• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Signs of Spring Thread

iceman56

Seen some crocuses blooming in favored locations - none at my house.

Have a few daffodils poking up through a couple inches of snow in one flower bed.   Other daffodils just breaking through the soil.

***** willow bush has catkins.

Saw a very early variety of forsythia in bloom that I've seen blooming in early Feb in prior years.

That's about it so far.   Slow start and with cold dominating the rest of the month it should continue

to be so.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing. The dead, yellow grass is starting to show patchy greening. That's about it. Going to be a late blooming season probably.

Washington DC cherry blossoms still have not reached phase 1 of growth. Latest phase 1 (green color in buds) was 3/17 in 2003. After today we've passed that.

I'm on the lookout for Forsythia in a couple of weeks, seems I recall in years past when winter extended out, around here the end of March is the late date for those guys. Got some daffodils, etc. here but haven't seen any sign of them yet. I'm sure there are some plants/trees getting ready (e.g. Magnolia buds) but I'd have to look closely. Nothing that jumps out at you yet, here anyway.

Got part of the lawn cleaned up this past weekend, ready to turn green, but it looks great with snow on it for now :).

Otherwise, baseball season starts soon, tax returns, Easter?

I'm on the lookout for Forsythia in a couple of weeks, seems I recall in years past when winter extended out, around here the end of March is the late date for those guys. Got some daffodils, etc. here but haven't seen any sign of them yet. I'm sure there are some plants/trees getting ready (e.g. Magnolia buds) but I'd have to look closely. Nothing that jumps out at you yet, here anyway.

Got part of the lawn cleaned up this past weekend, ready to turn green, but it looks great with snow on it for now :).

Otherwise, baseball season starts soon, tax returns, Easter?

And...ultimately that incessant whining that it's too hot from the very same folks complaining now about the cold and snow that we've had the pleasure of experiencing this incredibly enjoyable winter!!

And...ultimately that incessant whining that it's too hot from the very same folks complaining now about the cold and snow that we've had the pleasure of experiencing this incredibly enjoyable winter!!

Well, to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of 95F and humid, not for days on end at least. I've conducted an informal poll over the years and most of the time when people say they really like it hot and humid, they have a pool, lol.

If there are any signs of spring here, they're all covered with 6 inches of snow!  

I take this back.  Maybe I can go check for signs of spring now that 6 inches of snow is no longer.  (I guess that's sort of a sign of spring in itself) 

600910c6-4ff8-4440-a707-3f2a6ef8157d.jpg

<butt-head voice>

"Hehehe, you said..."

lol.  Thought the same thing.  

Down here in the Southern Plains, spring (and signs thereof) is wayyyyyy late.  Our daffodils did bloom about two weeks ago, but they were promptly barraged with single-digit temps and thunder sleet so we got to enjoy them for about a minute.  Temps have finally moderated so we get the occasional sunny 70 F day now, but, aside from that, there are few other visible signs that it is late March rather than January.  I haven't seen any redbuds (a local sign of spring) nor any visible buds of any kind out there and even the weeds (which are typically the only green thing on anybody's lawn starting in late February until well into April) have not started to show themselves.  Point being, if the Delaware Valley is following our lead, get ready because you folks are in for a seriously late spring this year.       

Well, to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of 95F and humid, not for days on end at least. I've conducted an informal poll over the years and most of the time when people say they really like it hot and humid, they have a pool, lol.

And I'm not a huge fan of 25F and cold, not for days on end at least. Truth be known too, that while I do like it hot and humid, I do not have a pool. I just prefer being able to go outside in the same clothes I can wear indoors, meaning shorts, t-shirts and sneakers, not coats, gloves, longjohns, boots, and hats.

I'd rather have a sweaty brow than chattering teeth...

And I'm not a huge fan of 25F and cold, not for days on end at least. Truth be known too, that while I do like it hot and humid, I do not have a pool. I just prefer being able to go outside in the same clothes I can wear indoors, meaning shorts, t-shirts and sneakers, not coats, gloves, longjohns, boots, and hats.

I'd rather have a sweaty brow than chattering teeth...

Sounds like someone is ready for spring :o.

I like all the seasons. Just not into hot and humid and mosquitos, same as some are not into cold and snowy. To each his own :).

And I'm looking forward to shorts and tee shirts and sleeping with the windows open too! (after next week, that is...)

The biggest thing with treating this type of mold is making sure you get the infected area dried out. You might even try gypsum powder (the stuff dry wall is made of) to aid that process.[Turf 235 & 230 student @ psu] 

Mostly here it's in a small area (10x40ft.) where I put topsoil down and seeded in the fall. It was shaded by the house most of the winter so the snow hung on there longer. So what's the soil temperature (and duration) that grass starts growing at again? I think it's around 50F for a few days, but I don't recall for sure.

Mostly here it's in a small area (10x40ft.) where I put topsoil down and seeded in the fall. It was shaded by the house most of the winter so the snow hung on there longer. So what's the soil temperature (and duration) that grass starts growing at again? I think it's around 50F for a few days, but I don't recall for sure.

Depends on what species of grass, typically 50F I would say, ideal growing temp for cool season grasses is 55-70F

Archived