joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Texas/New Mexico/Louisiana/Mexico Obs And Discussion Thread Part 6

Portastorm

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Well, the Stat Method clearly missed the timing with this precipitation type forecast. It appears temperatures aloft were just a degree or two too warm to allow the snowflakes to make it to the ground when they were supposed to (i.e., 4 AM) . Radar indicates heavy snow is falling about 8,000 feet above the Metroplex, but a thin layer of 35 °F air at this level is causing the snow to melt and fall to the ground as rain and even pockets of sleet. The Stat Method was forecasting this layer to be 33 °F not 35 °F. 33 °F air would have allowed the large snowflakes currently falling at 8,000 feet to survive their trip all the way to the ground. 35 °F air does not. We should still be able to transition over to snow before the precipitation ends as the air at 8,000 feet continues to chill, but since this transition was supposed to begin at 4 AM, snowfall totals will be less than what the SM was going for yesterday. I guess the good news is, this has been a very good rain for the area, and before it ends later this morning, we will get to see some large snowflakes." - Meteorologist Steve McCauley

Tl;dr this is more than likely a bust and 2 degrees aloft made all the difference. What a fitting end to a disappointing winter

Well, this is a huge bust. No snow in Keller as I left for work. Roads not even slick in spots. Now, I will say it is actually snowing where I teach a few miles to the south. Really coming down good here, so at least I have seen snow falling this winter. It's just flying really good with decently low visibility.The WUnderMap seems pretty accurate, as it shows rain everywhere but for this little sliver area in North Fort Worth. The bad thing is....it is showing more and more rain with each frame.

Probably Collin County northeast will get it. But for everybody else.....not so sure. And that precip edge keeps moving east.

Really disappointing since it really was looking good at midnight last night. Thank goodness we had the sleet the other day since the pattern looks to shift to warmer soon.

Maybe all this moisture is a good omen for a wetter spring with severe weather? The little creek by the school is fuller than I have seen it since I moved to Fort Worth last summer.

IF it was just slightly cooler up there, this would have been a really, really good snow, and that's from someone who grew up with foot snowfalls every couple years.

Precip now drying up on radar over me now, not just moving east. iWeathernet expects more development. Well, it seems to be happening to the northwest. Maybe enough to give an inch if lucky. Nevermind....not that expansion is breaking up.

Archived