• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 9-10 Storm Observation Thread

dryslot

4.8" of 21:1 moist fluff, a total (and very pretty) surprise.  Radar loop suggests it was really dumping at 4-6 AM, and the uneven surface points to giant parachutes, at least toward the end.  It was a narrow band extending N-S and moving slowly SSW-ward.  Mt. Vernon cocorahs reported 6.0" on 0.36" LE with a bit of sleet, and other than that and mine there were no obs higher than 1.5" in Maine when I looked at 7:30.  (Obviously, Jeff's hadn't shown up yet.)

Nice burst for some here, Looks like you did well, Mtns and near you was expected, I had thought we could get an inch or two out of this but GYX had nothing here last evening while the models showed about a .10" or so qpf

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4.8" of 21:1 moist fluff, a total (and very pretty) surprise. Radar loop suggests it was really dumping at 4-6 AM, and the uneven surface points to giant parachutes, at least toward the end. It was a narrow band extending N-S and moving slowly SSW-ward. Mt. Vernon cocorahs reported 6.0" on 0.36" LE with a bit of sleet, and other than that and mine there were no obs higher than 1.5" in Maine when I looked at 7:30. (Obviously, Jeff's hadn't shown up yet.)

Nice, always great to wake up to a surprise four plus

guess it was further SW than forecast. Didn't see a 5 inch forecast in Tamarackville .WWA were further NW

I had seen it on the models but GYX was not to impressed for here last night as they had the bulk of the heavier precip only in the foothills and mountains

Well I didn't look hard, but it looked like a tenth or two as modeled plus decent ratios. I also saw that 850-500 layer nice and saturated too which is always a good sign. I remember thinking maybe someone could get a few inches, but honestly..I just glanced at it.

Well I didn't look hard, but it looked like a tenth or two as modeled plus decent ratios. I also saw that 850-500 layer nice and saturated too which is always a good sign. I remember thinking maybe someone could get a few inches, but honestly..I just glanced at it.

They were hitting a tenth or so the last day or so, I had mentioned this probably early yesterday, that it looked like a 1-3" to 2-4" type deal,  It had some of the NW areas getting close to .25" or so

The only thing i don't like is i was hoping the winds would stay more north then NW as is appears is happening as i down slope on those NW winds and i can see these echoes drying up as the try to move south which will probably benefit folks further south of here who don't seem to affected by them being further away from the mtns and foothills

Act two of The Little Band That Could dumped 2.5" from 9-11, another 0.2" by noon though by then the fluff was settling near as fast as the new was falling.  Event total 7.5" on 0.35", and since it all fell in 9-10 hr, would meet WSW criteria except for the tiny areal extent.  Still light snow falling, along with globs coming off the trees, but the northerly end of the band isn't too far away.

Archived