joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Medium/Long Range thread

famartin

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen 1965-66 and 1978-79 mentioned recently as possible analogs for this winter. All of the teleconnections don't match up, but looking at those years is helping me to adjust my expectations for this winter.

For starters, both of those winters featured a "meh" December and a warm and wet Christmas eve or Christmas day. January 1979 had a 10 day period of cold and snow early to mid-month. January 1966 did not. Most of 1978-79's snow at PHL fell during the 1st 3 weeks of February, capped off by the President's Day snowstorm (Feb. 19th). Most of 1965-66's snow at PHL fell in the last week of January and 1st week of February. Both winters wound up with above average snowfall at PHL.

I'm not forecasting or predicting, the weather has this thing about making me feel silly when I do. But in adjusting my expectations (and hopes) for snow this winter, I look at those two winters as possible analogs for how this winter could play out. And at this point a good wintery spell of 2 to 3 weeks later in January and into February still seems doable, and anything in early January would be a bonus (in my view).

The foreigners minus the Ukie look great tonight in fantasy land with CMC showing 15-20 mm snow for Philly as well as most of NJ even to the central coast.

Euro (depending on your snowmap has 6" philly and up along I95 until central jersey and east to about 10 miles inland away from the coast with nyc inside 6" as well. North and west score big with 10" plus.

The Wiggum Storm is very much alive and well! 2 events coming between 12/30-1/5. Sacrificial lamb storm moves into 50/50. Front gets hung up down thru the GOM. SLP forms on stalled front in GOM and SE Ridge forces LP to move ENE back into 50/50. Pattern essentially repeats for a second storm later in that range. Jury is still out if we get a third system (Archambeault Event) just after those dates I am honing in on. More details later.

Does this remind anyone one else of the Superbowl storm last winter? That quick hitting storm everyone was nervous about the cold air actually getting down in time. Feel like it could be like that again. The swath the GGEM shows is pretty much identical. 

Over 5" of snow imby, with the temp. at 33F most of the time. A nice snow. Hopefully the cold air comes in for this one too.

Cold week on the euro with a brief warmup and cutter. An 80's winter could be unfolding ugh. My strawberries are putting out new growth.

LOL - I'd take a 1980's winter in a second over this mess to date, really doesn't resemble an 80's winter - it's along the lines of one of those wretched 1990's winters

Archived