PHL...0.65 or 0.70" much less to the west MUCH heavier over s NJ

LGA 0.75... Much heavuer over LI much less over interior se NY and nw NJ

BDL 0.90"

BOS 1.00"

TAKEN VERBATIM EASTERN MD IS BIG WINNER FROM 0Z ggem and 0z euro

shouldn't we wait for the 6z NAM and DGEX before getting excited? :arrowhead:

on second thought, maybe not :thumbsup:

Guest someguy

Yeah. You called BS. As you sometimes do. Which was the basis for my initial question, i.e., define BS. And what's the source of the BS error... bad model, bad input etc?... Everything's cleared up so no reason to draw out...

ed

I am still worried about that PIG Low sitting out there and ALL the Models moving it out

If you wnat something that isa could go wrong thing

that would be it

ps come on ed man the RANTS thing was a needless dig ya Know?....

It won't be similar at all.

This one will be more compacted toward the shore if the EC/GGEM are correct.

I seriously think the ECM is paltry on QPF compared to the strength of this system....with the low pressure and captured H5 trough, we're probably talking about 2" QPF for PHL/NYC/SE NY/LI/CT/NJ....I think this is basically a January 1996 solution with huge QPF and amazing ratios due to the 1036mb high pressing in from the Midwest. Finally a true blizzard if this comes close to verifying.

RICH 0.90" all snow

DCA 0.50" tops SHARP drop off to the west

BDL 0.90"

BOS 1.00"

I think it's safe to say that the ECMWF is flirting with cat 5 NESIS status given the large area impacted. Although, the snowfall distribution may keep it below that.

Does sound more like March 1960 than Jan 1996..... although March 1960 didnt have heavy snowfall as far southward as this. But intensity-wise and with more snow on the coast, it seems to be somewhat similar to March 1960

Guest someguy

It won't be similar at all.

This one will be more compacted toward the shore if the EC/GGEM are correct.

strongly agree

BUT it may be emore like Jan 1996 in terms of its size

but HM is correct all the 0z MODELS do show a real clear sharp western edge to the Precip

Guest someguy

I seriously think the ECM is paltry on QPF compared to the strength of this system....with the low pressure and captured H5 trough, we're probably talking about 2" QPF for PHL/NYC/SE NY/LI/CT/NJ....I think this is basically a January 1996 solution with huge QPF and amazing ratios due to the 1036mb high pressing in from the Midwest. Finally a true blizzard if this comes close to verifying.

Not sure I agree

its not JUST the 0z EURO the 0z GGEM is like that as well

a very sharp west side to the precip

sure the qpf numbers COULD go up .... But they are showing ths western edge for a reason Nz

RICH 0.90" all snow

DCA 0.50" tops SHARP drop off to the west

BDL 0.90"

BOS 1.00"

on the pay site I have, PHL records .95" qpf

I know Dave was just estimating, but for those of you in PHL, closer to 1 inch qpf looks like the better number (assuming my pay site numbers are correct)

ed

I am still worried about that PIG Low sitting out there and ALL the Models moving it out

If you wnat something that isa could go wrong thing

that would be it

ps come on ed man the RANTS thing was a needless dig ya Know?....

It was poor word choice. But also part of the caricature that makes you a forum legend.

is there a precedent for a strong storm like this being fairly close to the coast and yet having such a sharp cutoff just to the west where places in central maryland like montgomery county would get much less than places in east of dc in maryland?

Not sure I agree

its not JUST the 0z EURO the 0z GGEM is like that as well

a very sharp west side to the precip

sure the qpf numbers COULD go up .... But they are showing ths western edge for a reason Nz

I agree that there'd be a sharp cut-off to the precip field as a very intense low pressure tends to have banding pretty tight to the low center. But I still think the QPF within the deformation band will increase if the models hold this solution...there's definitely going to be more areas with 1.5"-2.0" than shown verbatim with a low bombing from 980s to 960s very close to the coast. I think NYC would approach 2 feet of snow if the ECM verified.

Also, I think the Atlantic low is acting like a 50/50 and giving us the blocking we need...it doesn't look suppressive to me. My biggest worry with this storm is that the surface low will move slightly more quickly from west to east, allowing it to escape before the potent northern stream energy phases in completely and allows for the H5 capture.

The sharp western cutoff could be due to the arctic nature of the energy responsible for the amplification (i.e. dry). I'm not talking about the initial PAC s/w that comes out of the roaring PAC jet, but the PV-like feature that dives in from NE Canada and creates this monstrous trough complex that seems reminiscent of triple phases of the past, but I am not sure an AJ exists in this case with all the higher latitude blocking thats been present.

is there a precedent for a strong storm like this being fairly close to the coast and yet having such a sharp cutoff just to the west where places in central maryland like montgomery county would get much less than places in east of dc in maryland?

Thinking of storms like March 1960 and Feb 1989-- which occured in a mod la nina, coincidentally enough ;) 20 inches in ACY basically nothing in Philly.

Most storms have a sharp cut off somewhere lol.

Quick explanation why this stays compact instead of expanding inland as it moves north?

1. Limited moisture when compared to the greats like anything from last year. It will pick up moisture for sure, but it won't be quite as intense as past HECS events.

2. Phasing job means sharp vorticity max that begins to get channelized toward the Mid Atlantic coast. This decreases PVA across much of the interior regions.

3. Atlantic moisture and frontogensis will focus the main lift over the coastal areas and ageostrophic flow would produce subsidence to the west of this feature.

All this makes for a tight UVM center but an explosive one.

Thinking of storms like March 1960 and Feb 1989-- which occured in a mod la nina, coincidentally enough ;) 20 inches in ACY basically nothing in Philly.

Most storms have a sharp cut off somewhere lol.

yea but the low was probably further east than what the euro is showing right now for that storm im sure right?

I agree that there'd be a sharp cut-off to the precip field as a very intense low pressure tends to have banding pretty tight to the low center. But I still think the QPF within the deformation band will increase if the models hold this solution...there's definitely going to be more areas with 1.5"-2.0" than shown verbatim with a low bombing from 980s to 960s very close to the coast. I think NYC would approach 2 feet of snow if the ECM verified.

Does this resemble any of the storms from last winter? When I read what you wrote, with a storm intensifying that close to the coast, the storm I immediately thought of was the middle Feb storm last winter.... Feb 11, 2010. Two feet might be asking a bit much, but we've gotten a foot before in the kind of scenario youre depicting.

Archived