joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Signs of Spring Thread

iceman56

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I was coming down the hill from Hometown to Tamaqua after paying my car insurace bill, I couldn't help but think it looked and felt more like early November than late April. It was grey, overcast, breezy and raw with no leaves on the trees and dead leaves blowing around on the road from the breezy conditions.

Friend of mine shared this... honestly, it doesn't look much behind schedule in Ewing.  Maybe things are a little ahead in his complex due to some sort of warm microclimate, not sure.

Locally everything was about 2 weeks behind what we've been accustomed too, green out has moved forward at a much better pace this past week as its gone from a mostly brown winter look to a clearly early spring look with most of the trees blooming.

No doubt about the delay this spring, dandelions just came out a week ago & the north side of the yard is finally ready to be cut this weekend.

I95 at the Newtown exit today

post-1715-0-11701100-1398813647_thumb.jp

I can't recall still having forsythia and daffodils in full bloom on May 1.   Grass still hasn't really kicked in.

And the yellow flowers that seem to permeate the yard along the stream are still blooming - don't know what they are

called, but they often bloom in March.   Still heard peepers last night too.

Saw those yellow flowers in the swamp on the weekend i was wondering what they were.

Grass suffered the most due to long duration snow cover and was setback three weeks. Most april bloomers setback about two weeks although forsynthia is still in bloom going into May and that one would be done mid month.

Saw those yellow flowers in the swamp on the weekend i was wondering what they were.

Grass suffered the most due to long duration snow cover and was setback three weeks. Most april bloomers setback about two weeks although forsynthia is still in bloom going into May and that one would be done mid month.

The forsythia is just starting to bloom up here now.

I'll be back in a week, but I have to suspect that the last several years of warm springs may have tainted most people's perception. 

We've definitely caught up compared to where we stood a few weeks ago. The string of 70s and 80s in mid April really helped bring my area from winter landscape to early spring. But since that mid April torch, it's generally been normal to chilly until today.

I'd say we're about 5 days-1 week behind schedule now. The oak trees have just started breaking open their buds. A winter-like look to the oaks on May 1st is not typical; generally they've progressed about 30-40% in the leaf-out process by May 1st, with full leaf out occurring 10th-13th or so. Kwanzan cherries (the pink tree in your photo) have not bloomed here yet - looks like they probably will in the next couple days. So my area might be 3-5 days behind Mercer County.

Forsythia are still mostly yellow. Usually by May 1st, they're completely green/leafed out.

2003 was much later though. That spring the cherry blossoms didn't bloom until the end of April, and this spring they bloomed on the 14th-15th, right after the 82 F day.

Given the temp look of generally 68-75 degrees over the next 10 days, maybe a day in the 80s, we'll probably be full leaf-out for most tree species by May 15th, which would be a solid week behind schedule (usually by May 7th-10th for most trees).

Sounds like you are thinking of Marsh Marigolds... 

20130509Habsterwiesen_Saarbruecken13.jpg

Yup, that's the one.  In a couple weeks the entire plant will have died off and the grass (and other weeds) fill in.

I have something similar in my yard but I always thought it was Lesser Celandine. Anybody know if there's a difference or the same thing?

It's annoying to have it in the yard. Holds lots of water, clogs the mower, it just sucks.

Kwanzan cherries have boomed today with their pink flowers. Generally the first week of May is the time frame, but this is a little late for the beginning of the bloom period.

Almost every tree is budding at this point, with the oaks very early in the budding/leaf-out process. Maples have that orange color just prior to the leafing out stage.

This was April 23rd of the following views:

263hrpl.jpg

207m3i1.jpg

Updated shots from today of those same views. We've moved along to the leaf-out process, but we've still got a solid 7-10 days until full leaf out. The early flowering species like the cherry blossoms, magnolias, forsythia, and Bradford pears have of course fully leafed out at this point. The majority of the species though, maple and oak, still have some time. Usually it occurs by May 7th or so but this year will be a week late easily, probably May 15th full-leaf for most trees.

2upzhhj.jpg

2w4mwcg.jpg

Kwanzan cherries are full bloom and look great. Backdrop is the fully leafed out Bradford pears. You can see the bare trees in the far back.

eqy2w4.jpg

This was April 23rd of the following views:

263hrpl.jpg

207m3i1.jpg

Updated shots from today of those same views. We've moved along to the leaf-out process, but we've still got a solid 7-10 days until full leaf out. The early flowering species like the cherry blossoms, magnolias, forsythia, and Bradford pears have of course fully leafed out at this point. The majority of the species though, maple and oak, still have some time. Usually it occurs by May 7th or so but this year will be a week late easily, probably May 15th full-leaf for most trees.

2upzhhj.jpg

2w4mwcg.jpg

Kwanzan cherries are full bloom and look great. Backdrop is the fully leafed out Bradford pears. You can see the bare trees in the far back.

eqy2w4.jpg

My Bradford pears are still in flower with very small leaves here in NW Chesco.

Overall it looks pretty similar to last year here, maybe 3-6 days later than last year. 

I hate to boost your ego, but the more I look at the landscape, the more I agree with you about this year being pretty close to normal at this point, maybe 3-4 days behind schedule.

Trees are mostly leafed-out, with full leaf out probably complete by May 15th after this heat spell.

208xobt.jpg

Archived