• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Software Updater/Malware/Bug

Quincy

I was just replying to a thread and was redirected to a series of pop-ups and an attempted download of what seems to be suspicious third party software. I'm not sure if I accidentally clicked something, but this was startling at the very least, considering it either happened on its own or was the result of one mistaken click:
post-533-0-31162700-1422774038_thumb.png

https://softwareupdaterlp.com/campaign.php?ID=trillmstrcpi2⊂=trillmstrcpi2&S2=wMCGLO62O836QUQHGUDQ22EU

I was just replying to a thread and was redirected to a series of pop-ups and an attempted download of what seems to be suspicious third party software. I'm not sure if I accidentally clicked something, but this was startling at the very least, considering it either happened on its own or was the result of one mistaken click:

attachicon.gifnot_good.png

https://softwareupdaterlp.com/campaign.php?ID=trillmstrcpi2⊂=trillmstrcpi2&S2=wMCGLO62O836QUQHGUDQ22EU

I had something similar, but a different type of pop-up with instantweathermaps.com, in fact, the other day I put a post on that in the marketplace forum.

This just happened again, but I was able to isolate it. I clicked on 2-1-15 to 2-2-15 Snow and Mix to Snow Storm and was automatically redirected to this:
post-533-0-43470000-1422828607_thumb.png

I did a Google Search and it suggested that I might already have malware on my computer. However, when I went to programs recently installed (and all of them in general), I wasn't able to find anything. I'll post if it happens again, but it's only happened twice, both times while I was on these forums.

This just happened again, but I was able to isolate it. I clicked on 2-1-15 to 2-2-15 Snow and Mix to Snow Storm and was automatically redirected to this:

attachicon.gifnot_again.png

I did a Google Search and it suggested that I might already have malware on my computer. However, when I went to programs recently installed (and all of them in general), I wasn't able to find anything. I'll post if it happens again, but it's only happened twice, both times while I was on these forums.

You don't have malware, that is the americanwx forum trying to install it.  I just got it too on my first visit to the site (not signed in) on the work PC.   What's going to happen is all of us will end up infected paying members and not.  Pretty disgraceful IMO the admins here are allowing this to happen with so many warnings. 

I've gotten it twice this morning on two different computers (home & work)  It's definitely nothing on either of my machines--it's coming from this site. 

I go right to the control panel and close everything out.  Never click their windows!

Definitely a problem that should be looked into.

I'm working on it, trust me... I'm trying to nail it down.

Has anyone received this malware popup while logged in? Were ads being displayed at the time. Trying to filter out some things.  

I'm not as certain this is ad related as I have all ads filtered and scanned with DFP.  It would disallow the code from being shown and send me an email alert of any malware ads.  I'm thinking this could be a compromise with the local coding if it's coming from here - we are running a scan now.

You don't have malware, that is the americanwx forum trying to install it. 

No, he probably does have malware, and it might not have anything to do with this board.

The very first google result detailing SoftwareUpdaterlp.com says:  "This malicious browser extension is typically added when you install another free software that had bundled into their installation this adware program.  When this malicious extension is installed, when you will browse the Internet, an ad from SoftwareUpdaterlp.com will randomly pop-up."

In that case, he should run Malwarebytes.

I haven't looked in to that opendownloadmanager one yet.

most likely this has happened because someone's ad got compromised. it happens a lot. if you see it close out the browser and the clear the cache. if you click on it then run Malwarebytes.

I had it happen on a news site a couple of times. Simple thing is not to trust anyone on the net.

most likely this has happened because someone's ad got compromised. it happens a lot. if you see it close out the browser and the clear the cache. if you click on it then run Malwarebytes.

I had it happen on a news site a couple of times. Simple thing is not to trust anyone on the net.

I don't trust this advice?

I don't trust this advice?

You don't have to trust it. quite simply you don't have to take my word for it. I have been doing IT security for a long time. I block ads when I can and I don't ever click on a popup. Simply put I don't trust anyone or any site on the net.

Without access to his computer, I cannot tell you how he got infected. I can tell you the most likely path. It was probably an ad from a website. It could have come from here. No system is perfect.

You don't have to trust it. quite simply you don't have to take my word for it. I have been doing IT security for a long time. I block ads when I can and I don't ever click on a popup. Simply put I don't trust anyone or any site on the net.

Without access to his computer, I cannot tell you how he got infected. I can tell you the most likely path. It was probably an ad from a website. It could have come from here. No system is perfect.

Well then, you might want to get up from that IT chair and relate to real people once and a while.  It was a joke.  Your post was a paradox.

First you gave us advice over the internet. Then, in the very next sentence, you told us not to trust anyone on the net.  See it now?

Well then, you might want to get up from that IT chair and relate to real people once and a while.  It was a joke.  Your post was a paradox.

First you gave us advice over the internet. Then, in the very next sentence, you told us not to trust anyone on the net.  See it now?

I do now, Do you do parties?

Edit:

I wasn't aware this was a banter thread.

No, he probably does have malware, and it might not have anything to do with this board.

The very first google result detailing SoftwareUpdaterlp.com says: "This malicious browser extension is typically added when you install another free software that had bundled into their installation this adware program. When this malicious extension is installed, when you will browse the Internet, an ad from SoftwareUpdaterlp.com will randomly pop-up."

In that case, he should run Malwarebytes.

I haven't looked in to that opendownloadmanager one yet.

It's ads on this site trying to install malware. On a completely fresh install yesterday (brand new machine/ssd) it popped up on the first visit. It's coming from their ads and its probably related to remarketing/what ads are being shown to which users.

Malware bytes premium was totally clean. It also doesn't stop the attack nor does Norton security even when they are correctly configured together.

Aside of one member reporting this as logged in - the only time I've ever seen this is when I'm not logged in, AKA, when ads are displaying.

In the dozens of times malware has fired over the last few months 100% of those instances occurred when ads were displaying.  Whatever you are scanning them with some are sneaking through.

Aside of one member reporting this as logged in - the only time I've ever seen this is when I'm not logged in, AKA, when ads are displaying.

In the dozens of times malware has fired over the last few months 100% of those instances occurred when ads were displaying.  Whatever you are scanning them with some are sneaking through.

It's definitely hit me while logged in. 

It is this site--no question about it as I get this pop-up here and only here.

Not so far today though!

Archived