Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2015 Global Temperatures

nflwxman

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously too early to say for sure, but it would not be surprising if October ends up having the highest global temperature anomaly on record.

cdas_v2_hemisphere_2015.png

That's a protected image, weatherbell reports forbidden 403 when I click it and it's a broken image in here.

Obviously too early to say for sure, but it would not be surprising if October ends up having the highest global temperature anomaly on record.

cdas_v2_hemisphere_2015.png

so now this dataset is reliable that it shows lots of warming? I thought this was a bad data set not to be used. It has been close to the UAH V6 so I wouldn't be surprised if this continues to see global sat temps spike to .5C or even more in Oct.... El Nino warming I think peaked at .8C in the satellite data april 1998. Wonder how high this one will go and if a strong La nina will kick in soon after like in 1999. 

so now this dataset is reliable that it shows lots of warming? I thought this was a bad data set not to be used. It has been close to the UAH V6 so I wouldn't be surprised if this continues to see global sat temps spike to .5C or even more in Oct.... El Nino warming I think peaked at .8C in the satellite data april 1998. Wonder how high this one will go and if a strong La nina will kick in soon after like in 1999.

We are using it for relative short term temperatures. Of course it's not reliable for trends in the long term; As the creators explicitly mention.

The major temperature indices are released 7 or more days after the end of the prior month, due to quality control. How is it that UAH v6.0 is released so quickly. Is there much less quality control when it comes to UAH?

Both satellite datasets have always been released pretty quickly...mostly because they don't have to wait for the GHCN QC process. The surface temp datasets rely on GHCN to QC the surface data, which takes a lot longer than the satellite data.

Hadcrut does even more QC than GHCN, so their data comes out almost a month later...the latest of the sfc datasets. NCDC and GISS rely almost exclusively on GHCN for land data...Hadcrut uses some GHCN data and then additional data that is not included in GHCN that they QC themselves.

Both satellite datasets have always been released pretty quickly...mostly because they don't have to wait for the GHCN QC process. The surface temp datasets rely on GHCN to QC the surface data, which takes a lot longer than the satellite data.

Hadcrut does even more QC than GHCN, so their data comes out almost a month later...the latest of the sfc datasets. NCDC and GISS rely almost exclusively on GHCN for land data...Hadcrut uses some GHCN data and then additional data that is not included in GHCN that they QC themselves.

Thanks for this information. It is helpful in understanding the timing of the release of the temperature data. I was surprised to see September data so quickly.

Cfs through 8 days is almost at 0.60C for October.

That's roughly a 1.25C giss temp equivalent.

The daily is currently stood

Around 0.63C+.

October is likely going to be over 1.0C on ncdc and giss.

Hadley likely in The 0.90C+ range.

Global ssts are insane.

The npac is OFF the ****ing charts.

The "hiatus" is over.

9g2lkte.jpg

And ohc buildup has rapidly taken off.

Even with a modest nina there won't be a 1999-2001 like drop from this.

We will be lucky to go below 2014 levels again.

Over the next 2 years expect another step jump in 30-90N yearly temps.

RATPAC Temperature Data:

January-September 2015: +1.00°C. The second warmest year on record on that data set was 2014 with an anomaly of +0.74°C.

In terms of lower troposphere temperature anomalies excluding the surface (500 mb, 700 mb, 850 mb), the January-September 2015 figure has risen further to +0.67°C. The record warm anomaly is +0.72°C, which was set in 2010. This warmth suggests that even as the current El Niño has not yet peaked, its warmth is showing up in the lower troposphere.

Finally, if one includes the surface temperatures for a broader look at the lower troposphere, the YTD anomaly for 2015 is +0.75°C vs. the record warm annual figure of +0.68°C from 2010.

GISS Sept - 0.81 same as August and 0.09 cooler than last year.

2014    74   51   78   79   86   66   58   82   90   86   69   79     75  74     64   81   69   81  20142015    82   88   90   74   79   77   73   81   81 **** **** ****   **** ***     83   81   77 ****  2015Year   Jan  Feb  Mar  Apr  May  Jun  Jul  Aug  Sep  Oct  Nov  Dec    J-D D-N    DJF  MAM  JJA  SON  Year

Big discrepancy growing between the major surface datasets this year.  HadCRUT/NCDC/JMA all seem to be a little more sensitive to ENSO probably due to missing data at the poles.

Looks like Antarctica is going to swing from cool in September to warm in October - so may see a change in the short-term relative trends between the surface temperature data series.

Uah 6.0 came in with a .25C cooler than August.

Maybe aliens are siphoning heat off the ocean's

The super Nino will only get much stronger and wider over ENSO 1-3.

UAH 5.6:

September: +0.37°C (August: +0.32°C). So far, v5.6 has had a mean anomaly of +0.30°C this year. The cooler v6.0 has had a mean anomaly of +0.23°C.

Archived