Mitchel Volk

UPTON:

"LOW PRESSURE IS THEN PROGGED TO DEVELOP ALONG THE SE COAST ON TUE
AS AM AMPLIFYING UPPER TROUGH APPROACHES...AND THEN HEAD NE AND
OUT TO SEA TUE NIGHT-WED. UNCERTAINTY EXISTS ON AMT OF PHASING OF
VARIOUS INVOLVED SHORTWAVE TROUGHS AS CAN BE EXPECTED THIS FAR OUT
IN TIME... WITH THE 12Z GFS WEAKER AND SUPPRESSED...WHILE THE 12Z
ECMWF SHOWS NEAR PERFECT PHASING OF STREAMS...DEVELOPING A INTENSE
OCEAN STORM THAT TRACKS TO THE SOUTH/EAST...PASSING OVER 38N 70W.
LACK OF A DOWNSTREAM BLOCKING 50/50 LOW SUGGESTS THE SYSTEM SHOULD
BE PROGRESSIVE...BUT AT THE SAME TIME SFC HIGH PRESSURE TO ITS
NORTH WILL BE IN RETREAT AND NOT IN A POSITION TO SUPPRESS THE LOW
AS WAS THE CASE WITH THE PAST TWO SYSTEMS. WITH THOSE IDEAS IN
MIND AND THE INHERENT UNCERTAINTY IN UPPER LEVEL PHASING AND
THEREFORE STORM INTENSITY...SIDED WITH THE IDEA OF A LOW A LITTLE
BIT STRONGER THAN THAT DEPICTED BY THE 12Z GFS AND TAKING A TRACK
SIMILAR TO THE 12Z ECMWF AND THE WESTWARD-LEANING 12Z GEFS
ENSEMBLE MEMBERS...CLOSE ENOUGH TO BRING A CHANCE OF SNOW FROM
LATE DAY TUE INTO WED MORNING. ALSO SIDED WITH COLDER TEMP
GUIDANCE DURING THIS TIME...WITH LOWS IN THE 20S TUE NIGHT AND
HIGHS IN THE MID AND UPPER 30S FOR WED."

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro individuals are still all over the place, everything from a whiff, to a close miss, to a Boxing Day redux to one solution which is so far west that we actually get close to being dry slotted.

Keep in mind, the Boxing Day storm happened during a huge NAO block, which slowed down the progressive pattern enough to nail most of us. Without a block, that storm would never have happened or would have been OTS. We would need a very amplified setup to allow enough digging for a storm far enough west for us.

Keep in mind, the Boxing Day storm happened during a huge NAO block, which slowed down the progressive pattern enough to nail most of us. Without a block, that storm would never have happened or would have been OTS. We would need a very amplified setup to allow enough digging for a storm far enough west for us.

It's always nice to get a history lesson on something you experienced and already knew.

This will truly be a 'perfect timing' scenario if a big storm comes to fruition here. Without Atlantic blocking, everything has to come together just 'right' in terms of phasing. 

and the chances of that happening are very low

This looks like a Miller A / phasing potential synoptic set-up on the ECMWF to me. Classic split flow / PNA pattern with the northern stream riding up and over the western ridge, diving southeastward in the Central Plains. Undercutting sub tropical jet enhanced by the likely phase 1 MJO wave.

The PNA axis as progged is ideal. There's not a much better look you can find for the PNA / EPO region. The Atlantic, as has been the story this winter, isn't pulling its weight. If we had the 50/50 low (don't even need a Greenland block for this), it'd be screaming MECS potential for me. As it stands, the pattern is very obviously full of potential, otherwise we wouldn't be seeing such wild solutions on some of the guidance.

The progression could change to Miller B but right now it looks like a Miller A bomb on the ECMWF/ensembles.

The trough axis is conducive for the greatest amount of upper divergence near the east coast as well.

Of course it's as progged currently. What we don't want to see is the following:

1. Progressively weaker/de-amplified short wave

2. PNA ridge axis less meridional and/or shifting further east than currently depicted; this would place the cyclogenesis zone offshore

3. STJ becoming a non-player, forcing us to rely solely on northern stream s/w deepening which would more likely favor those NE of us.

15d1hu1.png

Honestly, if you ignore the specifics, this was actually a better run than even the EURO IMO. It phased the Northern Branch much earlier than the EURO, but it had issues with setting up a new baroclinic zone (it tried, you can see the inverted trough feature over SE PA)...This was a great run overall. Especially when compared to the crap 12z run. 

Those temps are crazy for late March... 

It's good to see the GFS making steps in the right direction.  Very close to something big.

The cold air source is sick. The Pacific blocking is enormous and is the key to getting opening the arctic floodgates to spill southward.

The only way temps would be even a concern is if this thing phases like crazy and pushes very far north and west, which is possible

Looks like the gfs is trying to develop something ahead of the arctic front similar to what we've seen this winter.

I mentioned before I'd watch that setup at around 108 hours...there is definitely a chance something could happen with that....the 18z NAM at 84 hours is very amped...which is typical but its very amped aside from that.

I mentioned before I'd watch that setup at around 108 hours...there is definitely a chance something could happen with that....the 18z NAM at 84 hours is very amped...which is typical but its very amped aside from that.

so we could be looking at something sneaky developing ahead of the A.F with a rain to snow scenario OTHER than the potential MECS for Wed?

Yea i was looking at that too, the problem is if that did happen it would probably change the whole setup for this storm just like it did earlier this year

At least we got something to track. I mean it is spring as of tomorrow but it just doesn't feel it ad I'm happy about that. I wish we have a cool summer with no heat waves. Regarding Sundays frontal boundary it definitely pushed north compared to the previous runs. I wonder if that goes north will our main storm mid week next week go north too? Anybody ?

Archived