joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not much of an upslope .  Maybe 1/2 inch during the day after a couple fell overnite (which helped A LOT!  Was skeptical of this event looking at things, and bands never set up this am. Just a on-off  light gaupel shower all day at Bolton.

The couple sure did freshen things up thou. The resurfacing is why I love Vermont.  Met Jeremy (Eyewall) and we must have done a good ten runs, together. Good guy, Awesome time.

Not much of an upslope .  Maybe 1/2 inch during the day after a couple fell overnite (which helped A LOT!  Was skeptical of this event looking at things, and bands never set up this am. Just a on-off  light gaupel shower all day at Bolton.

The couple sure did freshen things up thou. The resurfacing is why I love Vermont.  Met Jeremy (Eyewall) and we must have done a good ten runs, together. Good guy, Awesome time.

I'm not sure how it was over there, but the snow was blowing around quite a bit on the trails over here.  It didn't seem like any more than 2" or so, but once you got into the sheltered areas of the woods (such as where my snow board is) you could immediately tell there was more snowfall than you might think (4" instead of the 1-2" it felt like).  This stuff was so dense too that it skied super soft and kept you above the crust layer. 

This photo shows it sort of...how you'd be skiing on top of the new snow and it doesn't look like much.  But if you actually dug down to find the rain crust from yesterday you'd find that there were actually several inches of like dense graupel-like flakes.  I think the upslope QPF was there, it just wasn't fluffy snow and I'd even think the ratios were under 10:1.  I could see a good half-inch of liquid added to the pack in 4" of essentially graupel.

photo_gallery_img_6021_edited_2_1.jpg

Thanks for posting that, that app is awesome, wonder if other guys here us it.

I wish I had an app that counted the graupel balls that hit my face on the first run (where I left goggles in car)

Powder, it's quite possible more fell over nite into earlier this am. However, from 1030 am this morning thru 3pm, it was on and off very light flurry, so def not even 1/2 inch during those hours, did you see how weak radar looked around noon time?

Hopefully we can get another band or two and maybe inch overnite to keep things fresh. Wind was howling over 2800' of so @ Bolton.

No problem and it is under alpinereplay or trace snow. Anyway the Euro is very interesting with no longer a single 960 bomb over MI. We do begin with the cutter but then a secondary low bombs to 975 mb by Thu night and becomes centered over where VT/NH/MA meet. the cold air is wrapped all the way around to the southwestern side of the storm with the Greens, Whites, and Dacks getting a solid dose of snow as the system lifts north on Christmas morning.

No problem and it is under alpinereplay or trace snow. Anyway the Euro is very interesting with no longer a single 960 bomb over MI. We do begin with the cutter but then a secondary low bombs to 975 mb by Thu night and becomes centered over where VT/NH/MA meet. the cold air is wrapped all the way around to the southwestern side of the storm with the Greens, Whites, and Dacks getting a solid dose of snow as the system lifts north on Christmas morning.

Yes that is a much better look and trending better, nice App, I used one last year too. Glad you and Pickles got together, good times.

Yes that is a much better look and trending better, nice App, I used one last year too. Glad you and Pickles got together, good times.

Yeah for sure and if we can salvage some snow on the back side I will take it, mainly for my family that is coming up who wants to see a little snow for Christmas.

any news on the xmas eve situation?  I assume 'nothing good since no one has posted anything.

12z gfs was scary - 3" RA for AUG, 4" for LEW, 5" for RUM, with 40s at the first 2 and upper 30s at RUM.  Glad it won't verify like that, as it would be a recipe for serious flooding of the Andro and K'bec drainages.

The 3-5" advisory turned out to be a 0.1" dusting.  ("Slushing" would be more accurate.)  Mile Hill had about 1" with every twig covered, no real surprise.  Belgrade Village had none, then two more locations on the way to AUG had frosted twigs and about 3/4" - snowfall probably varied by who got heavier precip to bring down enough cooler air.  The slushing in AUG at 20' elev (next to the river) looked the same as at my place 30 miles NNW and 360' higher. 

I've picked up almost an inch of snow at home since like 2pm, though radar shows absolutely nothing happening.  Flake size has increased a bit too.  I'm really surprised at the radar being so empty because its definitely been snowing fairly steadily the past couple hours.

it looked like their was more on the "patio/deck" here at Bolton, but I had no idea if it was wind blown or falling. Good report!

I'm not sure how it was over there, but the snow was blowing around quite a bit on the trails over here.  It didn't seem like any more than 2" or so, but once you got into the sheltered areas of the woods (such as where my snow board is) you could immediately tell there was more snowfall than you might think (4" instead of the 1-2" it felt like).  This stuff was so dense too that it skied super soft and kept you above the crust layer. 

This photo shows it sort of...how you'd be skiing on top of the new snow and it doesn't look like much.  But if you actually dug down to find the rain crust from yesterday you'd find that there were actually several inches of like dense graupel-like flakes.  I think the upslope QPF was there, it just wasn't fluffy snow and I'd even think the ratios were under 10:1.  I could see a good half-inch of liquid added to the pack in 4" of essentially graupel.

