amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Southern Ontario Spring 2015 Discussion

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the GFS forecast for next week verifies, Pearson airport should finish up with its coldest February on record and also with one of its coldest months on record. I think Ottawa airport has a chance of finishing with its coldest February as well. As for coldest on record, I think 1934 will still be the king, particularly in Ottawa given it saw a mean of -20.4C in February 1934.

I'd lock in the model consensus right now. Looks like I solid 5 to maybe up to 10 cm event.

This does me. While I'd obviously prefer more, I'm more interested in the cold at the moment as it looks like, if everything works out next week, we could be making history. I read a statistic today which said today marks the 43rd day of 2015 in which Ottawa has had a temperature of -15C (5F). The last year which saw that many was way back in 1888.

This does me. While I'd obviously prefer more, I'm more interested in the cold at the moment as it looks like, if everything works out next week, we could be making history. I read a statistic today which said today marks the 43rd day of 2015 in which Ottawa has had a temperature of -15C (5F). The last year which saw that many was way back in 1888.

I'm honestly just not interested in the cold at all.

This is pure hell. Make it stop.

I pray for another Morch.

Monday morning's record of -19.4c is almost certainly going to be broken. The coldest 850's of the season look to dive south and time well with the diurnal cycle Monday morning. We may make a run at last weekend's -25.4c... by comparison forecasted H85 temps are between -26 and -28c on the EC/GFS. 850mb temps were near -23/-24c with last weekend's cold shot.

Monday morning's record of -19.4c is almost certainly going to be broken. The coldest 850's of the season look to dive south and time well with the diurnal cycle Monday morning. We may make a run at last weekend's -25.4c... by comparison forecasted H85 temps are between -26 and -28c on the EC/GFS. 850mb temps were near -23/-24c with last weekend's cold shot.

Pretty impressive stuff. I wonder how much of Lake Ontario will freeze this winter? Also, hopefully we don't have a midnight high on Monday to skew the data.

Last minute trends in the models are not good for us. Perhaps only 1-2" ( or 2-5cm) in total?

I think 2-5cm is a safe bet. I don't see the potential for anymore. The main energy will likely be south of the region. 

Latest RUC has 5-8cm. Latest RAP through 18 hours has around 2-5cm. Stacking up slowly with nickels and dimes, haha! 

Any idea where we are at so far?

We have a good chance now at breaking the all time record for the coldest month ever at YYZ. Pretty amazing to say the least. To see it being broken in February, even though January is the coldest month per climo, is mind-boggling.

Two back to back cold winters now. Should help out the situation with the receding waters in the Lakes.

We have a good chance now at breaking the all time record for the coldest month ever at YYZ. Pretty amazing to say the least. To see it being broken in February, even though January is the coldest month per climo, is mind-boggling.

Two back to back cold winters now. Should help out the situation with the receding waters in the Lakes.

I keep hearing that statement but I haven't seen any hard numbers that support this. How are we stacking up right now compared to 79,34 or other contenders?

I keep hearing that statement but I haven't seen any hard numbers that support this. How are we stacking up right now compared to 79,34 or other contenders?

I think the coldest February record *AT YYZ* (and that's important) is toast. -10.8c back in 79. We're at -12.3c right now and we might get a bit colder too.

The coldest month ever at YYZ (I believe) was January 1994, at -12.4c. It's definitely in play.

As for the all time downtown records, I have no clue. Just a ton of data that I've never had the attention span to parse through. You'd think EC would have this conveniently jotted down somewhere...but of course not.

I think the coldest February record *AT YYZ* (and that's important) is toast. -10.8c back in 79. We're at -12.3c right now and we might get a bit colder too.

The coldest month ever at YYZ (I believe) was January 1994, at -12.4c. It's definitely in play.

As for the all time downtown records, I have no clue. Just a ton of data that I've never had the attention span to parse through. You'd think EC would have this conveniently jotted down somewhere...but of course not.

Thanks for the info. Those are mean temp values I assume as opposed to anomalies?

As of the 21st, the mean temp for Pearson Airport (YYZ) stands at -12.2 C. For downtown Toronto, it's -10.8 C.

Right now, this is the 4th coldest February on record for downtown Toronto. Records go back to 1840.

1) 1875: -12.6 C

2) 1934: -12.1 C

3) 1885: -11.9 C

4) 2015: -10.8 C (as of Feb 21st)

5) 1904: -10.4 C

As of the 21st, the mean temp for Pearson Airport (YYZ) stands at -12.2 C. For downtown Toronto, it's -10.8 C.

Right now, this is the 4th coldest February on record for downtown Toronto. Records go back to 1840.

1) 1875: -12.6 C

2) 1934: -12.1 C

3) 1885: -11.9 C

4) 2015: -10.8 C (as of Feb 21st)

5) 1904: -10.4 C

The 21st hasn't updated yet at YYZ, but I'd assume -12.2C would be the number. Its -12.3C as of Friday. Using Friday's numbers, it would be unofficially the coldest month ever at YYZ.  

For downtown to beat 1885, we would need it to reach a minimum of -23C tonight and stay below -15C (low temps) for most of the week. Is that number in 1875 the coldest February temperature or in general, the coldest ever? 

The 21st hasn't updated yet at YYZ, but I'd assume -12.2C would be the number. Its -12.3C as of Friday. Using Friday's numbers, it would be unofficially the coldest month ever at YYZ.

For downtown to beat 1885, we would need it to reach a minimum of -23C tonight and stay below -15C (low temps) for most of the week. Is that number in 1875 the coldest February temperature or in general, the coldest ever?

I used this link to fill in the missing data for the downtown station (18th, 19th and 21st):

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/historical-weather/caon0696

The 1875 figure is for the coldest February and overall in general.

Archived