• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Storm Erika

I'm probably the furthest thing from an expert there is in here, but I don't see how the tropical model intensity forecasts, and the global model track forecasts, are anything but codependent. I mean, how can you trust an intensity forecast without the context of a track - there's obviously a lot more than internal dynamics at play (shearing, dry air, mountains - all track dependent). And, at the same time, as intensity shapes track (see recent debate on Danny), how can you forecast track without a good model of intensity?

Bottom line - and I'm sure this is a gross oversimplification of the middle ground between TH and DTK - but don't both global and tropical models have something useful to contribute to the forecasts that Mets derive from their analyses of both?

This would be a correct hypothesis. The NHC, for example, often mentions the GFS and EURO and other globals models, as well as hi-res hurricane models when creating their forecasts for both track and intensity. If they used either one (hi-res or global) too much they would often get bunk forecasts, since there is usually no exact consensus between the two. Such as for intensity, at least this go around, if one used only hurricane models like the GFDL/HWRF they would get stronger storms, then compared to the global models. 

Compare the GFDL to any other model... GFDL shows a 120-140kt intense Hurricane north of the Bahamas at 126hrs. HWRF shows something somewhat similar, at 100-110kts, but to a lesser degree. Most over guidance does not show quite this strong of a storm at that time, at least 18Z guidance, and the 00Z guidance that is in so far.

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reason why the GFS shows a weak system... It takes the coc right over PR and HSP. It is however does still keep the circulation intact... and then moves it over the 90 degree water mentioned above, so that intensity of <34kts is a bit questionable.

My post was about the first 60 hours. Really the first 48. The GFS keeps the circulation in tact. Beyond that I could care less what bogus intensity it's predicting over the almost 90 degree waters in the Bahamas.

If you could care less about the intensity...then how can you care about the track? Both aspects of a tropical cyclone can directly affect the other.

If you could care less about the intensity...then how can you care about the track? Both aspects of a tropical cyclone can directly affect the other.

Because global models lack the resolution to properly forecast intensity. Use globals for track and general idea. After that I favor the higher res hurricane models.

Because global models lack the resolution to properly forecast intensity. Use globals for track and general idea. After that I favor the higher res hurricane models.

:facepalm: If intesity plays a significant role in a tropical storms track...then how can you "just" use the track and not take into account that it could be completely wrong based on mis-modeled intensity?  

You are taking the track as solid data, yet in the same sentence saying the intensity is wrong. The track that is being represented is a result of the modeled intesity.

Problem is that the convection seems to have pulled it south. If that spin on the radar is indeed the new LLC it would be too far south to miss PR unless it goes NNW from here on.

Not too concerned about land interaction on PR with such a broad system. The most viable option is to blend the hurricane model intensity with the globals. At least meet them halfway or you begin taking large risks.

It seems we will need more than a brush with PR to poof out Erika. 

Canadian has a weak piece of garbage hitting FL. Models split again.... 

How about we just throw darts at a dart board, with each dart color representing a particular model, the one closest to the bulls-eye wins, and see what we get?

Archived