joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 6th Rain/Wind/Severe Event

HillsdaleMIWeather

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's several things to like about this system (especially on the deeper solutions) but the mid level lapse rates aren't one of them.  Nonetheless, should be enough for at least a lower end severe threat.  If we could somehow manage CAPE AOA 500 J/kg, I think the threat would go up substantially.

It appears that the Euro is roughly 12 hours ahead of the NAM but with a very similar solution. The Euro deepens the low much quicker but if the NAM verifies, that would result in more favorable timing on Friday in addition for more time for moisture return into the Ohio Valley. This is definitely the most dynamic system we've had this fall so I'd be surprised if we don't see at least a low-end slight risk on Friday. With such strong forcing and shear, I don't think it would take much CAPE at all to really get things going (LI's are negative anyway).

gfsUS_850_vvel_105.gif

If this system can slow down just a bit we would be looking at a pretty solid severe weather event for MI and OH. I wouldn't be shocked if we got severe weather with the current setup as models depict strong kinematics with the rapidly deepening low. Given a slower ejection would allow for some daytime heating on Friday though, which could be the last piece of the puzzle, that said I am interested in this system even in current projections.

Not just for the 6th, but the ensemble guidance has been consistently projecting a pattern favorable for perhaps multiple severe events or at least robust ejecting systems between now and sometime post-Veterans Day.

First thought would be the initial one doesn't produce too much due to lack of instability/etc, but then look out afterwards as moisture trajectories become re-established and perhaps a half-decent EML plume can develop.

test8.gif

I'm probably more interested in the post-frontal wind spike potential at this point.  Doesn't pay to get too specific right now but anytime the models have deepening >1 mb/hour, it gets my attention.  As progged, pretty rapid pressure rises on the back side.  Can't have any delay in the surface low bombing though as that would result in most of the strong winds ending up in Canada or just clipping part of the Lakes. 

IWX

ALTHOUGH THERE IS A LIKELIHOOD THAT  INSTABILITY WILL BE WEAK TO AT BEST MARGINAL AHEAD OF THIS  SYSTEM...VERY STRONG UPPER LEVEL DYNAMICS AND WINDS MAY BE MORE  THEN ENOUGH TO CHANNEL DOWN HIGHER MOMENTUM WINDS EVEN THROUGH A  WEAK LINE OF SHOWERS ALONG OR JUST AHEAD OF THE FRONT. THE LATEST  GFS BUFKIT PROFILES INDICATE THE FRONTAL PASSAGE FRIDAY BETWEEN 10  AM EST NORTHWEST TO 7 PM EST SOUTHEAST OVER LIMA. ALSO...GFS  NON/CONVECTIVE WINDS GUSTS ARE IN EXCESS OF 50 KNOTS/58 MPH...SO  IT IS LIKELY SOME TYPE OF WIND HEADLINE MAY BE NEEDED.  

I'm probably more interested in the post-frontal wind spike potential at this point.  Doesn't pay to get too specific right now but anytime the models have deepening >1 mb/hour, it gets my attention.  As progged, pretty rapid pressure rises on the back side.  Can't have any delay in the surface low bombing though as that would result in most of the strong winds ending up in Canada or just clipping part of the Lakes. 

Seems to happen a lot the last few years.  Can't seem to be able to buy one that bombs further south/west anymore.  I'm hopeful the storm showing up in the 9-10 day range takes off earlier on.

The Euro now seems to be the outlier...the NAM and GFS match well up until 84 hours with rapid deepening thereafter. The Euro deepens the low sooner and farther northwest. As a side-note though, the Euro also shows the beginnings of an absolute monster towards the end of next week (hour 240).

ILN:

OF ANOTHER

CONCERN IS THE INCREASING SIGNAL FOR A POTENTIAL COOL SEASON QLCS AS
DECENT FRONTAL CONVERGENCE DUE TO A STRONG LLJ ACCOMPANIES FRONTAL
PASSAGE. CURRENT MODEL MLCAPE VALUES INDICATE AT LEAST 200 J/KG
WHICH IS ENOUGH INSTABILITY IN THESE TYPICAL COOL SEASON WEATHER
SYSTEMS. THUS...WILL MAINTAIN OUR LIKELY POPS FOR SHOWERS
ALONG WITH A CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS. GIVEN THE HIGH SHEAR/LOW CAPE
REGIME...THE POTENTIAL IS THERE FOR SMALL BOWING SEGMENTS TO
DEVELOP ON A LINE WITH THE THREAT FOR ENHANCED DAMAGING WINDS OR A
SPIN UP TORNADO. WE WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR THESE THREATS AND WILL
PLACE IN THE HWO AS CONFIDENCE INCREASES TO AN APPROPRIATE LEVEL.

Archived