amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Southern Ontario Spring 2015 Discussion

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As of the 21st, the mean temp for Pearson Airport (YYZ) stands at -12.2 C. For downtown Toronto, it's -10.8 C.

Right now, this is the 4th coldest February on record for downtown Toronto. Records go back to 1840.

1) 1875: -12.6 C

2) 1934: -12.1 C

3) 1885: -11.9 C

4) 2015: -10.8 C (as of Feb 21st)

5) 1904: -10.4 C

Great work T4! Thank you. Looks like the 1875 record is safe, although, if there was any way to standardized the data to take into account uhi effect, might be a different story.

Great work T4! Thank you. Looks like the 1875 record is safe, although, if there was any way to standardized the data to take into account uhi effect, might be a different story.

I think the general rule for UHI is that daytime temperatures are not influenced, but night time lows are about 2.0-2.5 degrees celsius warmer.

I'd be curious to see data for areas like midtown where UHI effect is much less.

Does this mean that we likely won't beat February 1934 in downtown Toronto?

Just to add my two cents, there was a former weather station called Toronto Agincourt which recorded a mean of -13.0C in February 1934. At that time, the area would have been almost completely rural, meaning it will be interesting to compare that number with that of YYZ and Buttonville at month's end.

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html?timeframe=2&Prov=ON&StationID=5052&dlyRange=1895-11-01|1968-01-31&Year=1934&Month=2&Day=01

Does this mean that we likely won't beat February 1934 in downtown Toronto?

Just to add my two cents, there was a former weather station called Toronto Agincourt which recorded a mean of -13.0C in February 1934. At that time, the area would have been almost completely rural, meaning it will be interesting to compare that number with that of YYZ and Buttonville at month's end.

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html?timeframe=2&Prov=ON&StationID=5052&dlyRange=1895-11-01|1968-01-31&Year=1934&Month=2&Day=01

Using EC's forecasted temps for the week would leave downtown Toronto with a mean temp of -11.4c on the month.

You can tell that spring is right around the corner. Outside today in the sun with little wind didn't feel that bad. This will most likely be the last of the extreme cold. March in Southern Ontario is a challenging month for winter enthusiasts and we are nearing the end of this winter. I wouldn't mind another snowstorm but time is certainly running out fast. 

You can tell that spring is right around the corner. Outside today in the sun with little wind didn't feel that bad. This will most likely be the last of the extreme cold. March in Southern Ontario is a challenging month for winter enthusiasts and we are nearing the end of this winter. I wouldn't mind another snowstorm but time is certainly running out fast. 

So ready for thunderstorm season. Post 2011 has been gruesome, save for a couple significant events which were more local than what we can really get. I'm starved for a storm. Hope we can get back to those seasons where we can get 1-2 severe tstorm outbreaks a week, and move away from the more focused and isolated nature of 2012-2014. This dry spell is like what we went through in 2001-2003, 2007, and 2010.

So ready for thunderstorm season. Post 2011 has been gruesome, save for a couple significant events which were more local than what we can really get. I'm starved for a storm. Hope we can get back to those seasons where we can get 1-2 severe tstorm outbreaks a week, and move away from the more focused and isolated nature of 2012-2014. This dry spell is like what we went through in 2001-2003, 2007, and 2010.

Since I'm not just a winter weather enthusiast I am excited for the spring season to start. Hopefully this summer we see some severe storms and long prolonged heat waves. I missed that last summer. I enjoy the days where its 33C and lows of 24C and at the end of the heat wave is a long line of severe thunderstorms. 

Since I'm not just a winter weather enthusiast I am excited for the spring season to start. Hopefully this summer we see some severe storms and long prolonged heat waves. I missed that last summer. I enjoy the days where its 33C and lows of 24C and at the end of the heat wave is a long line of severe thunderstorms. 

The whole summer felt like mid September I swear there was even a crisp wind chill June-August

The whole summer felt like mid September I swear there was even a crisp wind chill June-August

I'm not a big fan of summer severe weather. I have vague memories of the 1985 Barrie tornado, despite being only 5 at the time.

My ideal summer temperature is about 25C/77F. Can do without temperatures in the 90s.

I loved it! My issue was that it was way too short. Even the May long weekend was freezing cold. I couldn't believe it.

2010 was a great summer. 2011 and 2012 way too hot. 2013 started off hot and then turned frigid around mid July.

I don't remember a lot of storms. Last summer there was that Tuesday in June with a big line of storms. I had never seen the sky so dark.

