• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 4th Severe Bust Obs

Hvward

Sun just peaking out here in Asheville and initiating daytime heating.  The line will be moving over the Southeast at an ideal time so I suspect that many on the board will see strong winds and spotty hail.  Already a tornado warning for Murfreesboro so some good activity this morning.  I don't believe tornados are nearly as much of a threat though today as they were yesterday.

2ilnc3.jpg

Yeah Jon the line really just weakened on radar in the last 20-30 mins.  Low dewpoints my guess?  Honestly it feels pretty nice outside though I can see clouds on the horizon really beginning to develop their bases and blossom.  It will be interesting to see if these re-strengthen like what was previously predicted or die out like the HRRR is suggesting.

i was hoping for at least some decent storms around today....all of a sudden they disappeared and the forecast went from the 70-80% chance to 30%

hopefully this isnt a harbinger of how this years storm season goes around the se

We all knew this would spiral downward... but, not so flamboyantly!

Was hoping for a few-hundredths of rain to wash away the yellow shiate

covering everything and turning the sky green.

Thinking this might be a "harbinger" for this SE this summer.

We might be due. 

Summer Bust!  Yep.  Let's start a new 2014-15 Winter Ob Thread.

This was never going to be much of anything. The next system should do better in the rain dept for a pretty large area....the one on Monday.

Models were bullish on this event.  Wednesday they showed total totals over the mountains of 56(edit) or more.  TWC TorCon's were between 4 and 6 yesterday for most of the southeast.  In my opinion the models missed this pretty bad.  Most outlets were predicting heavy rain, high winds, and lightning for my area and we barely got a shower.  It wasn't going to be much for those in the eastern part of the state due to timing but GA and western NC were supposed to at least get something.

Models were bullish on this event. Wednesday they showed total totals over the mountains of 60 or more. TWC TorCon's were between 4 and 6 yesterday for most of the southeast. In my opinion the models missed this pretty bad. Most outlets were predicting heavy rain, high winds, and lightning for my area and we barely got a shower. It wasn't going to be much for those in the eastern part of the state due to timing but GA and western NC were supposed to at least get something.

Well from what I understand, the GFS/Euro always showed what happened today. I have been checking every run of the GFS and Euro so far this past 4 days(only because I want to know how much rain I'm expecting the next four days) and they always showed the storms completely dissipating with nothing more than sprinkles.

Well from what I understand, the GFS/Euro always showed what happened today. I have been checking every run of the GFS and Euro so far this past 4 days(only because I want to know how much rain I'm expecting the next four days) and they always showed the storms completely dissipating with nothing more than sprinkles.

00z GFS last night had a large swath of total totals between 54 and 56 at 8pm today in the southeast with cape in central GA over 1000 and .10-.25 moisture.  That would indicate at least some type of storm to me.  I am in no way trying to legitimizes my reasoning for starting a thread because I agree it wasn't the best move, but you can't just deny that there wasn't a severe threat when many mets were calling for it.  Hindsight is typically 20/20.

Models were bullish on this event.  Wednesday they showed total totals over the mountains of 56(edit) or more.  TWC TorCon's were between 4 and 6 yesterday for most of the southeast.  In my opinion the models missed this pretty bad.  Most outlets were predicting heavy rain, high winds, and lightning for my area and we barely got a shower.  It wasn't going to be much for those in the eastern part of the state due to timing but GA and western NC were supposed to at least get something.

The air east of the mountains was too stable.  The mountains did what they usually do to a thin line of storms.  The difference was the lack of instability to refire the storms as they moved east. 

This was never going to be much of anything. The next system should do better in the rain dept for a pretty large area....the one on Monday.

I have to agree on this one...even for my area in Western North Carolina the worst case scenario was a QLCS that would break up as it crossed the mountains, so therefor I really question the whole motive behind calling this a huge bust. It's not like the SPC had a moderate risk out and nothing happened, it was a borderline event that they felt was enough to qualify as "slight risk."

Thursday's activity in the Mid-South turned out pretty much as planned...

Monday's storm system would actually pose a much greater threat when specifically looking at dynamics...question is will Gulf Coast activity hinder moisture transport? And just how strong will our wedge boundary be in the Carolinas on Monday?

I have to agree on this one...even for my area in Western North Carolina the worst case scenario was a QLCS that would break up as it crossed the mountains, so therefor I really question the whole motive behind calling this a huge bust. It's not like the SPC had a moderate risk out and nothing happened, it was a borderline event that they felt was enough to qualify as "slight risk."

Thursday's activity in the Mid-South turned out pretty much as planned...

Monday's storm system would actually pose a much greater threat when specifically looking at dynamics...question is will Gulf Coast activity hinder moisture transport? And just how strong will our wedge boundary be in the Carolinas on Monday?

Thanks for the response as you can tell I am still learning.  Looking at the GFS this morning I am curious to hear your thoughts on the severe plots and what to make of them.  For monday there does appear to be abundant moisture but the severe maps all have weaker totals for surface cape, total totals, and base lift compared to the 00z GFS from Thursday night.  The one main difference I see is on the helicity map.  What should I be looking for on these maps that would indicate a better severe threat?  Does a lot of it play on how much moisture is available?  Once again just trying to learn and get better so I can contribute more and not start anymore useless threads.

Archived