• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OBS

jaxjagman

Very rough evening around the Tri-Cities. Had a friend lose a portion of his house due to a tree falling. Multiple reports of damage in the area w some structural according to MRX. Check wcyb and wihl on FB. Hopefully kvskelton will check in...looks like eastern Hawkins took a beating.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weekend storms packed a lot of energy with those temps and dews, plus a little more shortwave action upstairs than one would expect in July. Early Monday morning about 2,000 were still without power area-wide. They may be back on now if not soon.

Temps and dews are both less impressive today, with nearly nothing upstairs. Marginal should cover it.

Any reports of a funnel cloud in the North Knoxville/ Southern Anderson Co. area? The wife and I were leaving a business in Powell when this storm cell blasted us. Two trees fell within 100 yards of us and we saw what appeared to be a funnel/wall cloud. Because of the terrain we weren't able to see how far it went to the ground. We tried to chase it, but weren't very successful. By the time we got to a clearing, the rain was too heavy for us to see anything. Whatever it was.....it was definitely hauling ass.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Nice rains,best i've seen in awhile.

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
TNC149-187-202130-
/O.NEW.KOHX.SV.W.0196.160820T2101Z-160820T2130Z/

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NASHVILLE TN
401 PM CDT SAT AUG 20 2016

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NASHVILLE HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...
  WEST CENTRAL RUTHERFORD COUNTY IN MIDDLE TENNESSEE...
  SOUTHEASTERN WILLIAMSON COUNTY IN MIDDLE TENNESSEE...

* UNTIL 430 PM CDT

* AT 401 PM CDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WAS LOCATED NEAR FRANKLIN...
  MOVING EAST AT 45 MPH.

HAZARD...60 MPH WIND GUSTS.

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED.

IMPACT...EXPECT DAMAGE TO ROOFS...SIDING...AND TREES.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
  MURFREESBORO...FRANKLIN...SMYRNA...BRENTWOOD...LA VERGNE...
  NOLENSVILLE...WALTERHILL...EAGLEVILLE...TRIUNE AND ROCKVALE.

• 2 weeks later...

Drove the kids around looking for pokemon this afternoon.Nice cell popped up around the Nolensville area,not much convection but a down pour with some gusty winds.Looks like some good cells by Johns area right now  or moving towards the west towards him

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Nashville TN
633 PM CDT SUN AUG 28 2016

.UPDATE...
FOR MESOSCALE DISCUSSION...

&&

.MESOSCALE DISCUSSION...

Will likely update zones to extend our late afternoon forecast
into the early evening hours to cover area of advancing convection
over our eastern counties. This area of pulse storms should
continue moving southwestward at about 16 kts, with the western
edge of the main thunderstorm area likely to be near a line from
Red Boiling Springs to Centertown by about 0130Z. Still expect
these storms to diminish after the loss of sunlight, although
it`s hard to know exactly how long they`ll maintain their vigor.
A few nights ago, some of these same sort of late-day storms lasted
until 10-11 pm CDT. We`ll just have to watch it and see how it
goes.

&&

• 1 month later...

Wow, I am so blessed (sarcasm)... my rain gauge at home (Louisville TN) recorded 0.07 from Yesterday and Today.. enough to wash SOME of the dust off my windshield... 

Thankfully it appears that the Plateau faired better... there's a decent sized (100-200 acre) fire up at the Devils Racetrack (Cove Lake State Park) and extending approximately 4 miles northeast along the spine of Cumberland Mountain.

This is from Jacksboro Walmart on Tuesday...

20161018_150400.jpg

1 hour ago, Knoxtron said:

Wow, I am so blessed (sarcasm)... my rain gauge at home (Louisville TN) recorded 0.07 from Yesterday and Today.. enough to wash SOME of the dust off my windshield... 

Thankfully it appears that the Plateau faired better... there's a decent sized (100-200 acre) fire up at the Devils Racetrack (Cove Lake State Park) and extending approximately 4 miles northeast along the spine of Cumberland Mountain.

This is from Jacksboro Walmart on Tuesday...

20161018_150400.jpg

Looks like some serious burning,thanks for sharing

A wx station near my house is reporting .38 of an inch.  Better than nothing.  Almost all summer showers dissipate as the reach TRI.  We have had drizzle on and off this afternoon.  Think northwest flow snow showers...but as rain.  I hate it for you guys to the south.  I knew that line was looking pretty flimsy, but 0.05!?  Terrible. 

14 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

This weather reminds me of Montana during the summer.  Warm during the day and very cool at night.  I am ready to no longer need using the word "summer" in my observations....

TRI bottomed at 34 degrees this morning. Could see a 40 degree swing between high and low today, which just does not happen very often in our neck of the woods.

2 hours ago, Blue Ridge said:

TRI bottomed at 34 degrees this morning. Could see a 40 degree swing between high and low today, which just does not happen very often in our neck of the woods.

Yeah, today I go out in the morning with a coat and need shorts by supper.  I have done some fishing out West.  Frost in the morning followed by heat/wind in the afternoon.  Good stats.  What a swing.

3 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

Yeah, today I go out in the morning with a coat and need shorts by supper.  I have done some fishing out West.  Frost in the morning followed by heat/wind in the afternoon.  Good stats.  What a swing.

KTRI reached 74 at the top of the hour to achieve that 40 degree swing. Pretty impressive.

The smoke in the central valley from ongoing forest fires/brush fires is insane at times, getting more and more disconcerting. I guess silver lining... beautiful sunsets atleast!

This is from Monday (10-31). I could not make out ridges less than 1/4 mile away in West Knoxville at times monday. The smell of smoke in the air was acrid and choking. This days smoke seem to  originate from the Cumberland mountain's/Plateaus many ongoing fires (including the fire I mentioned back on the 21st near Lafollete that is still on going/growing)

AMWX_Fire_10_31_16.jpg

This is from Tuesday (11-1). Different source of smoke (this time wafting up from the Cohutta Wilderness in Fannin County Georiga thats burned 1200 acres).

AMWX_Fire_11_1_16.jpg

Archived