amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Southern Ontario Spring 2015 Discussion

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of worried about the speed in which the dryslot is going to punch in here and strip away all our mid level moisture. Which is why I'm hesitant to go above 8cm.

Actually wouldn't surprise me if we stay mostly snow. NAM is the warmest model (I think) and is showing only a narrow warm layer at 750mb of about +1.5c. RGEM is all snow.

Ya, the dryslot is going to be be aggressive today. Looks like we have ~6-8hrs of snow followed by a couple hours of SNPL. Should thump pretty nicely for a while.

Feeling comfortable with 6-11cm.

Ya, the dryslot is going to be be aggressive today. Looks like we have ~6-8hrs of snow followed by a couple hours of SNPL. Should thump pretty nicely for a while.

Feeling comfortable with 6-11cm.

Looks like the evening rush hour is going to be a mess. Still, I'd prefer that than the morning rush hour given it means I don't have to get up early to dig out the car!

The streak ends at 38 days as the temperature finally goes above freezing at YYZ since Jan 24.  

Quite the decent amount of records in recent years. Here's a brief summary. Note this is for Winter only. 

06-07: 30 consecutive days below freezing from Jan 20th to Feb 18th. Ranks 5th overall. I think we saw the least snowiest December on record that Winter as well. I'm not sure. 

07-08: Second snowiest winter on record at YYZ and snowiest February on record at YYZ.  

08-09: Second or third snowiest December on record at YYZ if i'm not mistaken. 

09-10: Second least snowiest Winter on record. 

11-12: Least snowiest winter on record and the infamous "Morch".  

12-13: A top 5 snowiest February on record. 

13-14: Most consecutive snow cover days on record at YYZ. And a top 10 coldest on record I think. And the great ice storm too. 

14-15: Coldest February on record and 38 consecutive days below freezing. Ranks 3rd overall. 

Decided to put things into more perspective and realize the true scope of what we've experienced in the past few years. Interesting to say the least. 

The streak ends at 38 days as the temperature finally goes above freezing at YYZ since Jan 24.

Quite the decent amount of records in recent years. Here's a brief summary. Note this is for Winter only.

06-07: 30 consecutive days below freezing from Jan 20th to Feb 18th. Ranks 5th overall. I think we saw the least snowiest December on record that Winter as well. I'm not sure.

07-08: Second snowiest winter on record at YYZ and snowiest February on record at YYZ.

08-09: Second or third snowiest December on record at YYZ if i'm not mistaken.

09-10: Second least snowiest Winter on record.

11-12: Least snowiest winter on record and the infamous "Morch".

12-13: A top 5 snowiest February on record.

13-14: Most consecutive snow cover days on record at YYZ. And a top 10 coldest on record I think. And the great ice storm too.

14-15: Coldest February on record and 38 consecutive days below freezing. Ranks 3rd overall.

Decided to put things into more perspective and realize the true scope of what we've experienced in the past few years. Interesting to say the least.

Throw in the Toronto and Burlington floods, August 20 2009 tornado outbreak, August 19 2005 storm outbreak, Dec 2013 ice storm, August 2 2006 tornado outbreak, etc etc. We're breaking records left and right.

Even in KW we've been experiencing new records on things like most rain in a hr(which I think we broke twice in the last 5 years), high and low temps etc

This winter was essentially a redux of last season with less storms (drier) and a more impressive cold wave in February. And a December temperature reprieve. Given that I hate the cold and love snow, you can imagine how this winter has been for me  :P

Unfortunately, no big dogs really this winter. No storms over 25 cm, no prolonged events of +SN, no visibilities of less than 1/4 SM for any worthwhile period of time. Just endless cold. Any snow that seemed to fall this season was so fine. I miss dendrites. I'd take the risk of riding the rain/snow line to cash in on some deep cement snow any day.

I'm ready for a different winter. Something more variable. This current pattern (which has lasted since Fall 2013!!) doesn't bring much variability. If you're lucky to get an active jet, it dips back down south and you have to wait another 10 days for a shot at some action. 

If we didn't have the 10.5" of early season LES in November, Kitchener would be sitting at 40.6" right now. 

51.1" through March 3rd.

At least a chance you guys finish below normal as well. Even with a couple of decent storms, that 6 week dead period from mid December until the end of January was really hurt us.

At least a chance you guys finish below normal as well. Even with a couple of decent storms, that 6 week dead period from mid December until the end of January was really hurt us.

I wouldn't mind closing below average if it means we'll warm up soon. As someone who relies on public transportation who is currently living in the boonies of the Waterloo mass transit system, I've about had it with walking and waiting for buses in the cold. My lips are chapped beyond repair, and my knuckles have been split open from sandpaper-like dry skin since January.  :(  

I went through my severe wx bulletin emails since 2005 and made a list of days under wind chill/extreme cold warnings in Waterloo Region.

Waterloo Region Jan.-Mar. Days Under Wind Chill/Extreme Cold Warning since 2005:
2015: 20 days.
2014: 21 days.
2009: 2 days.
2008: 2 days.
2007: 7 days.

Going to be some serious battles between the lake shadow and SW down slopping this spring. After a brief taste of spring, I'm thinking the pattern gets wintry again past 3/20. Weve had snowy march/april's over the past few years and this year should be no exception IMO relative to climo.

