Newest Member
    12bet1 net
heavy rain in Michigan today (11th)

Chinook

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some obs from the area representing the last 6 hours of rain

KDTW 112353Z 28007KT 10SM BKN006 OVC045 21/20 A2973 RMK AO2 RAE04 SLP062 P0002 60404 T02060200 10217 20200 55008

KDET 112353Z AUTO 15009KT 1 1/2SM +TSRA BR SCT005 BKN011 OVC032 22/21 A2968 RMK AO2 LTG DSNT N AND S TSB06 SLP045 P0095 60406 T02220206 10222 20217 56040

KMTC 112355Z 10011KT 1 1/2SM +TSRA BR BKN004 OVC007CB 21/21 A2968 RMK OCNL LTGICCG NW-N-NE TS 2NW-4N-6NE MOV N SLP058 60201 T02070206 10212 20202 58039

Check out some of the camera views along I-75 and I-696 through Oakland and Macomb Counties: http://mdotnetpublic.state.mi.us/drive/

I have lived in the Metro area my entire life I have never seen flooding that bad on either of those roads.

This is just insane. Apparently there are water rescues going on on I-696 right now which isn't surprising.

This stuff is all new to me. I have never seen widespread flooding like this in metro Detroit ever and I've lived here basically all of my life.

The only time I can remember was May 2004 but that was more of a month long thing. I do believe September of 1986 there was some big time flooding as well but nothing this bad in a one day storm.

Buy-fa8IQAAPN7-.jpg

Near Oakman/Ford Road in Dearborn via Twitter.

It was NOTHING like that when I drove through there between 4 PM and 5 PM. Still very much passable.

BTW, I took the surface streets from Dearborn back to the east side. I knew better than to even try I-94 (and clearly my better judgment worked to my benefit). Even then, I encountered a couple instances where I wondered if I should have turned around and not drowned. :lol:

It was NOTHING like that when I drove through there between 4 PM and 5 PM. Still very much passable.

BTW, I took the surface streets from Dearborn back to the east side. I knew better than to even try I-94 (and clearly my better judgment worked to my benefit) Even then, I encountered a couple instances where I wondered if I should have turned around and not drowned. :lol:

I was on the lodge at about 5PM and it was still fairly clear too. Standing water, but nothing too crazy or anything. It was still pouring rain at that point and I'm guessing that was about the time all heck broke loose. Now, apparently huge sections of the freeway are under multiple feet of water.

Tweet from the National Weather Service CLE.  My parents have gotten 4.8" today. I can not remember any day when my parents' house got over 3.6". I assume some roads are flooded.

attachicon.gifBuxddLSCcAA2EW9.png

Even by 10:00am Eastern, the radar showed 1-3" had fallen near Toledo.

attachicon.gif2014_08_11_14z_DTX_stormtotal.png

Just impressive amounts of rain in SE Michigan and NW Ohio. Sadly, all of that toxic runoff from SE Michigan and NW Ohio is going to flow right into Lake Erie. I wonder if we'll have a toxic algal bloom again very soon?

Just impressive amounts of rain in SE Michigan and NW Ohio. Sadly, all of that toxic runoff from SE Michigan and NW Ohio is going to flow right into Lake Erie. I wonder if we'll have a toxic algal bloom again very soon?

Unfortunately, I don't think fertilizer runoff from the flood water around HERE is the biggest concern. God only knows what's in the water running off around Detroit.

Very much could be a problem this week especially considering how wide spread this rain event was.

Very much could be a problem this week especially considering how wide spread this rain event was.

I wonder if there's ever been another time that 2"+ fell at all 4 of these along I-75 corridor; MBS, FNT, DTW, and TOL? The square mileage of areas that saw 3"+ in a few hours, let alone 2"+ is incredible. Surely every summer you've got isolated pockets of those amounts, but this is incredibly widespread to have totals like that. All that dirty run-off (including city sewer back ups and fertilized NW Ohio farm fields) is going to be in Lake Erie. And considering the mess that happened last week, this probably isn't going to help matters any.

Lake Erie's health thrives in hot dry summers when dirty inflow is minimized. This year has just been a disaster for water quality.

I wonder if there's ever been another time that 2"+ fell at all 4 of these along I-75 corridor; MBS, FNT, DTW, and TOL? The square mileage of areas that saw 3"+ in a few hours, let alone 2"+ is incredible. Surely every summer you've got isolated pockets of those amounts, but this is incredibly widespread to have totals like that. All that dirty run-off (including city sewer back ups and fertilized NW Ohio farm fields) is going to be in Lake Erie. And considering the mess that happened last week, this probably isn't going to help matters any.

Lake Erie's health thrives in hot dry summers when dirty inflow is minimized. This year has just been a disaster for water quality.

I can't think of one honestly.

By the way one of the local meteorologists for NBC 4 here in Detroit surmised what happened and his comparisons to previous events here: http://www.clickondetroit.com/weather/historic-rain-event-slams-metro-detroit/27419586

Trust me...no one should wish for the flooding we have here today. Its just a mess everywhere. Worst Ive ever seen. Had 4.39" in my backyard, the biggest amount Ive ever recorded in a single day. The 4.57" at DTW makes it the wettest August day and the 2nd wettest day on record, behind only 4.74" on July 31, 1925. The water was knee to waist deep in the streets, and water flooded or seeped into many basements (including mine). The pictures of 10 feet of water flooding area freeways is just incredible. At DTW, 1.24" fell in 24 minutes!

4074-800.jpg

4075-800.jpg

4076-800.jpg

4077-800.jpg

4078-800.jpg

4079-800.jpg

4070-800.jpg

4071-800.jpg

4072-800.jpg

4073-800.jpg

I can't think of one honestly.

By the way one of the local meteorologists for NBC 4 here in Detroit surmised what happened and his comparisons to previous events here: http://www.clickondetroit.com/weather/historic-rain-event-slams-metro-detroit/27419586

I would like to say this is probably the worst flood for the heart of metro-Detroit weve ever seen. And Gross makes excellent points - it was widespread. The only wetter day on record - July 31, 1925 - appears to have been not as widespread (at least the excessive amounts) but rather zeroed in on the Detroit recording station (Flint had 1.50" and Ypsilanti 0.52" on 7-31-25).

The record books for Detroit, which go to 1874, have been rewritten since 2008.

2007-08: 5th snowiest winter on record

2008-09: 10th snowiest winter on record

2008: snowiest year on record

2010-11: 6th snowiest winter on record

2010: 6th warmest summer on record

2010: 7th warmest year on record

2011: 5th warmest summer on record

2011: wettest year on record

2012: warmest summer on record

2012: warmest year on record

2013-14: snowiest winter on record

2013-14: 8th coldest winter on record