joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Texas/New Mexico/Louisiana/Mexico Obs And Discussion Thread Part 6

Portastorm

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hopefully I'm not impeding on this topic's discussion any. but not only seeing what's going on in DFW, but the storm reports of snow and a snow/sleet mix in Waco; and in the 1.5 tilt off of GFK as well as the 0.5 tilt off of FWS, there are hints that something wintery may try to fall in CLL. So, what are the prospects for just a trace of wintery precip (snow or sleet) in say Austin, College Station? too dry at the low levels, or could it eek out?

hopefully I'm not impeding on this topic's discussion any. but not only seeing what's going on in DFW, but the storm reports of snow and a snow/sleet mix in Waco; and in the 1.5 tilt off of GFK as well as the 0.5 tilt off of FWS, there are hints that something wintery may try to fall in CLL. So, what are the prospects for just a trace of wintery precip (snow or sleet) in say Austin, College Station? too dry at the low levels, or could it eek out?

We are always pulling for our winter weather starved brothers and sisters down south!

There was a report of very light flurries in Boerne around noon which N of San Antonio in the Hill Country. Other than that, no reports of any frozen precip across Central or SE Texas.

Fort Worth ISD just announced no early dismissal except 2 for middle schools for some reason. They are nuts.

As much as it sounds crazy, they are probably trying to stagger the releases to limit the mad rush to the schools.  I live in Atlanta and saw first hand what happens when every school district releases students at the same time.  Just a thought.

Good point, Buck. It's already bad enough.

I feel for you guys.  It sounds like a very similar situation as ours last year.  Starts snowing AFTER everyone is already at work then everyone panics and tries to leave.  I ended up having to abandon my car and walk 4 miles to my house.  Our roads were pretty much all untreated tho so hopefully y'all's roads stay good enough to where at least they stay open.  We had a jam for 48 hours.  I hope nothing like that happens to you guys.  You would think that the officials of DFW would have learned from the ATL debacle, but I guess not?  How many snow jams have to happen before the major southern cities learn their lesson haha?  Kids should have definitely been called off school today.

I feel for you guys. It sounds like a very similar situation as ours last year. Starts snowing AFTER everyone is already at work then everyone panics and tries to leave. I ended up having to abandon my car and walk 4 miles to my house. Our roads were pretty much all untreated tho so hopefully y'all's roads stay good enough to where at least they stay open. We had a jam for 48 hours. I hope nothing like that happens to you guys. You would think that the officials of DFW would have learned from the ATL debacle, but I guess not? How many snow jams have to happen before the major southern cities learn their lesson haha? Kids should have definitely been called off school today.

Yeah, I think it's the whole dfw doesn't normally get snow at 25, usually it's more at 30-32, still agree the road departments need to be better prepared for this

Yeah, I think it's the whole dfw doesn't normally get snow at 25, usually it's more at 30-32, still agree the road departments need to be better prepared for this

I agree, it's rare here in ATL too.  IMO you have two options: pony up the dough and treat the roads well enough to where travel will not be an issue or be on the safe side and close everything down when there is a chance of something like this.  I get it, most of the time when a southern city gambles against snow falling they usually win and nothing happens.  But when they lose that bet...oh boy that's when you really get some pissed off citizens.  ATL is now super conservative after our incident.  In fact schools have closed two days this year when there was no snow on the ground lol.  DFW may go the same direction after today.  It's a tough call no doubt.

Fort Worth ISD just announced no early dismissal except 2 for middle schools for some reason. They are nuts.

It is probably based on bus availability.  A bunch of their buses may be sitting in traffic somewhere... and/or may be driven by people who are sitting in traffic somewhere and unable to get to wherever the buses are stored.   

I was in Alabama last year for that event and the similarities are so eerie...

and it goes back to the fact it's 25 and snowing instead of 32 snowing. Kind of ridiculous I've seen back to back winters with an event like this.

My view from Allen:

10854927_10153090787490930_5662763567001

11021289_10153090789720930_5489523596803

That's silly, just like it never gets cold in Texas. Some of our biggest snowfalls occur at the 30-32 degree range, but we have had good snowfalls at much colder temps than 25°F. I've seen it snowing a couple of inches here with temps in the single digits (that is truly rare, but it has happened).

Well, got home...definitely more snow in Keller than a few miles south closer to 820 at work.

I would say 2.25 inches here due to a couple measures at 3 and most around 2. Still snowing lightly. Nice to end up on the higher end of most forecasts. 

Edit 2:13: And snowing moderately again for the final band likely. Maybe add .25 to .5 of an inch at this pace since some heavier stuff is moving in before it ends.

It's weird....I have sen this a lot. The last gasp of snowfall is often quite heavy it seems (maybe that's my imagination).

Archived