• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Severe Weather Coverage

huronicane

:yikes: Tornado warning in the southwest suburbs and NO coverage on the news.

That's how it generally is, outside the rare short break in.

Kind of dumb for the third largest city in the entire country. I mean even here in Detroit they go wall to wall if there is a tornado warning in the metro area. Of course this is a topic for another thread so I will leave it at this passing comment.

I grew up in Metro Detroit and am well aware of the wall to wall during significant severe weather, and then spent 7 years in Oklahoma, where I was spoiled (and was a part of) by the severe weather coverage there...Weather coverage here in Chicago is simply put... :yikes:

NBC5 has started to do some radar updates on the current tornado warning, though..

I'd like to pose the question "Should severe weather be taken more seriously in Chicago?" but I already know the answer.

I think the smaller markets in Illinois (Rockford (I know from experience), Peoria, Champaign, etc) probably do a much better job than Chicago when it comes to severe coverage.  But with 3.5 million TV homes (upwards of 15 million people) you'd think that during major severe weather events you'd be covering the storms instead of replaying packages from 5pm.

Especially after the stations were showing this PSA last year:

Unless the news is already on, break-in's are few and far between. And wall-to-wall coverage is very rare.

On the other-hand if a newscast is already on, there is more likely to be dedicated time spent on it.

I see 11/17 being mentioned... There was a lot of coverage that day, but only because of the large amount of talk leading up to it and the high potential.

From what I've seen, Indy and LAF TV coverage is pretty good in covering severe weather events.

Growing up in the Chicago TV market, it was pretty meh in my recollection. But, that was awhile ago. Which of course, considering the viewer population numbers...wasn't good. 

One of my local news channels is really good with severe weather coverage. They do nonstop coverage if there is a tornado warning or very high wind threat. They also have a radio station that they simulcast on so people who lose power and have battery powered radio can stay informed.

I seem to remember reading about 6/7/08 having rather poor television coverage in the Chicago area even with a potentially violent tornado heading into the area.  Some of you guys who were on the old Eastern forums will probably remember because I'm pretty sure that's where I read about the poor coverage.  I think the Sox were playing at home on that day so it added to the danger with a tornado coming into the southwest suburbs. 

Unless the news is already on, break-in's are few and far between. And wall-to-wall coverage is very rare.

On the other-hand if a newscast is already on, there is more likely to be dedicated time spent on it.

I see 11/17 being mentioned... There was a lot of coverage that day, but only because of the large amount of talk leading up to it and the high potential.

I see this as a problem though, especially knowing the tornado climatology for Metro Chicago. I mean the day that Dexter was hit here, it was wall to wall coverage until the storms were out of the area and that was only one of two tornadoes to hit that day. If they are just going to do coverage on obvious tornado outbreak and not on other days including today people aren't going to take days like today seriously when they should, and yes I do believe local news stations should be recommended if not required to do wall to wall coverage as many do get their information from local news stations on days like today.

I see this as a problem though, especially knowing the tornado climatology for Metro Chicago. I mean the day that Dexter was hit here, it was wall to wall coverage until the storms were out of the area and that was only one of two tornadoes to hit that day. If they are just going to do coverage on obvious tornado outbreak and not on other days including today people aren't going to take days like today seriously when they should, and yes I do believe local news stations should be recommended if not required to do wall to wall coverage as many do get their information from local news stations on days like today.

Chicago coverage generally stinks from what I've seen and I doubt it changes. The only way it would change imo is whenever the next big tornado strike occurs (think Plainfield, Oak Lawn, etc) and even then it would probably be temporary before going back to business as usual.

Chicago coverage generally stinks from what I've seen and I doubt it changes. The only way it would change imo is whenever the next big tornado strike occurs (think Plainfield, Oak Lawn, etc) and even then it would probably be temporary before going back to business as usual.

Yeah when said tornado kills/injures hundreds or thousands of people and it's too late.

Yeah unfortunately I think this will probably be the case as well, interestingly enough I was texting with a friend who is in Elkhart and South Bend's local stations were doing wall to wall coverage tonight. I mean to me it is almost embarrassing that small town local stations are providing better coverage than local stations of one of the largest metro areas in the country.

The coverage was almost non stop on 11/17 after Washington.  I got back home after chasing and the coverage was still ongoing.  The coverage leading up to the event was bad from what I remember, but once some damage occurred the news was all over it.  

If I remember correctly, one of the Peoria local stations was on as the storm hit them. You could hear the hail hitting the roof, and they then went offline to take cover.

Yeah unfortunately I think this will probably be the case as well, interestingly enough I was texting with a friend who is in Elkhart and South Bend's local stations were doing wall to wall coverage tonight. I mean to me it is almost embarrassing that small town local stations are providing better coverage than local stations of one of the largest metro areas in the country.

When you consider the homogenized, automated and syndicated mess that broadcasting in general has become, it IS sad that better local programming and coverage come from the small to medium markets. This probably applies a tad more to radio, but TV is in the same boat. As far as severe weather coverage on radio is concerned, in Flint, the only coverage I would MAYBE find is, WWJ, 950AM in Detroit... maybe... if they feel like covering a storm situation in Flint, 70 miles north of their main market.

Sad... It's the "Public's" airwaves, and we can't even count on them to serve their own community of license anymore.

If I remember correctly, one of the Peoria local stations was on as the storm hit them. You could hear the hail hitting the roof, and they then went offline to take cover.

This happens a lot more than you'd think!

Hmmm... I know a lot of old stations had bomb shelters in them.Here's a novel idea... a small, workable studio in the shelter area, Just a camera and radar would be fine at that point, just as simple as possible to keep coverage on the air.

I think a lot of this is due to who's staffed where.  Your small markets tend to have enthusiastic, well-educated mets as their on-air talent who are probably more persuasive in getting their station manager or whoever's in charge to pull the trigger on wall-to-wall than the broadcasters in top-five markets.  Also consider that the stations lose money when they don't air ads they agreed to air.  In a market like Chicago, that's a lot more money than in Lafayette or Peoria.

I've noticed all three out here are pretty good.  The CBS affiliate broke into the CBS Evening News within seconds of the confirmed tag being added to a warning.

I think a lot of this is due to who's staffed where.  Your small markets tend to have enthusiastic, well-educated mets as their on-air talent who are probably more persuasive in getting their station manager or whoever's in charge to pull the trigger on wall-to-wall than the broadcasters in top-five markets.  Also consider that the stations lose money when they don't air ads they agreed to air.  In a market like Chicago, that's a lot more money than in Lafayette or Peoria.

I've noticed all three out here are pretty good.  The CBS affiliate broke into the CBS Evening News within seconds of the confirmed tag being added to a warning.

Sad truth that money talks in this situation.

Small token by all means since it was 2 a.m. but I know NBC5 Chicago went live with coverage with the tor warned storm up here early Monday morning. At least credit that they weren't all asleep at the wheel. Then again the missed ads are probably a lot cheaper at that hour!

Also, you have to figure a guy like Skilling has the enthusiasm and cred to persuade or even pull rank to some extent at WGN. Is it a Superstation thing in that case or is that national carry a seperate feed? I'm perplexed by the lack of a break-in, especially there.

Archived