joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Texas/New Mexico/Louisiana/Mexico Obs And Discussion Thread Part 6

Portastorm

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Odessa schools closed out west, so it looks like perhaps they got more snow than expected....at least it looks like they upgraded amounts overnight. That may mean this is tracking more south. Seems to be on radar to my very untrained eyes. But, would rather see it further south slightly still....and the area of snow is still quite narrow.

The last system tracked just south of what was expected and the column cooled slower than modeled.  You probably wouldn't even care about that with an all rain system but it can be huge with snow.  A track that gets this more south and east is good for DFW today. 

Looks like Denton County may do well. I'm close, but maybe just slightly too far south in Keller/N Ft. Worth. Nothing outside the windows that's heavy enough to be visible at least. The MyRadar app seems quite confused, as it shows very heavy snow over me. RadarScope says uh, no. But, there is something coming in from Parker County.

Coming down pretty good now in North Fort Worth. Like a switch turned on....didn't seem to need much time to moisten up. Went from nothing to light to now moderate snow very quickly. Can anybody explain why the MyRadar app seems to be so wrong with it's display? It was erroneously showing a huge area of HEAVY snow over me about 20-30 minutes ago when it was dry in reality and in RadarScope.

Coming down pretty good now in North Fort Worth. Like a switch turned on....didn't seem to need much time to moisten up. Went from nothing to light to now moderate snow very quickly. Can anybody explain why the MyRadar app seems to be so wrong with it's display? It was erroneously showing a huge area of snow over me about 20-30 minutes ago when it was dry in reality and in RadarScope.

Virga.... Basically dry air in the low levels was evaporating your snow before it reached the ground. 

Yeah it's still snowing hard now. Sticking and coating ground. I expected virga with light snow. Just shocked to look at one radar app and it had heavy returns over me, and the other had literally nothing...not even light returns. I like that the radar movement hasn't really budged north much, which means we may be under some heavier bands for a decent while.

Archived