Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Southern Ontario Spring 2015 Discussion

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Superbowl party. Back now. Almost impossible to accurately gauge with all the blowing and drifting but I think about 4cm is good here in central Etobicoke.

Not getting WestCoaster's pessimism. Everywhere upstream started as pixie dust and transitioned to better ratio fluff. We've got 12-14 hrs more of snow to come. Looks like 15-25cm should be a good # for the city.

Hope you had fun at your party!

I didn't know upstream they started with pixie dust. I've been surprised with how small the flake size has been. I'm a bit disappointed because I don't think I'm going to beat my total for the December system (21cm) which is what I was hoping for. 

Superbowl party. Back now. Almost impossible to accurately gauge with all the blowing and drifting but I think about 4cm is good here in central Etobicoke.

Not getting WestCoaster's pessimism. Everywhere upstream started as pixie dust and transitioned to better ratio fluff. We've got 12-14 hrs more of snow to come. Looks like 15-25cm should be a good # for the city.

Ya just got back from one now. Roads are bad. Agree that amounts should be fairly uniform across the gta.

I didn't know upstream they started with pixie dust. I've been surprised with how small the flake size has been. I'm a bit disappointed because I don't think I'm going to beat my total for the December system (21cm) which is what I was hoping for. 

I noticed in the last 15 minutes the flake size has increased here a bit. Not dendrites, but slightly larger plates.

Definitely not here. I can still see high rises 500 m away. Near white-out would mean you can't see the houses across the street.

Yup. I can barely see my neighbours house right in-front of mine. Visibility is down. Temperature is around -14.0C at my place. Fatter flakes too. 

17cm+ on top of what you got? I think you've got more than a fighting shot!

FX_

About 18-22 cm for Toronto, 30-45 cm for Hamilton-Niagara due to combined lake enhancement and slight southward wobble of low pressure late tonight, otherwise could have said 25-30 cm Toronto (still could happen). Definitely a severe blizzard for areas west of Lake Ontario given the likely wind gusts to 80 or 90 km/hr.  The southward wobble may give heavier totals in wNY than some forecasts, strong banding likely by early morning across Rochester to Lockport and even into Buffalo.

Good to hear you Canadians "celebrating" the Super Bowl. Even though the result sucked IMO. :lol:

Seriously though, good luck up there. Looks pretty good I think for a rather respectable snow. Looking forward to the photos tomorrow. :)

Ya just got back from one now. Roads are bad. Agree that amounts should be fairly uniform across the gta.

Where about in Mississauga are you located? Im in south Mississauga and my conditions seem more closely aligned with Oakville-Hamilton instead of the Toronto crew. I was out at a Super Bowl party and drove, the conditions are a mess. A bus was stuck on Lakeshore blocking traffic. I tried to stay a bit up to date on the radar and noticed that the QEW/427 seemed to have a wall earlier (4-5pm) blocking the advancement. 

Good to hear you Canadians "celebrating" the Super Bowl. Even though the result sucked IMO. :lol:

Seriously though, good luck up there. Looks pretty good I think for a rather respectable snow. Looking forward to the photos tomorrow. :)

I was rooting for the hawks too. Pity they squandered a 10 point lead.

Yeah, pics en route assuming things dont screw up.

Where about in Mississauga are you located? Im in south Mississauga and my conditions seem more closely aligned with Oakville-Hamilton instead of the Toronto crew. I was out at a Super Bowl party and drove, the conditions are a mess. A bus was stuck on Lakeshore blocking traffic. I tried to stay a bit up to date on the radar and noticed that the QEW/427 seemed to have a wall earlier (4-5pm) blocking the advancement.

I'm at Mavis/Rathburn near the 403.

FX_

About 18-22 cm for Toronto, 30-45 cm for Hamilton-Niagara due to combined lake enhancement and slight southward wobble of low pressure late tonight, otherwise could have said 25-30 cm Toronto (still could happen). Definitely a severe blizzard for areas west of Lake Ontario given the likely wind gusts to 80 or 90 km/hr.  The southward wobble may give heavier totals in wNY than some forecasts, strong banding likely by early morning across Rochester to Lockport and even into Buffalo.

The HRRR wants no part in the south wobble and it is initializing nicely right now. I wouldn't put too much stock in UNYSIS pressure falls that are further south near KPIT.

The HRRR wants no part in the south wobble and it is initializing nicely right now. I wouldn't put too much stock in UNYSIS pressure falls that are further south near KPIT.

Also I think Chris Scott mentioned that a slight south shift wouldn't matter wrt to snowfall accumulations being lower.

Let's hope school's are closed tomorrow.

I don't see why they would, at least for the GTA. Heaviest snow should wind up well before the morning commute. This fluffy snow is pretty easy to clear. 25 cm shouldn't cause too big of a fuss, if areas even hit that.

York is the only school I could see closing given this defo band we see form over them every.single.system.

I don't see why they would, at least for the GTA. Heaviest snow should wind up well before the morning commute. This fluffy snow is pretty easy to clear. 25 cm shouldn't cause too big of a fuss, if areas even hit that.

York is the only school I could see closing given this defo band we see form over them every.single.system.

Not certain about that. Not enough to say "well" before. But it's almost impossible to get schools to close here, so even if it's +SNing at 7am I think school's will remain open.

And honestly, I checked the cams on the 400 at the 407 over southern York under that band. The snow doesn't seem to be falling appreciably heavier there. Have there been twitter reports indicating heavier amounts?

Not certain about that. Not enough to say "well" before. But it's almost impossible to get schools to close here, so even if it's +SNing at 7am I think school's will remain open.

And honestly, I checked the cams on the 400 at the 407 over southern York under that band. The snow doesn't seem to be falling appreciably heavier there. Have there been twitter reports indicating heavier amounts?

They all closed on feb 2013.

Archived