joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Southern Ontario Spring 2015 Discussion

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to see some more of South-Central Ontario warrant the upgrade to WSW's.   Congrats to the Waterloo-Toronto crew for making the grade.......

Let's see what the afternoon brings.   It is encouraging to read about the intensity gradually increasing to our west and SW.   So far locally maybe 2 inches but it's been light snow.    Not what I would characterize as a storm, but I would like to think that is because it's only getting started.

I don't have the more recent data at hand but I do have the old Toronto City printed records (in inches) for the period 1846-1967 for snowfall, and the daily records in that period were 9.8" (1908) for the first and just 6.6" (1967) for the second. There were no two-day falls 1st-2nd that changed that in any way (the 1908 storm could be called 10.0" two-day as 0.2" fell on Jan 31, and to compare with this current storm, 9.9" 1st-2nd as there was 0.1" on Feb 2nd -- no rainfall reported with either of those daily record snowfalls). A larger fall of 14.5" occurred 2nd-3rd of 1910 with 5.0 plus 9.5 on the 3rd which was the daily record for the 3rd. (Feb 4, 1900 with 6.0" then Feb 5th 1863 with 16.0" as part of a three-day total of 19.0" give you a few other markers from similar dates). No rainfall reported in these storms either.

Maybe somebody could augment this info with more recent years, my guess is 20 cm or 8 inches from this looming storm and it may be about the same amounts on each date, so would have to go some to beat either existing daily record for Toronto (city).

Airport record is probably about half an inch. :)

I don't have the more recent data at hand but I do have the old Toronto City printed records (in inches) for the period 1846-1967 for snowfall, and the daily records in that period were 9.8" (1908) for the first and just 6.6" (1967) for the second. There were no two-day falls 1st-2nd that changed that in any way (the 1908 storm could be called 10.0" two-day as 0.2" fell on Jan 31). A larger fall of 14.5" occurred 2nd-3rd of 1910 with 5.0 plus 9.5 on the 3rd which was the daily record for the 3rd. (Feb 4, 1900 with 6.0" then Feb 5th 1863 with 16.0" as part of a three-day total of 19.0" give you a few other markers from similar dates).

Maybe somebody could augment this info with more recent years, my guess is 20 cm or 8 inches from this looming storm and it may be about the same amounts on each date, so would have to go some to beat either existing daily record for Toronto (city).

Airport record is probably about half an inch. :)

What are your thoughts on this storm fr the GTA?

Did they? I didn't know. Faint memory. The last time they had a widespread blizzard warning was GHD though. Since then, they've been really conservative.

ISSUED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA

AT 5:03 AM EST MONDAY 6 JANUARY 2014.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

WATCHES/WARNINGS IN EFFECT FOR SOUTHERN ONTARIO...

BLIZZARD WARNING FOR:

=NEW= CALEDON

=NEW= HURON - PERTH

=NEW= WATERLOO - WELLINGTON

=NEW= DUFFERIN - INNISFIL

=NEW= GREY - BRUCE

=NEW= BARRIE - ORILLIA - MIDLAND

=NEW= PORT CARLING - PORT SEVERN

=NEW= BRACEBRIDGE - GRAVENHURST.

It was downgraded to snow squall warnings that eve

ISSUED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA

AT 5:03 AM EST MONDAY 6 JANUARY 2014.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

WATCHES/WARNINGS IN EFFECT FOR SOUTHERN ONTARIO...

BLIZZARD WARNING FOR:

=NEW= CALEDON

=NEW= HURON - PERTH

=NEW= WATERLOO - WELLINGTON

=NEW= DUFFERIN - INNISFIL

=NEW= GREY - BRUCE

=NEW= BARRIE - ORILLIA - MIDLAND

=NEW= PORT CARLING - PORT SEVERN

=NEW= BRACEBRIDGE - GRAVENHURST.

It was downgraded to snow squall warnings that eve

Oh didn't know about that, nice! What did you end up getting from this? I remember I recorded around 12-15cm. 

Oh didn't know about that, nice! What did you end up getting from this? I remember I recorded around 12-15cm.

the day before we had 16cm iirc, the blizz warning was for "life threatening" snow squalls is how ec worded it. was sunny all day, the warning got canceled, and then a huge squall parked over KW with almost zero visibility. But it only lasted about 2 hrs

the day before we had 16cm iirc, the blizz warning was for "life threatening" snow squalls is how ec worded it. was sunny all day, the warning got canceled, and then a huge squall parked over KW with almost zero visibility. But it only lasted about 2 hrs

Nice! Classic EC. Either they underestimate or overestimate. Then again, weather is unpredictable right? Your region is in a prime area to get LES off Lake Huron with the right winds in the Winter. Well last Winter was amazing, so 16cm is good. 

Nice! Classic EC. Either they underestimate or overestimate. Then again, weather is unpredictable right? Your region is in a prime area to get LES off Lake Huron with the right winds in the Winter. Well last Winter was amazing, so 16cm is good.

I remember that event. I live closer to lake huron and it really was a week of nasty squalls and wind. Schools were closed for a week - roads weren't nice.

Looking forward to the coming event. Even in the snowbelts in Southwestern Ontario it hasn't been the snowy winter of years past.

I

I think that's based on the old SWS. CP24 loops a prerecorded broadcast on weekends too. I think.

They had Jill Coulton on, she informed them about the warning and then mentioned that it meant 5-15 for the GTA and 15-30cm from Windsor-YHM-Niagara. God forbid we bust high. 

Tis the post GHD era.

Archived