• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer time and the livin's easy

SACRUS

When discussing climate in an area or temperature correlations you can't just cherry pick the areas you want. If you want to discuss these things you need to compare all areas of the NYC metro, both heavily urbanized and those areas more rural. Just because 10 people live in city A and 2 people each live in city's B, C, D, E and F doesn't mean that more people live in one area than the other. City A is just more densely populated.

Bluewave specifically mentioned what people experience, so yes, you have to discuss where those people live. You have to be trolling at this point, right? Youre just in too deep and worried youll get suspended for trolling if you admit it?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude...  Of the 20mm people that live in the NYC metro, MOST OF THEM live in an area characterized by the readings from EWR or LGA.  That is the damn point, and if you can't get that, well, there isn't much else we can do.

I agree that NYC is the most heavily populated area or densely populated city in the country.

Getting back to the original argument. No way are the readings at Central Park less accurate than those at KEWR. And the original premise of my argument which has been swept under the rug is that if anything the readings at KEWR are less accurate because the sensor is located between a highway and a runway.

I agree that NYC is the most heavily populated area or densely populated city in the country.

Getting back to the original argument. No way are the readings at Central Park less accurate than those at KEWR. Any the original premise of my argument which has been swept under the rug is that if anything the readings at KEWR are less accurate because the sensor is located between a highway and a runway.

Do you understand the difference between accurate and representative?

Getting back to the original argument. No way are the readings at Central Park less accurate than those at KEWR. And the original premise of my argument which has been swept under the rug is that if anything the readings at KEWR are less accurate because the sensor is located between a highway and a runway.

No, urban NE is nj is the most heavily populated area, and no one here questioned the accuracy of either reading.

Do you understand the difference between accurate and representative?

Of course I do.

You're just simply never going to get me to agree to what BxEngine is saying. Because many parts of NYC have vegetation. Other than the south Bronx, most of Brooklyn and Manhattan plenty of trees and grass exists.

My readings are closer to EWR in CNJ and my yard isno runway.  You can see it in uncs stats the temp has been greatly influenced by the vegetation,  Plenty of other threads on this sunject.  This one is clogging this summer discussion.

Of course I do.

You're just simply never going to get me to agree to what BxEngine is saying. Because many parts of NYC have vegetation. Other than the south Bronx, most of Brooklyn and Manhattan plenty of trees and grass exists.

Yes, but most areas are not in a park-like setting completely surrounded by vegetation.

Yes, but most areas are not in a park-like setting completely surrounded by vegetation.

My point is that if you took the censor out of Central Park and put it in the middle of Times Square the readings would consistently be higher than KLGA and KJFK. But one could argue that the micro climate of Times Square isn't a good representation of the rest of NYC.

My point is that if you took the censor out of Central Park and put it in the middle of Times Square the readings would consistently be higher than KLGA and KJFK. But one could argue that the micro climate of Times Square isn't a good representation of the rest of NYC.

Which post suggested that?  The point being made is that LGA and EWR are more representative of the temps people living in the NYC metro experience, especially in summer (bc of the vegetation in Central Park).

Which post suggested that?  The point being made is that LGA and EWR are more representative of the temps people living in the NYC metro experience, especially in summer (bc of the vegetation in Central Park).

Well I think my point is that if you moved the censor for EWR to a more residential section of that city the readings wouldn't run as high as they do in that exact location.

The entire premise of my argument is that the censors should be located in areas that don't bake in the sun all day. 

So how does this point make the current location of the KNYC sensor any more representative?

KNYC's data is not representative of the rest of the NYC metro area. LGA/JFK/EWR are all more representative of the NYC Metro area because most of the area is densely populated and in the city it is a concrete jungle. A park is never going to be a good representation of the climate in that situation because no one lives in the park. This is pretty basic stuff here and basing the conversation on the outskirts of the metro doesn't make sense since it is the least populated areas.

KNYC's data is not representative of the rest of the NYC metro area. LGA/JFK/EWR are all more representative of the NYC Metro area because most of the area is densely populated and in the city it is a concrete jungle. A park is never going to be a good representation of the climate in that situation because no one lives in the park. This is pretty basic stuff here and basing the conversation on the outskirts of the metro doesn't make sense since it is the least populated areas.

The point is that while KNYC may not be a good representation because it's in a park, neither is KEWR because the censor is literally on a tarmac that bakes in the sun all day. KLGA and KJFK have marine influences.

The point is that while KNYC may not be a good representation because it's in a park, neither is KEWR because the censor is literally on a tarmac that bakes in the sun all day. KLGA and KJFK have marine influences.

Take Staten Island or New Brunswick , both of which usually align closer to EWR than the park on the hotter days, 

All temperature sensors are set up so they are never in the sun, if they did it would probably read 110 or higher on the hottest days of the summer.

See my post above.

Yes and that matters how to the discussion? The point is everywhere else in the metro experiences the same amount of sun with limited shade except for Central Park which everyone here except you understands this...

Yes and that matters how to the discussion? The point is everywhere else in the metro experiences the same amount of sun with limited shade except for Central Park which everyone here except you understands this...

Everywhere else in the Metro area? Here we go with broad generalizations again.

What a waste of an hour I'll never get back.

Everywhere else in the Metro area? Here we go with broad generalizations again.

What a waste of an hour I'll never get back.

Broad generalizations that make sense to the discussion at hand, most of the population lives in the city or near it. What happens out around 287 or on the east end of Long Island isn't as representative to most in the metro even if those areas are officially in the metro. Climatic data is going to be best representative in areas where most people live or areas of similar geographical makeup.

Archived