• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Signs of Spring Thread

iceman56

I can't remember the snow's of April 1983......not sure if we got any or not.  In 1986 that was the wettest snow I've ever seen that stuck, and down at 300' in Red Hill PA they barely had a coating, so anywhere south/lower then there probably didn't get anything.  (at my old home at 800' we had about 6~7" of snow so wet, when you stepped in it, it all stuck to your shoe.  Perfect footprints!)  My memory kicks in right around 1984~85 as far as being more sharp in weather details.  Before that I only remember the obvious things.  (like Feb 11, 1983 lol......can't remember anything else about that winter other then that big storm and that it didn't last that long)

Off topic for this thread (what do you expect from snow lovers), but one thing I recall about that storm (Feb. 1983) was that most of the snow fell with the barometer above 30.00".

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad to say that on the bad news side as a result of the cold last night, the flowers on the (2) magnolia trees here have "bitten the dust". Anyone with knowledge about such things know if this will impact the ability to leaf out or have any other long term ramifications?

I've seen it happen enough times to know it won't impact the rest of the tree at all.  It'll just be ugly for a little while.

On the ground.  As with many spring storms, it probably depended on where the heavier bands set up to overcome the low level warmth.

Thanks for the info.  I don't think I was in a heavy band as then Red Hill just to my southeast and 600 feet lower would have had more then they did.  (basically nothing)  I did not travel (I was a kid) up to the Lehigh Valley that day, so I'm unsure if they got much on the ground either.  If they did not, then I was definitely not in a heavy band, I just got the accumulation vs. surrounding areas due to being higher/colder.  There was already 4 or so inches at 6am that morning. Then at school in Red Hill it just seemed to be snow showers, not steady.  When I got home at 3:30ish there was about 7 inches on the grass only, and that was pretty much it.  I wouldn't say any of the snow that I saw looked exceptionally heavy that day, if it was "heavy" it barely qualified.

Could possibly cut the front lawn this weekend but going to be more like half a lawn cut there. Side lawns and back lawn still at least a weak away this is the latest ever for me.

Not minding the fall like day now that we have received a decent number of outdoor days this month with little rain. Like the cutoff late next week as a means to delay heat, anything to shorten the number of hot days we get for the next five months.

Haven't been buzzed by a mosquito yet, that i welcome

I can honestly never remember a slower season to get the leaves to bloom on trees. I assume there are no records of such. In the handwritten obs for Coatesville here in Chesco I cannot find any mentions of late seasons.

A little thought though on this maybe all the salt used this winter could have caused a bit of damage maybe?

A little thought though on this maybe all the salt used this winter could have caused a bit of damage maybe?

I think he's talking about woodlands.  If a plant isn't very close to a treated roadway, effects should be negligible unless they are in a run-off path.

Up here some of the maples are just starting to bloom, but generally we still have a winter look to our forested areas. Even the forsythia hasn't fully bloomed yet. Like Paul said, I can't ever remember such a late start to the trees blooming and leafing out. Usually by May 1 we are about at 75% leaf out here.

Up here some of the maples are just starting to bloom, but generally we still have a winter look to our forested areas. Even the forsythia hasn't fully bloomed yet. Like Paul said, I can't ever remember such a late start to the trees blooming and leafing out. Usually by May 1 we are about at 75% leaf out here.

The best way is to check pictures from previous years.  If you take any.  Obviously you need to have dates on each of them. 

The best way is to check pictures from previous years.  If you take any.  Obviously you need to have dates on each of them. 

Unfortunately, I didn't take photos every spring. Wish I had. I do know that by Easter, especially when it's later in April as this one was, we had a lot of green in the trees.

I did take one this morning to show my mom how late the leaf out is this year, but I'll post it here as well. April 27th and (minus the snow) it looks more like February 27th...

post-317-0-08845600-1398603420_thumb.jpg

I can honestly never remember a slower season to get the leaves to bloom on trees. I assume there are no records of such. In the handwritten obs for Coatesville here in Chesco I cannot find any mentions of late seasons.

http://budburst.org

I don't know if they have history. It seems like a project to track leafout, flowering, etc

First partial lawn cut yesterday. Essentially cut about a third of the front lawn and the spiking onion grass on sides and back lawn. Amazing that it's almost May with such little growth

I'm not cutting mine until May.  I don't think I've ever had a first cut later then mid April before.  Another sign of spring, my car ate a bird yesterday :( 

First partial lawn cut yesterday. Essentially cut about a third of the front lawn and the spiking onion grass on sides and back lawn. Amazing that it's almost May with such little growth

Yesterday evening I did a partial cut of my lawn for the first time this season (roughly 50% of the lawn, since parts of it still weren't very long).  I did wait to do a first cut until April 30 in 2003, so this is the 2nd latest into Spring that I've done the first lawn cutting.

Archived