• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Is our area a snow town?(not DCA) but the area

Ji

I would say yes. We are a snow town. We are a sucky snow town but still a snowtown....why? This is the 3rd time since 02-03 that Dulles has gotten a 50 inch winter. You dont get 50 inch winters if you are not a snow town...yet alone 3 times in 10-11 years. And in winters that suck, we at least have threats to track because we are in the game for many events for a time before we get screwed(10-11) for example. In years that we suck and dont have any threats, well typically the entire east coast sucks.

I would say Northern Virginia is the southern most of snow towns on the east coast but i think we qualify as as a snow town. Just not a very good one. But it snows here and we should expect snow.

I am averaging about 38 or so inches a year the past 5 years lol

For major metro areas we are definitely a snow town. We have horrifying years of course but in every 10 year period going back through history, we get a lot of big storms. We can score multiple ways too. Anything from millers, front end from cutters, clippers, overunning, and cad really helps at times. Overall, we hold our own pretty good. Our area is bad for snow haters. That's for sure. 

Westminster, Winchester, and even Leesburg are snow towns IMO. I'm pretty sure they average at least one 6"+ event per year.

Interesting post Fozz. I always use 5" as a standard for a good snow, no idea why. But, using that, since I moved here in 08-09, we have had 16 events of 5" or more, an avg of 2.7 per year.

Isn't one of Denver's biggest snow months April?

March is their snowiest but April can produce. 

The thing about Denver is being on the lee side of the rockies has a huge disadvantage. They only get decent snow with an easterly component. Their best years are Nino's when lp tracks the 4 corners. Their worst years are ones dominated by NW flow. Like this year. Generally speaking, when it's a dry winter in southern and central CA, Denver will get below average snow. 

51 years living in Rockville. Definitely a snow town. I have great memories of the historic winters of the past. But the last few years have really been depressing . This year reminded me of winters of my youth. Winters where going out onto local lakes and ponds and being able to sled most of the winter was commonplace. Hoping for more winters like this one.

Archived