SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Medium/Long Range thread

famartin

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never studied the phenomenon myself but many say the GFS is better with northern stream systems than southern ones, so that kinda makes sense.

Most definitely. Boxing Day, 12z run dec 24th, GFS picked up on the stronger northern vort, pretty much every Secs MECS event last year with the one exception feb 13th which was southern stream system the euro was all over.

Typical model biases showing up again for next week. 00z ec amped up now after first wave of ice/rain. 

Every event is pretty much thread the needle, the overrunning event I'm inclined to believe is going to be a miss right now, the Euro has had problems being too sluggish on highs out of Canada this winter, so that high it thinks will be over the Lakes allowing the overrunning to reach up to NY and be mostly rain is probably not right.  It'll probably over NY and squash that overrunning.  The next event is maybe the best chance of the winter, its all over the ensembles for a few days.  Eventually one event is going to hit I think but it may take til 1/25 or so til it happens.

Both GFS models are spitting out a sizeable storm it appears. Old gfs has 2 events....first looks icy. Fun times ahead for all!

Hope it works out but the MJO is headed into the circle of death according to the dynamic models that could change. Other teleconnections are iffy. Looks like a thread the needle situation as someone mentioned.

Hope it works out but the MJO is headed into the circle of death according to the dynamic models that could change. Other teleconnections are iffy. Looks like a thread the needle situation as someone mentioned.

MJO doesn't seem to be driving the bus lately -- i.e. we're in a warm phase now that's not working out very well.

Every event is pretty much thread the needle, the overrunning event I'm inclined to believe is going to be a miss right now, the Euro has had problems being too sluggish on highs out of Canada this winter, so that high it thinks will be over the Lakes allowing the overrunning to reach up to NY and be mostly rain is probably not right.  It'll probably over NY and squash that overrunning.  The next event is maybe the best chance of the winter, its all over the ensembles for a few days.  Eventually one event is going to hit I think but it may take til 1/25 or so til it happens.

The 12z ECMWF just looks odd to much giveway to WAA and cutting low tracks to the north.  I think we have good potential for both events at this point, icing signal is strong with the first event. We did good getting the first light snow this week with the clipper. 

The 12z ECMWF just looks odd to much giveway to WAA and cutting low tracks to the north. I think we have good potential for both events at this point, icing signal is strong with the first event. We did good getting the first light snow this week with the clipper.

Agree with this ingredients are there for icing:

1. Extremely cold grounds here and incoming.

2. Ocean water temps taking a dive due to cold air advect

3. Big snow pack cold in southeastern Canada gives credence to big strong cold high to send down cold on northeast winds all steps 1 to 3 with cold grounds and or snow pack lead to CAD cold air daming at surface.

4. Weak low or overrun event warm aloft but not at surface.

5. STJ aid in sending warming over slow retreating cold air or cold air locked in due to CAD.

6. How 1 through 5 line up will tell us the severity and duration of snows sleet and potentially dangerous ice.

Euro has a nice coastal passing by on Thursday (heaviest precip 12Z-18Z), but its mix or rain in the cities with the 850 0C line just NW of I-95.  Interior should do good on this run, but precip tapers fairly quickly away from the rain/snow line.

Archived