their own" or want a local forecast.  Again, I respect the differing opinions, but understand, we are only expressing our personal preferences.  It's up to AMWX to decide which opinions align with its objectives.  I think both cases have now been made.

Why is this brought up every year?  Is there some kind of boredom going on elsewhere that coming in here to insult how things are discussed becomes a "thing"?   It's just idiotic.  I pay a premium yearly membership to post and upload stuff here and enjoy my hobby and banter and grabbing links to all kinds of sites that I can peruse to participate in discussions. What chaps my hide is the abject trolling that goes on in here from people who seem intent on eliminating this group... and for what reason, I have no idea.  If anything, this is a place where at least the moderators don't have to continually spend all their time removing weenie and troll posts.

This group encompasses the Mt. Holly CWA.  NYC/SNE is not part of the Mt. Holly CWA and neither is the MA group.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Why is this brought up every year?  Is there some kind of boredom going on elsewhere that coming in here to insult how things are discussed becomes a "thing"?   It's just idiotic.  I pay a premium yearly membership to post and upload stuff here and enjoy my hobby and banter and grabbing links to all kinds of sites that I can peruse to participate in discussions. What chaps my hide is the abject trolling that goes on in here from people who seem intent on eliminating this group... and for what reason, I have no idea.  If anything, this is a place where at least the moderators don't have to continually spend all their time removing weenie and troll posts.

This group encompasses the Mt. Holly CWA.  NYC/SNE is not part of the Mt. Holly CWA and neither is the MA group.

Actually moderators never enter this subforum beside Rjay yearly bumping this thread. I literally never seen another moderator in this subforum... 

7 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Actually moderators never enter this subforum beside Rjay yearly bumping this thread. I literally never seen another moderator in this subforum... 

Exactly.  There hasn't really been a need, even with a handful of disruptive posters who although annoying, have not risen to the level of banning (at least yet).

IMHO, if Randy and crew feel it's time to revise the site further and consolidate the subforums, then they are perfectly within their right and position to do so immediately, whether we want it or not, and we just roll with whatever they decide.

9 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

H.A. no intention of "insulting" you or anyone.  You simply do not respect a differing point of view.  There are plenty of people who like things I find disgusting, and vice versa I'm sure.  You may pay a premium and love this place to death, but I hardly ever stop by and I'm sure you say that's great, why do I stick my nose in?  Well, simple, I want the owners of AMWX to know what I think and what may explain why this forum's participation is so low compared to surrounding areas and if they want to act, great, and if not that's cool too. What I find most surprising is that with viewership here so low, and the comments in this thread so one-sided (nearly everyone says they STRONGLY oppose merger)...almost 38% favor a merger.  Not everyone shares your view.  

• Weenie 1

On 12/6/2021 at 8:03 AM, wxman said:

I'm with you on that. Why not having a Eastern Pa forum/NJ Forum, Eastern Pa being from Scranton to Phila, and NJ from the pine barrens north. to where Walt Drag resides up around Highpoint and that area, That way we stay out of NYC's banter, and can find some good meteo discussion.