I recall end of August 2011 having an evening of non-stop lightning. I think Tornado watches were even out. I also remember a brutal cell move through midtown in early August 2011. That was probably the coolest storm I've witnessed. 

All I really remember of 2012 was just endless hot. Dry. Hot.

I recall the July 2013 flooding. Awful.

Even this past summer there were a couple events when it just poured and the radar was essentially stationary.

A fairly disappointing first winter here in London (with Huron safely iced over I think I can say this with some authority). Only 1 LES event of any significance and even than one we couldn't net over a foot by my estimation.

That being said, it is amazing how clipper snow magically regenerates itself over the city. So many times this winter I witnessed steady gentle -SN just sit over the city for hours.

A fairly disappointing first winter here in London (with Huron safely iced over I think I can say this with some authority). Only 1 LES event of any significance and even than one we couldn't net over a foot by my estimation.

That being said, it is amazing how clipper snow magically regenerates itself over the city. So many times this winter I witnessed steady gentle -SN just sit over the city for hours.

Hopefully winter 15-16 will dazzle you with London's snowy awesomeness

CBC just aired a report on how global warming and, more specifically, the warming arctic is to blame for this frigid February. Of course they didn't interview anyone with an alternate explanation. I suppose arctic warming also caused the frigid Februaries of 1934, 1875, 1885 and 1904 in Ontario, not to mention the three severe winters in a row in the late 1970s.Of course those years were not even mentioned in the report.  Also, weren't winters always cold and frigid back in the day? ^_^   The CBC is simply terrible when it comes to balanced reporting - as biased left wing as Fox News is right wing. I mean, seriously, at least include someone in the report who offers an alternate explanation. To me, when you do a news report you should interview people with differing views and explanations, then let the viewer decide. These people are grasping at straws. A decade ago, David Suzuki was saying backyard ice rinks might soon become extinct in southern Ontario due to rapidly warming winters - an entire cultural phenomenon might die he said. Now we've had two very cold winters in a row and the longest continuous stretch of skating on Ottawa's Rideau Canal...and it's supposedly caused by the same climate change that was originally supposed to make these cold winters less common, if not extinct as Ontario's climate became more like that of southern Ohio.

Sorry for the off topic post.

CBC just aired a report on how global warming and, more specifically, the warming arctic is to blame for this frigid February. Of course they didn't interview anyone with an alternate explanation. I suppose arctic warming also caused the frigid Februaries of 1934, 1875, 1885 and 1904 in Ontario, not to mention the three severe winters in a row in the late 1970s.Of course those years were not even mentioned in the report.  Also, weren't winters always cold and frigid back in the day? ^_^   The CBC is simply terrible when it comes to balanced reporting - as biased left wing as Fox News is right wing. I mean, seriously, at least include someone in the report who offers an alternate explanation. To me, when you do a news report you should interview people with differing views and explanations, then let the viewer decide. These people are grasping at straws. A decade ago, David Suzuki was saying backyard ice rinks might soon become extinct in southern Ontario due to rapidly warming winters - an entire cultural phenomenon might die he said. Now we've had two very cold winters in a row and the longest continuous stretch of skating on Ottawa's Rideau Canal...and it's supposedly caused by the same climate change that was originally supposed to make these cold winters less common, if not extinct as Ontario's climate became more like that of southern Ohio.

Sorry for the off topic post.

Climate change is a global issue not just an issue involving Ottawa, you have to look at a broader scope of things.

Climate change is a global issue not just an issue involving Ottawa, you have to look at a broader scope of things.

Which kinda makes it pointless to make local or even regional predictions years in advance, especially when it's something like ____ will resemble the climate of ____ by [insert year].

Which kinda makes it pointless to make local or even regional predictions years in advance, especially when it's something like ____ will resemble the climate of ____ by [insert year].

Exactly, that's why you have to look on a global scope with respect to climate change.

Climate change/global warming has been a big part of our culture for like 2 decades now. Every time it weathers it's followed by the band wagon.

It's hot? Global warming!

It rained? Climate change cos I've never seen a rain like this before!

This is basically where I'm at. I was a skeptic (although not a denier) for the longest time but the vast number of experts who are supportive of theory of AGW, and the paucity of legitimate voices on the other side has made me change my tune. GW is almost certainly happening, and anthropogenic sources are at least a substantial contributing factor to this.

What I certainly don't subscribe to is speciously linking every sensible weather event to AGW. It's makes supporters of AGW, who like to think they have a monopoly on rationality, seem reactionary.

Archived