• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
May 2014

uncle W

It's looks transient. But the 0z GFS last night had 80s next Wednesday into New England with 850mb temps 14-16C. The GEFS have has above normal temps next Friday. We have to watch how models handle strong the blocking and trough to our north and east, will be late next week:

2j5x6g.jpg

2u8fayb.jpg

20uqpfs.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Great Lakes and Midwest are usually cooler during the summer when we get developing El Nino conditions in the Pacific.

I think our pattern will come down to the strength and placement of the Western Atlantic Ridge. The long range forecasts

have us on the western extent of the ridge so far.

attachicon.gifm.02.t.gif

Being on the western edge of the ridge should keep us in a continues southwest flow with warm temperatures and also a steady a stream of moisture out of the gulf. It should keep the gulf open for business severe wise down in the south and also favor a TC track from the western Caribbean into the eastern gulf.

Being on the western edge of the ridge should keep us in a continues southwest flow with warm temperatures and also a steady a stream of moisture out of the gulf. It should keep the gulf open for business severe wise down in the south and also favor a TC track from the western Caribbean into the eastern gulf.

Hot and humid summer incoming.

Oh wait, that's every summer.

I just hope that you're here complaining when we have a week straight of pouring rain in July. It will give me some incentive to log in.

LMAO, good luck with that.  Our wettest month EVER didn't even feature that ridiculousness, get out of here.

LMAO, good luck with that.  Our wettest month EVER didn't even feature that ridiculousness, get out of here.

We've had plenty of summer where it rained everyday for long stretches. Maybe not constantly but with at least some measurable rain. We had that last July.

It would be awesome if it was in the 40's with pouring rain for Memorial Day weekend. I might make a special trip to Mid-town just to see the look on your face for that one.

We've had plenty of summer where it rained everyday for long stretches. Maybe not constantly but with at least some measurable rain. We had that last July.

Last year had that June nor'easter with a full day washout, it was really strange and felt like April. I doubt we've ever seen week long washouts in July. A few 3-4 hour MCS's will do the trick.

Last year had that June nor'easter with a full day washout, it was really strange and felt like April. I doubt we've ever seen week long washouts in July. A few 3-4 hour MCS's will do the trick.

All you need is to have the western atlantic ridge setup in a favorable position and you'll get into a pattern where you destabilize everyday by early afternoon and rain until the sun sets. Again, maybe not total washouts for a week straight, but I've had plenty of summer vacations ruined as a kid where we had say 4 washouts in seven days at our shore house in Pomona.

It's so easy to create a summer forecast if you think about since almost every summer is similar. The question is always whether it will be an even hotter summer than a typical hot summer.

8 out of the last 9 summers with above normal temperatures here is quite a run.

All you need is to have the western atlantic ridge setup in a favorable position and you'll get into a pattern where you destabilize everyday by early afternoon and rain until the sun sets. Again, maybe not total washouts for a week straight, but I've had plenty of summer vacations ruined as a kid where we had say 4 washouts in seven days at our shore house in Pomona.

I'd love to have a favorable western Atlantic ridge in September :)

Becoming more confident that late next week, possibly Friday 5/9, could feature widespread temperatures of 85-90F across the region, save for the immediate coast. Still think that period could produce an intense blast of warmth.

Global teleconnections argue for a very warm period May 8-12th. The NAO / AO trend positive in concert with a falling PNA and rapidly rising EPO, which should all work simultaneously to produce an expansive area of higher than normal heights in the Eastern US for late next week.

PNA

ecmwf_pna_bias.png

EPO:

eps_epo_bias.png

I like +1 or so for a May temp departure in NYC. Analogs and pattern progression support this.

Here is the aforementioned heat surge on the 00z ECMWF ensembles valid 5/9:

dvls7q.png

Thereafter, we probably enter a back and forth regime with FROPAS followed by cooler than normal temps, then back to above yet again.

2vagub8.png

It would be awesome if it was in the 40's with pouring rain for Memorial Day weekend. I might make a special trip to Mid-town just to see the look on your face for that one.

I'll be the **** out of here if that happens.

Archived