• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Texas/New Mexico/Louisiana/Mexico Obs And Discussion Thread Part 6

Portastorm

Just got word from the district I teach at, Birdville in the North Fort Worth area....not releasing early. Wonder if that will change in two hours. Need some stronger bands to develop to the west again though probably.

Edit: wife says roads bad in Fort Worth now.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations North Texas snow lovers! Been cold so immediate sticking should be no surprise. Too bad schools are releasing during the worst of the storm. Winter Storm Warning would have prevented that. With 2 inches likely, possibly followed by ice in the morning, look for a Warning as the 12Z NAM bumps qpf. This first wave will be all snow with just right northeast winds. It is dry enough to lock in the all-snow column but not super dry until northeast Texas. We just had an over achiever in East Tenn. Here's hoping for an all snow over achiever in North Texas too. Enjoy!

Congratulations North Texas snow lovers! Been cold so immediate sticking should be no surprise. Too bad schools are releasing during the worst of the storm. Winter Storm Warning would have prevented that. With 2 inches likely, possibly followed by ice in the morning, look for a Warning as the 12Z NAM bumps qpf. This first wave will be all snow with just right northeast winds. It is dry enough to lock in the all-snow column but not super dry until northeast Texas. We just had an over achiever in East Tenn. Here's hoping for an all snow over achiever in North Texas too. Enjoy!

Yea, models started trending in our favor Wednesday night and just kept slowly shifting things.

Winter Storm Warning not issued here cause amounts are under the criteria which is 4 inches of snow or 1/4 inch of ice.

Wife says getting now very slick in Fort Worth. Snowing more heavily here in North Fort Worth, heavier than the radar returns would make it appear. And some of those traffic cams look quite bad, especially Granbury. Radar returns are lessening to the west though....this may not last into the afternoon much. Based on that, I think forecasts of 2 inches to maybe 3 on the high end will verify. Just not enough heavier stuff to the west to keep this going for much longer in the accumulating amounts anyway.

Because criteria requires 4 inches or more of snow or 1/4 inch or more of ice/sleet. No one is predicting that across the Metroplex.

NWS has introduced that whole "societal impact" thing, it was apparent in discussion for the last system.  You set yourself up for that kind of questioning when you deviate from straight meteorological criteria.  

NWS has introduced that whole "societal impact" thing, it was apparent in discussion for the last system.  You set yourself up for that kind of questioning when you deviate from straight meteorological criteria.  

I realize that but I think they are still using criteria, and technically, it hasn't been met. This is also the problem with continuously changing up willy nilly. They need to be consistent. It goes along with this whole upgrade/downgrade from Watch to Advisory discussion we had earlier. It just introduces too much confusion to the public.

I realize that but I think they are still using criteria, and technically, it hasn't been met. This is also the problem with continuously changing up willy nilly. They need to be consistent. It goes along with this whole upgrade/downgrade from Watch to Advisory discussion we had earlier. It just introduces too much confusion to the public.

I think this is the biggest thing. 

Dry air appears to be fighting back over here, snow really let up and clouds thinned enough to really brighten things.  This snow is so delicate that even with the temp at 25 things started melting as soon as clouds thinned and some sun started coming through. 

ETA: Rates picking back up and flakes are looking much better, bigger and better geometry  

Keller now releasing early, but not my district. Reports are Keller is very icy with people sliding even in regular streets, and this district is basically the same location. Mad teacher here. The teenagers aren't able to focus seeing all the snow outside, and heck, while the activity they are doing today doesn't really need me except to help when they ask, I am obviously entirely too focused on here today myself.

Archived