Looks like I made a good guess on QPF, as the Mansfield Co-op report came in with 0.5" liquid equiv in 3.3".  Snow depth increased 4" .  It was very small flakes and a lot of graupel.

This was no upslope fluff...but another nice gain for the snowpack to put in a half inch of QPF as snow on the slopes over yesterday's rain crust.  Although the actual snowfall numbers aren't impressive, its a nice addition to the snowpack.  Had it been upslope fluff, could've easily gotten 10"+ with that moisture.

STATION PRECIP TEMPERATURE PRESENT SNOW
24 HRS MAX MIN CUR WEATHER NEW TOTAL SWE
...VERMONT...
MOUNT MANSFIELD 0.50 29 17 17 3.3 33

These next two storms could be a disaster for NH and ME. VT too, but more over by NH and ME.

The beauty of Vermont, is that the Upslope machine can usually be counted on to "re-surface" the slopes with a few inches of powder which makes a HUGE difference on conditions ...where as NH and Maine can be skating rinks.

I must say the entire Village of Bolton Valley is Covered with a beautiful layer of  Rime Ice. The top of the mountain however will be absolutely gorgeous in the morning with the heavy plastering of RIME they got all day.

Ahh the benefit of living above 2,000ft in elevation.  Lots of winter, from freezing fog to snowfall.

They also can furnace their fluff away faster than anyone.

But not before its skied and enjoyed ;).  The more powder days the better.

And really, the mountains don't furnace their snow away.  The Spine holds its snow just fine.  If you want to talk about backyards in BTV, then yes.  But Pickles was talking about ski conditions.

These next two storms could be a disaster for NH and ME. VT too, but more over by NH and ME.

No worrying about QPF on that one, lol.  There's definitely a plume of higher theta-e air and really high PWAT's relative to normal, that moves up the coast and into Maine on the current progs.  That's the one benefit of a slightly east track with the cutter...further east we can get it, the less of that real humid warm sector that can get advected into NNE.

But not before its skied and enjoyed ;).  The more powder days the better.

And really, the mountains don't furnace their snow away.  The Spine holds its snow just fine.  If you want to talk about backyards in BTV, then yes.  But Pickles was talking about ski conditions.

Well Sunday River and Wildcat could be snow while VT gets a mess. That's what I mean. 

No worrying about QPF on that one, lol.  There's definitely a plume of higher theta-e air and really high PWAT's relative to normal, that moves up the coast and into Maine on the current progs.  That's the one benefit of a slightly east track with the cutter...further east we can get it, the less of that real humid warm sector that can get advected into NNE.

Yeah this setups probably squeezes out the QPF over the Whites and up through ME.

Well Sunday River and Wildcat could be snow while VT gets a mess. That's what I mean.

That's true and I'm always thinking northern VT, but SVT is much different and is quite prone to mixed precip events. Those ski areas certainly don't have the frequency of refreshing snowfalls as the north does...like to the tune of 100+ inches per year extra up north.

It's all in good fun. Each area of NNE has it's pros and cons...and there's a lot of pride depending on what area you associate yourself with, whether it's NH/ME or VT. NH/ME get grouped together while VT is like the red-headed step child, lol.

That's true and I'm always thinking northern VT, but SVT is much different and is quite prone to mixed precip events. Those ski areas certainly don't have the frequency of refreshing snowfalls as the north does...like to the tune of 100+ inches per year extra up north.

It's all in good fun. Each area of NNE has it's pros and cons...and there's a lot of pride depending on what area you associate yourself with, whether it's NH/ME or VT. NH/ME get grouped together while VT is like the red-headed step child, lol.

See to me, you guys are known for the best snow. It's just natural for someone in the BOS area to gravitate to ski areas that are closer.

See to me, you guys are known for the best snow. It's just natural for someone in the BOS area to gravitate to ski areas that are closer.

Yeah. Although surprisingly our largest market and highest percentage of guests is from Boston area and eastern Mass. After that it's Montreal. SVT is sort of a pain in the arse to get to from Boston, so they do mostly CT and NYC business.

But NH definitely takes the cake for ease of access from BOS. The way the interstates are set up and the ski area locations like Loon and Cannon that are literally on the interstate...NH wins ease of access to NNE from eastern SNE.

Yeah. Although surprisingly our largest market and highest percentage of guests is from Boston area and eastern Mass. After that it's Montreal. SVT is sort of a pain in the arse to get to from Boston, so they do mostly CT and NYC business.

But NH definitely takes the cake for ease of access from BOS. The way the interstates are set up and the ski area locations like Loon and Cannon that are literally on the interstate...NH wins ease of access to NNE from eastern SNE.

Friends of our family have a place at Okemo. Looks sweet and they always tell us to use it. I might try to sneak up in the Spring.

Friends of our family have a place at Okemo. Looks sweet and they always tell us to use it. I might try to sneak up in the Spring.

Ludlow is a sneaky snow retention town. They usually have some of the higher depths in eastern VT because they upslope on SE flow during the larger QPF events...won't get anything on west or NW flow, but do well in the larger scale regional events. Nice classic New England town too.

Archived