• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Nasty, raw Halloween weekend

Hoosier

It's kind of funny actually, the conventional wisdom around here is that LES bands always verify west east of where they're modeled, but I've seen about a 50/50 split, or perhaps even more of them verifying west.  Even our one good LES event in Feb 2012 we really got fringed on - around 4" here but 15" just a few miles west.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to undermine the snow potential but the wind potential looks to be pretty stout, with winds gusting around 40. Couple that with temperatures in the low to mid 30s you are looking at a wind chill around 20 maybe even a bit lower. It certainly looks like one of the worst Halloweens for trick-or-treaters tomorrow.

Good afd from them, laying out the uncertainty.  Can tell they don't have a lot of confidence.

Interesting that they haven't actually pushed out the product yet though.  I assume it'll come any minute now.

fwiw I think the AFD expresses the uncertainty very well, and the snowfall grids match exactly what I would have done.  Put the max somewhere in the Crown Point-Lowell-Hebron triangle, which right now they have at a very reasonable 2-3" (though I would not be at all surprised if someone in that triangle hit 6") and keep lower amounts outside of it.

imby, I'm thinking we eek out 1-2" of wind-driven paste.

Would anyone be offended if I set some official over/unders?

These are for anywhere in the LOT or IWX CWA, ending at 18z Saturday.

Wind gust: 61 mph

Measured snowfall*: 5.5"

*Any official ob, spotter report or CoOp report deemed valid enough by the NWS to publish in a PNS is fair game.

Deadline is midnight tonight!

Edit: Tie-breaker: location of max snowfall

*Any official ob, spotter report or CoOp report deemed valid enough by the NWS to publish in a PNS is fair game.

Over for both and Ainsworth IN for the max location.

Wind: Over

Snow: Over

Tiebreaker: Cedar Lake, IN

18z RGEM shifted west...actually has the bulk of the event from the IL state line west.  Wouldn't bite on that solution yet but it'll be interesting to see the 00z run.

I've learned from my years here to not dismiss these trends in the hi-res models in the last 24 hours.  

That said, given how strong winds will be I'm skeptical of the snowfall distribution being as narrow as the 4 km NAM has modeled.

Still, could be another infuriatingly close miss.  If by mid-afternoon it looks like we'll be fringed, I might take a ride down to Hebron...

I've learned from my years here to not dismiss these trends in the hi-res models in the last 24 hours.  

That said, given how strong winds will be I'm skeptical of the snowfall distribution being as narrow as the 4 km NAM has modeled.

Still, could be another infuriatingly close miss.  If by mid-afternoon it looks like we'll be fringed, I might take a ride down to Hebron...

Growing up in western Lake county, I know all about infuriatingly close misses. 

Growing up in western Lake county, I know all about infuriatingly close misses. 

I haven't lived here long enough to know the climo, but this has got to be unusual, right?  Lake County getting three in a row with Porter shut out.  (January, April, now October.)

If you believe 4 km NAM, we're done with any and all rain/snow by 20z.

Wind gust: 61 mph, over

Measured snowfall*: 5.5", over

Edit: Tie-breaker: location of max snowfall: Crown Point

That is farther west!

rad17.gif

rad18.gif

Archived