joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Significant Severe Events: June 14th-19th

andyhb

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is apparently all that was found of a car that was thrown near Stanton (not sure how far).

FYcPhme.jpg

From Bart Comstock, he has video of that 91 Chevy Pickup.

16 minutes ago ·

Way late to the show. Heading to intercept storm by Bartlet, NE. Drove through the damage as seen here. This was a 91 Chevy truck. Inside is the motor of a Polaris quad and part of a new Nissan. Police are looking for the occupants now. Nearby house is a clean slab.

In retrospect, this was easily the most impressive supercell I've seen since 4/27/11, and you probably have to go back to Greensburg to find one like it in the Plains. I imagine a number of case studies coming out of it.

It really was just vomiting tornadoes.

In retrospect, this was easily the most impressive supercell I've seen since 4/27/11, and you probably have to go back to Greensburg to find one like it in the Plains. I imagine a number of case studies coming out of it.

Anyone word on mobile radars being out today?  That would be an incredible data set if any were.  I still can't believe that I had to sit this one out, going to be a while before I get over that. 

GIF of my screencaps, not only was this cell incredibly prolific, the majority of the tornadoes it produced were large and very intense. That's what happens when you put a lone supercell into an absurd parameter space for a decent amount of time.

uIkpuoz.gif

I gotta say...TWC's website headlines drive me nuts, always a freakin' dangerous situation even if it's a "dangerous pollen ahead" headline...but they do a pretty good job when they go to live coverage mode on TV.

They keep it simple enough and the hype is toned relatively appropriately. JMO

GIF of my screencaps, not only was this cell incredibly prolific, the majority of the tornadoes it produced were large and very intense. That's what happens when you put a lone supercell into an absurd parameter space for a decent amount of time.

uIkpuoz.gif

Who was streaming that feed? That was a perfect view for virtually the entire life of the storm .

What are your thoughts?

Could be isolated EF 4 damage when the dust clears, but I haven't see anything indicating the +. Most pics I've seen look like EF 3-4, which means they COULD be EF 4, but you don't see that kind of debris and standing structure left in anything more than an EF 4...which one could only infer to mean EF 5. EF 5 typically = swept clean.

Just my opinion though and worth the price I've charged for it, I'm not looking for a fight.

I'm sure we'll get some EF-5 damage if houses are off the foundation. Meaning 200 MPH winds.

Well no, that depends on the local building quality.

This is a conversation that has been repeated many times before, so I will just say that we simply don't know yet.

I, for the record, believe that mobile radar data should be used to supplement damage assessments. We all know that damage to human structures <> wind speed.

I'm sure we'll get some EF-5 damage if houses are off the foundation.  Meaning 200 MPH winds.

Just because homes are off their foundations does not mean it is EF-5 damage. Most homes will be completely destroyed with EF-3 or EF-4 type damage due to their construction build. Have any photos shown whether the homes were secured to the foundation via nails or bolts? If the homes were 'secured' into the foundation with nails then it does not take much to pull out the walls and get a clean foundation (still a strong tornado). I doubt we'll see any homes rated EF-5 unless they were secured to the foundation with nuts and bolts. I haven't seen any commercial/industrial structure damage photos so I'll withhold judgement. 

Well no, that depends on the local building quality.

This is a conversation that has been repeated many times before, so I will just say that we simply don't know yet.

I, for the record, believe that mobile radar data should be used to supplement damage assessments. We all know that damage to human structures <> wind speed.

So to clarify, even if there were 200+ mph winds, it won't be an EF 5 if the damage doesn't support it. It will be whatever the max damage supports. They LOOKED like a pair of EF 3-4s to me. They weren't mile wide wedges.

EF 7. This was definitely unique.

Let's consider a halfway plausible scenario... An EF-3 hits town, does a bunch of EF-3 type damage... Then that tornado is followed shortly afterwards by an EF-4... Wouldn't the EF-3 damaged structures hit by a subsequent EF-4 show greater signs of damage than would be caused by a single EF-4? Or do they have a way of determining the damage caused by each specific tornado individually??

Today is the first time I fully and truthfully regret not having chased.

Scott Peake's video (Basehunters) several posts back is some of the best tornado footage I've seen in a while. He has absolutely killed it with tornado video this year.

Pilger, NE looks like EF-4 damage based on the few pics I've looked at.

Looks like this turned into a "fight" it's always safe to err on the side of lesser EF-Scale damage. And guessing by the fact that it was a small town in Nebraska, the homes probably didn't have fantastic foundation-to-wall attachment; i.e, bolts/washers/screws over nails. As far as Mobile radar measurements go, why shouldn't we use those to accurately determine a tornado's strength? Just like with El-Reno last year, if a near 300mph wind gust is measured by a DOW, why in the world would you downgrade it to an EF-4 just because of damage, because 298mph is well above EF-5 threshold.

Archived