• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Canada Winter 2015-2016 discussion

Ottawa Blizzard

Getting some unexplainable mood flakes/-SN the last hour or so. Blue skies straight above and a fire red sunset to the west. Kind of fitting as probably the last flakes of the winter.

The next couple of weeks look warm, but I'd be shocked if this was it for the winter. Late March and April are ripe for at least flakes.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did some research on Mod-Strong Nina winters in London, On (YXU) since 1980. Thought this was appropriate as it looks like it is the most probable ENSO state for next winter given current data. 

All data is based on ERSSTv4 ONI numbers.

Borderline Moderate(ONI Peak -0.8 to -0.9)

83-84: 234.5cm

00-01: 277.1cm

08-09: 265cm

11-12: 132.2cm

Moderate years(ONI peak -1.0 to -1.5)

84-85: 255.1cm

95-96: 185.9cm

98-99: 175cm

07-08: 260cm

10-11: 306.5cm

Strong Years(ON peak >-1.5)

88-89: 144.3cm

99-00: 176.3cm

There were 3 more strong nina years since 1950. 

55-56: 192.2cm

73-74: 171.8cm

75-76: 256.0cm

Did some research on Mod-Strong Nina winters in London, On (YXU) since 1980. Thought this was appropriate as it looks like it is the most probable ENSO state for next winter given current data. 

All data is based on ERSSTv4 ONI numbers.

Borderline Moderate(ONI Peak -0.8 to -0.9)

83-84: 234.5cm

00-01: 277.1cm

08-09: 265cm

11-12: 132.2cm

Moderate years(ONI peak -1.0 to -1.5)

84-85: 255.1cm

95-96: 185.9cm

98-99: 175cm

07-08: 260cm

10-11: 306.5cm

Strong Years(ON peak >-1.5)

88-89: 144.3cm

99-00: 176.3cm

There were 3 more strong nina years since 1950. 

55-56: 192.2cm

73-74: 171.8cm

75-76: 256.0cm

Thanks for the research. I'll be captain obvious here an say I think we want to stay away from a strong Nina. Data also shows how aberrant 2011-12 was. I'm guessing other teleconnections overwhelmed the Nina that winter.

Thanks for the research. I'll be captain obvious here an say I think we want to stay away from a strong Nina. Data also shows how aberrant 2011-12 was. I'm guessing other teleconnections overwhelmed the Nina that winter.

Agree about not wanting a strong Nina in the MW/Lakes. The moderate and borderline moderate Ninas also had significant Arctic outbreaks, i.e. December 1983, January 1985, February 1996.

Forecast accuracy continues to be dismal for MBY by EC and TWN. I mostly follow TWN so most examples are from the outputs of their engine. 2 and a quarter years now of bad forecasts by them. This week they forecast rain on Tuesday and Wednesday; barely got anything for the last 72 hours and yesterday morning when 5-10 mm of it was shown, there wasn't even a shower (just mist). Dense fog advisory more than 8 hours before any fog showed up. That's not really a big deal though because in the country it can be a lot worse. Temps wise was okay this week but countless times they have been 6ºC off or more.

A few weeks ago TWN really had some flips. This was around the time of that non-storm Ontario had before last week's big one. In Feb on a Sunday they said it was going to be below freezing, snowing, and a heavy LES event right after that which didn't even prove a flake to come down!!! What the heck!? Then flipped to show +8ºC and cloudy with sunny breaks just 60 hours beforehand.

I don't remember summer 2005 has being very hot, but it was pleasant.

The last day of winter was last Sunday, then the overnight showers started and that signaled it. Thank heavens this winter went by fast. The snow is melting fast. This cycle is on track to be one of the earliest unveilings of the last 10 or 15 years. 2012 won't be beat but can't complain at all about this. I have nothing to compare the medium range to from memory because there aren't huge record spikes up here but instead its going to be a constant, well above normal period with 5ºC lows and sun/clouds.

Forecast accuracy continues to be dismal for MBY by EC and TWN. I mostly follow TWN so most examples are from the outputs of their engine. 2 and a quarter years now of bad forecasts by them. This week they forecast rain on Tuesday and Wednesday; barely got anything for the last 72 hours and yesterday morning when 5-10 mm of it was shown, there wasn't even a shower (just mist). Dense fog advisory more than 8 hours before any fog showed up. That's not really a big deal though because in the country it can be a lot worse. Temps wise was okay this week but countless times they have been 6ºC off or more.

A few weeks ago TWN really had some flips. This was around the time of that non-storm Ontario had before last week's big one. In Feb on a Sunday they said it was going to be below freezing, snowing, and a heavy LES event right after that which didn't even prove a flake to come down!!! What the heck!? Then flipped to show +8ºC and cloudy with sunny breaks just 60 hours beforehand.

I don't remember summer 2005 has being very hot, but it was pleasant.

The last day of winter was last Sunday, then the overnight showers started and that signaled it. Thank heavens this winter went by fast. The snow is melting fast. This cycle is on track to be one of the earliest unveilings of the last 10 or 15 years. 2012 won't be beat but can't complain at all about this. I have nothing to compare the medium range to from memory because there aren't huge record spikes up here but instead its going to be a constant, well above normal period with 5ºC lows and sun/clouds.

June 2005 was very hot.

Environment Canada cleaned/fixed up the data for the downtown Toronto U of T station from late December to early January. Snowfall for Dec 28th is the same at 4.4 cm, but the 3.2 cm figure for Dec 29th was adjusted to zero as it was an error (there was no snow that day, just rain). The data for Dec 30 was adjusted from zero a trace of rain and snow as I remember there was a mixture of rain showers/snow grains late that afternoon. For Dec. 31st, snowfall adjusted from 0.5 cm to 0.4 cm, but on Jan 1st, it went the other way (0.5 cm to 0.6 cm). The 0.2 mm of rain for Jan 2nd was removed and adjusted to a trace of snow (there was no rain that day, just flurries). So as of today, here's the monthly snowfall breakdown:

Nov: 0.4 cm

Dec: 4.8 cm (adjusted from previous reading of 8.1 cm)

Jan: 8.8 cm (adjusted from previous reading of 8.7 cm)

Feb: 14.9 cm

Mar: 19.2 cm

TOTAL: 48.1 cm (18.9")

For Pearson Airport,

Nov: 1.0 cm

Dec: 3.2 cm

Jan: 10.6 cm

Feb: 17.8 cm

Mar: 11.2 cm

TOTAL: 43.8 cm (17.2")

It looks like we could add to this next week as suggested by the latest model trends.

• 2 weeks later...

June 2005 was very hot.

I do remember something like that but I don't remember too much overall. I do know that it was an awesome month and I was very happy. June is my favorite month and when its linked to extreme heat I'm always in a good spot with that.

Nice little early season event. In fact this was the earliest tornado in Ontario history (previous was March 27 1991). Also the first tornado in Canada this year.

eyVG1sU.jpg

I think its really cool that the first tornado occurred essentially right in my backyard. It keeps happening like this. These brief, unwarned tornadoes keep happening all around me since 2005 and I'm the tornado connoisseur  :lol: . I saw the skies and they did seem a tad unusual that afternoon and all that crossed my mind was that it could storm a bit - just a nice drive and a tornado would have been served to the one seeking it as a lifetime goal  :rolleyes: .

The first round of snow came at 3:00 am today and I was taken aback by the heavy-ish nature of it. Moderate flake size. It covered most surfaces and then started covering the road before it melted sometime this morning. Round 2 started a little more than a hour ago and its a trace on the now-green grass. Its much lighter than the overnight round and is fine flake size wise.

Archived