Friday Aft on the euro

Going to be some serious battles between the lake shadow and SW down slopping this spring. After a brief taste of spring, I'm thinking the pattern gets wintry again past 3/20. Weve had snowy march/april's over the past few years and this year should be no exception IMO relative to climo.

Friday Aft on the euro

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-03-05 at 2.55.51 PM.png

Im used to it. This year will suck, but I live essentially right on top of the lake. So I have never seen spring temperatures at the same time as most of the GTA. Theres always those few days that will sting though. Ive driven from a friends house in central Mississauga and watched the temperature go from 14C and sunny to 5C and foggy by the time I reached my house. 

I think the cold lakes won't bring anything new to lakeshore communities but will create conditions where people further away from the lake also experience the colder and misty conditions. 

THE FOLLOWING IS A SUMMARY OF WEATHER EVENT INFORMATION RECEIVED BY

ENVIRONMENT CANADA AS OF 7.00 AM.

LOCATION                        NEW RECORD (CELSIUS)

WINDSOR AIRPORT            -22.0 PREVIOUS RECORD -17.2 IN 1960

RIDGETOWN                  -21.3 PREVIOUS RECORD -20.0 IN 1890

SARNIA                     -19.6 PREVIOUS RECORD -19.4 IN 1978

LONDON                     -26.0 PREVIOUS RECORD -20.7 IN 1978

DELHI                      -25.9 PREVIOUS RECORD -21.6 IN 2007

WATERLOO AIRPORT           -23.3 PREVIOUS RECORD -22.7 IN 2007

ELORA                      -25.1 PREVIOUS RECORD -23.3 IN 2007

GUELPH (INCOMPLETE RECORD) -26.1 TIED RECORD -26.1 IN 1948

WELLAND                    -24.4 PREVIOUS RECORD -22.2 IN 2014

OSHAWA                     -25.2 PREVIOUS RECORD -22.0 IN 2007

BARRIE                     -27.2 PREVIOUS RECORD -25.0 IN 2007

MUSKOKA                    -31.0 PREVIOUS RECORD -28.9 IN 1948

BEATRICE                   -30.7 PREVIOUS RECORD -29.4 IN 1928

BROCKVILLE                 -30.0 PREVIOUS RECORD -25.0 IN 2007

PETAWAWA                   -30.3 PREVIOUS RECORD -28.6 IN 2007

THE FOLLOWING MINIMUM TEMPERATURES WERE WITHIN 1 DEGREE OF THE

RECORD LOW FOR TODAY.

HAMILTON                  -21.3 CURRENT RECORD -21.7 IN 2007

PETERBOROUGH              -28.4 CURRENT RECORD -28.7 IN 2014

UNIVERSITY OF WATERLOO    -26.0 CURRENT WATERLOO REGION RECORD

IS -26.7 FROM KITCHENER IN 1948

Tuesday might get toasty but otherwise I think EC is too warm next week.

What else is new? It's odd that EC forecasts often don't even reflect what their own model says for the medium term. Their forecasts on the EC site often seem to have a warm bias in the winter.

By the way, the weather is starting to look intriguing next weekend, as per the GFS. It might be ice as opposed to snow though, unfortunately.

What else is new? It's odd that EC forecasts often don't even reflect what their own model says for the medium term. Their forecasts on the EC site often seem to have a warm bias in the winter.

By the way, the weather is starting to look intriguing next weekend, as per the GFS. It might be ice as opposed to snow though, unfortunately.

I'm opposed to snow. No longer interested. Ice might be interesting, but not too much...

I really hope EC's temperature forecast pans out. Bring on spring. Completely done with the cold.

I'm opposed to snow. No longer interested. Ice might be interesting, but not too much...

I really hope EC's temperature forecast pans out. Bring on spring. Completely done with the cold.

I don't think it will. They're not picking up on the coldfront that both the GFS and EURO backdoor us with. GGEM is warmer and that probably explains their forecast. They've already nudged down temps 1-2c from yesterday and they'll probably have to do more so.

I'd like one more storm just to get us up to normal snowfall for the season (we are waaaaay overdue for an early April slush storm). The last one that dropped more than a few cms has got to be at least 10 years ago...maybe 15.

I don't think it will. They're not picking up on the coldfront that both the GFS and EURO backdoor us with. GGEM is warmer and that probably explains their forecast. They've already nudged down temps 1-2c from yesterday and they'll probably have to do more so.

I'd like one more storm just to get us up to normal snowfall for the season (we are waaaaay overdue for an early April slush storm). The last one that dropped more than a few cms has got to be at least 10 years ago...maybe 15.

I don't think it will either. I don't see any model showing those types of temps. However, many times when I've done my own forecasting in Spring, I do find that temperature forecasts are really tough to do with the stronger sun when there is no real distinct airmass. I usually busted low. I find that SW wind can make dramatic jump in temperature, but with the lakes in the condition that they are... temperatures could be a struggle to forecast.

This has to be one of the sunniest Winters that I can remember in recent memory. 2011-12 was fairly dry as well.  

We need to develop a more active weather pattern in the coming weeks, otherwise we may run into some drought problems for the upcoming growing season. The last time YYZ recorded above average precipitation was September, lol. 

Archived