joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Canada Winter 2015-2016 discussion

Ottawa Blizzard

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember that Dec 11-12th 1992 snowfall. We had a ice storm here. Little to no snow OTG here. We were trenched in terrible winters after terrible winters here. I went to Toronto that weekend or the following one with my parents because I have a ton of family there. So much snow was OTG. I use to be envy of Toronto winters believe or not as a kid.

Toronto used to always have more snow OTG then here. That's what I remember. Apparently we have switched roles.

That storm's always described as an inland runner...tracking just inland of the EC. Strange that you would have gotten an ice storm out of it in SE MI.

I made the comment about being in a synoptic dead-zone, and the wrong side of the lake, and the downsloping...but that's always been the case. Can't really explain it. Just an unlucky decade I guess.

That storm's always described as an inland runner...tracking just inland of the EC. Strange that you would have gotten an ice storm out of it in SE MI.

I made the comment about being in a synoptic dead-zone, and the wrong side of the lake, and the downsloping...but that's always been the case. Can't really explain it. Just an unlucky decade I guess.

I could be wrong. I used to go there so many times as a kid probably have the events mixed up.

I remember that Dec 11-12th 1992 snowfall. We had a ice storm here. Little to no snow OTG here. We were trenched in terrible winters after terrible winters here. I went to Toronto that weekend or the following one with my parents because I have a ton of family there. So much snow was OTG. I use to be envy of Toronto winters believe or not as a kid.

Toronto used to always have more snow OTG then here. That's what I remember. Apparently we have switched roles.

Although there have been some exceptions over the last decade(most notably 10-11), you would expect nina winters to provide better for Toronto than Detroit. During nino years, it may be the other way around in terms of mean snowfall. A comparison of nino/neutral/nina winters would be an interesting case study.

Not as much snow as Chicago with the main storm, but we were sooooo far to the east of the track. 15"+ from a storm that tracks up Lk MI/W MI? A fluke of nature that'll probably never be repeated again.

If i had a time machine i would go back and set it to the 1999-2002 era, BUF had some of the best back to back winters on that stretch, below is a great write up by Mclaughlin. Enjoy!

MONTHLY WEATHER SUMMARY FOR BUFFALO...JANUARY 1999NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY530 AM EST MON FEB 1 1999...A MEMORABLE JANUARY FOR THE BUFFALO AREA...IN SHARP CONTRAST TO THE MILD WEATHER OF THE PREVIOUS YEAR...1999ROARED INTO WESTERN NEW YORK WITH SOME OF THE HARSHEST WINTER CONDITIONS SEEN IN 20 YEARS. THE FIRST HALF OF JANUARY FEATURED NEAR CONSTANT SNOW AND WELL BELOW NORMAL TEMPERATURES...WITH THE SNOWPACK AT MID MONTH THE GREATEST SINCE THE INFAMOUS WINTER OF 1976-77.BUT...THE WEATHER AGAIN MADE A DRASTIC TURNAROUND AS THE MONTH'S LAST TWO WEEKS WERE VERY MILD AND DRY WITH VERY LITTLE SNOWFALL. MOST OF THE HUGE SNOWPACK MELTED AWAY DURING THE STRONG THAW OF 22-24TH WITH ONLY LIMITED FLOODING.OVERALL...JANUARY HAD NORMAL TEMPERATURES BUT WAS VERY WET AND SNOWY. IT WAS THE 6TH WETTEST AND 3RD SNOWIEST JANUARY IN THE 115 YEARS OF RECORD. THE TEMPERATURE AVERAGED JUST 0.1 DEGREE BELOW NORMAL...ENDING A STREAK OF EIGHT CONSECUTIVE MILD WINTER MONTHS.ALTHOUGH THE MONTH'S AVERAGE TEMPERATURE WAS NEAR NORMAL..IT MASKED  EXTREMES. THE MONTH'S FIRST 15 DAYS AVERAGED 14 DEGREES...THE LAST 16 DAYS 32 DEGREES. ALL BUT ONE OF THE FIRST 15 DAYS WERE COLDER THAN NORMAL..ALL OF THE LAST 16 WERE NORMAL OR ABOVE. NO TEMPERATURE RECORDS WERE SET. SNOWFALL WAS THE BIG STORY OF THE MONTH. THE 65.1 INCH TOTAL WAS THE 3RD GREATEST AMOUNT EVER FOR JANUARY (MOST WAS 68.3 IN 1977) AND 4TH GREATEST FOR ANY MONTH (68.4 IN 12/85). IT APPEARED WE WOULD SHATTER THESE RECORDS AFTER A WHOPPING 60.5 DURING THE FIRST 15 DAYS...UNTIL THE SNOW "DROUGHT" OF THE LAST TWO WEEKS. THERE WAS ONLY ONE LARGE SNOWFALL...A FOOT ON THE 4TH...BUT SEVEN OTHER DAYS RECEIVED OVER 4 INCHES. THE SNOWS BEGAN AS LAKE EFFECT...BUT GENERAL OR SYNOPTIC TYPE SNOWS SET IN AS WELL...WITH ABOUT 30 INCHES LAKE AND 30 INCHES SYNOPTIC. THE REPEATED SNOWS GRADUALLY BROUGHT THE AREA TO A NEAR STANDSTILL AS THE DEPTH REACHED 25 TO 35 INCHES ACROSS THE ENTIRE REGION BY MID MONTH. THE SIEGE OF SNOW SUDDENLY GAVE WAY TO THAWING CONDITIONS DURING THE WEEKEND OF 16-17TH...WITH A STRONGER THAW ON THE FOLLOWING WEEKEND MELTING MOST OF THE SNOWPACK. THE MONTH ENDED WITH JUST A THIN SNOWCOVER.THE STRONG WARMUP AND RUNOFF DID LEAD TO SOME FLOODING DURING THE 23RD AND 24TH AS ICE JAMS DEVELOPED ON SOME LOCAL CREEKS. THE ELLICOTT AND TONAWANDA CREEKS ALSO ROSE ABOVE FLOOD STAGE FOR A TIME DURING THE FOLLOWING FEW DAYS. SOME OF THE WORST FLOODING IN 40 YEARS WAS REPORTED IN PARTS OF LANCASTER AND BOWMANSVILLE ALONG ELLICOTT CREEK.LAKE ERIE STARTED THE MONTH AT NEAR RECORD WARMTH BUT QUICKLY COOLED TO 32 BY THE 9TH...CLOSE TO ITS NORMAL DATE. THERE WAS MUCH ICE COVER IN THE WESTERN TWO-THIRDS OF THE LAKE BY MID MONTH BUT THE EASTERN BASIN WAS STILL MOSTLY OPEN. JANUARY WAS A DISMAL MONTH AS WELL...WITH SUNSHINE ONLY 17 PERCENT OF THE POSSIBLE. ONE NOTE OF INTEREST...MORE SNOW FELL DURING THE FIRST TWO WEEKS OF 1999 THAN IN ALL OF 1998 AT BUFFALO.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/01/05/nyregion/snowstorm-brings-buffalo-to-a-halt.html

I'm thinking I may have to take a drive north up to Muskoka on the holiday weekend to see some winter.

I was JUST going to ask about Muskoka. Loved falls and winters the 2 years I lived there. They too, even fell victim to some of the thaws sometimes. I was checking webcams out for there today and it didn't look like they had much. A few inches maybe?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived