northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Southern Ontario Spring 2015 Discussion

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming we finish this winter in the 100-110cm range for snowfall, I'd definitely rather have the distribution of that snowfall more alike a winter like 2003-04 or a 2012-13; one very snowy month with a big (30cm+) snowstorm, rather than it spread out in dribs and drabs over the course of the whole winter.

Assuming we finish this winter in the 100-110cm range for snowfall, I'd definitely rather have the distribution of that snowfall more alike a winter like 2003-04 or a 2012-13; one very snowy month with a big (30cm+) snowstorm, rather than it spread out in dribs and drabs over the course of the whole winter.

Right now I have ~35" on the season with ~18 of that from the two big dogs. About half of the seasonal snowfall so far include event's I can't recall clearly(nickel and dimers).

That's a decent ratio for Toronto.

Right now I have ~35" on the season with ~18 of that from the two big dogs. About half of the seasonal snowfall so far include event's I can't recall clearly(nickel and dimers).

That's a decent ratio for Toronto.

You're correct. It actually hasn't been as drib or drabby as I stated. We've had two decent snowstorms, but we also had an incredible dead period between them. Would have turned my two 22cm storms into 15cm storms and redistributed the remainder into another ~15cm storm in between. Or, like I said earlier, maybe just dump everything into a single month.

So easy to complain. :lol:

You're correct. It actually hasn't been as drib or drabby as I stated. We've had two decent snowstorms, but we also had an incredible dead period between them. Would have turned my two 22cm storms into 15cm storms and redistributed the remainder into another ~15cm storm in between. Or, like I said earlier, maybe just dump everything into a single month.

So easy to complain. :lol:

I hear you. Thinking the midweek system has some promise(nice upstream ridge axis/ejection location). That confluence zone will want to pull north really quickly as any blocking is east based and weak. Tailer made NW trend with more s/w digging and WAA? Hopefully.

Ok, so here's the prize (YYZ):

1. Feb 1979: -10.8c

2. Feb 1978: -10.0c

Currently for Feb 2015: -9.3c

I think the gold is going to be just out of reach but if we get another impressive cold shot after the storm next week, could be close.

I think the all time record cold February is 1934 with a mean downtown of -12c, -13C at Agincourt and -20C at Ottawa. can you imagine a monthly mean of -20C? Wow.

I think the all time record cold February is 1934 with a mean downtown of -12c, -13C at Agincourt and -20C at Ottawa. can you imagine a monthly mean of -20C? Wow.

Yeah, I didn't have the endurance to cull through the 150 years of data for the downtown station. But you're right, the records I posted only go back to 1937. Regardless, YYZ is the media's darling so if 1979's record is broken, as far as the general public is concerned, Feb 2015 will be the coldest on record for Toronto.

Yeah, I didn't have the endurance to cull through the 150 years of data for the downtown station. But you're right, the records I posted only go back to 1937. Regardless, YYZ is the media's darling so if 1979's record is broken, as far as the general public is concerned, Feb 2015 will be the coldest on record for Toronto.

I don't know about you, but this is something that really drives me to distraction with regard to Canadian forecasters and the Canadian media. Down in the states, they always reference early 20th century and 19th century records - Wunderground.com includes them on their website. In Canada, the media always refers to the airports only despite the fact that Toronto has records going all the way back to 1840 and Ottawa has records going back to 1889. They did it 2007-2008, for example. Technically, that winter was not Ottawa's second snowiest on record after 1970-1971, nor was 1970-1971 Ottawa's snowiest on record. The media did not reference the 19th century records.

I don't know about you, but this is something that really drives me to distraction with regard to Canadian forecasters and the Canadian media. Down in the states, they always reference early 20th century and 19th century records - Wunderground.com includes them on their website. In Canada, the media always refers to the airports only despite the fact that Toronto has records going all the way back to 1840 and Ottawa has records going back to 1889. They did it 2007-2008, for example. Technically, that winter was not Ottawa's second snowiest on record after 1970-1971, nor was 1970-1971 Ottawa's snowiest on record. The media did not reference the 19th century records.

Media gets informed about this stuff via EC or their in house weather staff. Neither are particularly good regarding climatology in our market. I noticed the downtown Toronto station recently lost its WMO accreditation. Might cause the media to shy away from referencing it further.

Frictional convergence+very solid ∆t's performing nicely for a late winter evening. Enjoy.

Thanks, but there's nothing to it. Maybe 3-3.5cm down and falling at a rate of about 0.5cm/hr.

Overall, my first winter in London was somewhat underwhelming. With Huron getting iced up nicely, I think I'll have to put my hopes for a 45cm+ monster off until 2015-16.

If all goes to "plan", tomorrow's record low is about to fall at pearson with the lowest recorded temp back in 1979 at -23.2.

GFS/NAM/EC have -25c/-26c/-27c

Sunday morning will probably deserve a WC warning with brisk northerlies behind the clipper.

attachicon.gifgfs_windchill_toronto_14.png

As it stands now, I can't see us breaking the record tomorrow morning. Temperatures just aren't dropping fast enough. I'm at -17.3C and have only dropped two degrees Celsius in the past five hours.

Close but no cigar it looks like but the exact numbers are overrated IMO. Cold is cold and it's damn cold.

A NE/NNE flow would have done it as its always tough for temps to plummet under a NW flow if your east of the escarpment.

Yup. And if the same airmass on a NW flow swept over us a month ago when the lakes weren't as ice covered, it wouldn't have even been close.

Close but no cigar it looks like but the exact numbers are overrated IMO. Cold is cold and it's damn cold.

A NE/NNE flow would have done it as its always tough for temps to plummet under a NW flow if your east of the escarpment.

Yup. And if the same airmass on a NW flow swept over us a month ago when the lakes weren't as ice covered, it wouldn't have even been close.

I got down to what they forecasted, bottoming out at -23.5C this morning, essentially -24C.

Archived