northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Southern Ontario Spring 2015 Discussion

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS beginning to join in on the fun. The free maps suggest QPF around 1" but i'll update when wxbell maps come in to confirm at a higher res. The 12z run had a little under 0.6" of QPF.

attachicon.gifUSA_ASNOWIPER_sfc_090.gif

fyi...I'm going to keep my thoughts on this storm in the main thread. Aside from northern MI, we're basically the only region "in" on this storm. Shouldn't have our discussion buried by ORD/DTW talk.

I've been getting SN since 8:00 am and at times +SN. The flakes are finally huge and fluffy after a whole winter of terrible fine snow that amounts to little. I haven't been in the loop this week so I don't know too much about the setup. The forecast showed either yesterday or today getting 5-10 cm so maybe this is it but on radar it appears to be LES. Whatever this type of LES is, its really great and wish it occurred more because instead of those bands that are a big hit or miss, this is like a wide region of SN rates but there is a very strong streamer right at the north part of the peninsula. This is one of the best periods snow-wise of the winter after getting jipped non-stop. I don't trust TWN forecast right now, its been off recently and something tells me its about to be wrong again...especially when current conditions is showing just overcast while its ripping out there. For the weekend, 13 cm total. Then on Friday the 13th, showing the coldest day of the winter when a high around -18ºC and a low about -25ºC  :thumbsdown: .

Over the week I got a few bursts of 5-10 cm and it is steadily growing the snowpack here. Its about average now. So far today I estimate around 2-3.5" or 8 cm max.

Seriously, just put him on ignore. It's done wonders for me. I actually enjoy reading the SOnt discussions again.

Haven't picked up much snow here since Friday, maybe around 2cm or so. The trees currently have a nice ice coating on the branches from the freezing drizzle. Still looks and feels like winter though, so no real complaints.

Do us all a favour and just quit weather for a while.

I don't see how anybody can't have an opinion? I have that same right as you do and everybody else here. I may not have the same standards, maybe i expect a bit more, but thats a self opinion or self interest. It just disappoints me a bit when were shrugged into a hole during a weather event, and even though i appreciate every bit of it, I just hope we could have gotten more. Narrowing it down with all the cold weather, I would rate this Winter a "B" so far. I don't see why everybody has to get on my case and butcher me down whenever i proclaim an opinion. It's like I'm an enemy here. 

But maybe your right. I should stop posting all together. 

I don't want this to topic to devour the thread, but my two cents on the matter:

- Everyone has the right to ignore someone's posts on the forum

- If one is going to ignore someone's posts, it's rather antagonistic to announce having ignored them where that person can see

- If one is going to ignore someone's posts, advertising how wonderful it is to have said person on ignore to other posters is kind of harsh

- Snowstorms is one of the most active posters from our region; making him feel excluded (by doing points 2 or 3) hurts those of us who value his contribution

- I think Snowstorms has been very negative lately and it can overbearing but we have all been there, including those of us who regularly head to the Banter thread to vent/cuss; perhaps it would be wise to put all negative posts in that thread, Snowstorms

- I think Snowstorms has a tendency to post before he thinks, such as his occasional use of weenie model-viewing goggles during big events; however, I don't think it's fair to misconstrue his zeal of active weather for trolling--we are all weather enthusiasts and getting caught up in the moment of excitement is only human

This is all coming from someone who gets very annoyed with Snowstorms over measurements which sometimes appear to be an attempt to "1-up" other measurements in the forum, only to sometimes "backtrack" with amounts; however, perhaps I'm just jealous of that regular deformation band which sets up right along his house--seriously, every.damn.event I see that thing on the radar just north of my house!

In short, Snowstorms, you are a part of this thread's family and please don't let a couple posters' antagonism make you leave the thread. We can all admittedly get hotheaded when things don't pan out, but that's the nature of the beast when our heart is so invested in a hobby we all love.

I enjoy every poster here and I think we can sometimes get derailed from reality when posting online; remember, there are people behind the screen name and we're all posting here because we love to.

If anything, we're giving our region a bad name with all this tomfoolery. Let's not go there. Check your egos at the door: mother nature will always be one cold b**ch.

Maybe I was slightly crass and my apologies for that.

Snowstorms, what I meant was that it seems like you get very riled up very easily when a weather event doesn't go our way. That's just the nature of the game with this hobby. Sometimes its good to step back from the models for a little while to prevent yourself from getting overly invested in something that you have no control over. Like anything, moderation is key.

Well kumbaya my lord. lol. No compunction on my part for anything I've said. I've admonished Snowstorms to think before he posts time and time again over the years. Each time my admonishments go unheeded. He's already been banned over at accuwx, so it's not like it's an isolated incident. Anyways, I've said enough. Last I hope to say on this topic.

I’ll be honest, perhaps I do let my anger get the better of me which skews my judgement and as a result, I end up posting out of context. I’ve been criticized for that, I know, and there should have been a drawing line somewhere, but that didn’t play out. And now I’m the centre of all hate and anguish in this forum because of my own actions. For those who want to ignore me, thats obviously your choice, but I think everyone has reason to voice there opinions on a matter. I went overboard so I’m sorry for that and I shall think twice or three times before I post. Instead of posting regularly, I will only post when a weather event occurs. If anyone has ever seen me post before, I only come around in the Winter as I’m not a severe weather hobbyist. So you can be happy that I’m only a seasonal poster. 

I appreciate your kind words WestCoaster and Harrisale. You guys have given me something to think more about and to change up something about myself here. I should have stopped all those times when snowstormcanuck did so. Thank you! :) 

The cold advertised by the models indicate a potential for some record breaking temperatures. Georgian Bay has finally iced over and Lake Huron should be completely covered within the next 7-10 days (maybe earlier). It will be interesting to see how the ice coverage increases on Lake Ontario. 

To lighten the mood lets see if anyone can guess the coldest high and low for the upcoming cold shot at YYZ/YXU/BUF (BUF because we have a couple Buffalo posters that occasionally post in this forum) 

YYZ. High -15.1C and a Low of -22.4C 

YXU High -16.7C and a low of -24.1C 

BUF High 5F and a Low of -5.2F 

I apologize if no one is that interested in cold extremes, overall I enjoy all aspects of weather including extreme cold and heat so I'm a bit intrigued by this upcoming cold shot. 

Archived