• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Winter 2015-2016

meatwad

How do you know what's gonna happen in 9 days when the models can't even get it right 1 day out ?

Models are much better at predicting the overall 500mb pattern in the long range vs being able to predict how individual waves will interact with each other and cause forcing in other locations that could enhance or weaken the background pattern state which ultimately lead to storm development and track. Factor in chaos, not 100% data input, and errors in the mathematical algorithms and a very small detail being wrong at day 2 in a forecast can exponentially increase error as you get out further in time.

Anyways, here is the 00z GEFS and EPS at day 10:

post-328-0-76527800-1453810941_thumb.png

post-328-0-32060200-1453810949_thumb.png

Both agree that we see a +PNA (ridging on west coast) -AO (ridging in Arctic) and at least neutral NAO. The pattern would likely supply cold air, and if a storm were to spin up it would affect an area in the east.

For now, we will moderate, and eventually get into a zonal flow, then a trough will form out west and get pretty strong which will pump ridging up in the east and we will probably get really warm for a day or 2 at least, then some sort of storm system cutting to our west before we see a pattern more favorable for a storm.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Models are much better at predicting the overall 500mb pattern in the long range vs being able to predict how individual waves will interact with each other and cause forcing in other locations that could enhance or weaken the background pattern state which ultimately lead to storm development and track. Factor in chaos, not 100% data input, and errors in the mathematical algorithms and a very small detail being wrong at day 2 in a forecast can exponentially increase error as you get out further in time.

Anyways, here is the 00z GEFS and EPS at day 10:

Both agree that we see a +PNA (ridging on west coast) -AO (ridging in Arctic) and at least neutral NAO. The pattern would likely supply cold air, and if a storm were to spin up it would affect a.

Not a bad long range look there.

The Gefs is a bit more favorable for us storm track wise, as the trough is centered more over MS, instead of AL.

This is a pretty nice link to see what kind of snowstorms we have received. Credit goes to Ian from the midatlantic forum.

http://xmacis.rcc-acis.org/

Single station -> extremes -> year range: 1980-2016 -> Length of period 2 or 3 days (will miss some if you only do two, or even PDII if you do three). Station selection - station of choice.

Something to keep an eye on for next week.  I know its reaching and its only the DGEX at this time but if models keep trending south with the next storm we could get in on the game...

eta.acsnow132.gif

Yes I see this is a lake cutter however on the Canadian it is also trending south too. Something to watch. After this Feb 3rd storm comes it will pull in the cold for a week or so of potential storms.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_42.pnggfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_43.png

Looks nice, if I had to nit pick a 10+ day map I'd like to see a bit of blocking to slow it down a little bit, then it could really be a monster.

I'm sorta on auto pilot mode until Thursday or Friday to just get out of this torch period. Hopefully by then this storm is still showing up. Before that though we might have to keep an eye on that little clipper Saturday too.

colonel717, when you post maps, I think its better if you would save them, then upload and attach to your post. If you hot link they change every 24 hours and the conversation about them makes no sense.

I usually go through imagur. I don't know if the ones I post change though. I can't believe the next threat besides the clipper is still 240+hrs out.

A lot of energy around and the strat warming looks to be what will bring the cold. With the arctic jet making an appearance it's game on if it can phase in. Of course this could turn bad if it phases too early and cuts west of the mountains. I bet the end of the week we will start seeing more threats show up.

Archived