wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Southern Ontario Weather Discussion

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The RGEM remains inconsistent as with the NAM. Latest run trends even drier than previous runs, and is now the driest among all the models. Went from 10-15mm to 7.5-10mm on the latest run per meteomaps scale.

GFS remains consistent. 12z Euro will be interesting.

Todays weather is probably going to upset people even more. Its currently 9C here and sunny. Grass is showing all over place and people have ditched the winter jackets. Even if we only see 10-20cm of snow its pretty good for mid march. 

Today's afternoon high: 12

Tomorrow's afternoon "high": -7

Lol. People are going to be so confused.

Should be able to cash in on some good ratios in the latter half of the storm.

12Z Euro text for YYZ:

ECMWF Deterministic FORECAST FOR: YYZ    LAT=  43.67 LON=  -79.63 ELE=   568

12Z MAR11
                 2 M     850     SFC     SFC     700    6 HR     500    1000
                 TMP     TMP     PRS     RHU     RHU     QPF     HGT     500
                 ©     ©    (MB)    (PCT)   (PCT)   (IN)    (DM)     THK

WED 06Z 12-MAR  -0.2    -2.5    1006      85      92    0.00     543     537    
WED 12Z 12-MAR  -1.1    -6.3    1004      92      97    0.02     538     535    
WED 18Z 12-MAR  -4.6    -9.7    1001      83      99    0.34     531     530    
THU 00Z 13-MAR  -9.4   -15.7    1006      71      95    0.24     522     518
THU 06Z 13-MAR -15.1   -17.6    1010      70      20    0.01     515     508

Depending on the technique...18z NAM showing about 8-10" for YYZ. Obviously nothing close to what it was indicating yesterday but in the midst of that disappointment it may get lost that this should still be a very nice storm for us. Could put this winter in "A" territory for those of us who have currently assigned 13-14 a B.

Depending on the technique...18z NAM showing about 8-10" for YYZ. Obviously nothing close to what it was indicating yesterday but in the midst of that disappointment it may get lost that this should still be a very nice storm for us. Could put this winter in "A" territory for those of us who have currently assigned 13-14 a B.

I may as well make a final call. I'll go with 6-8".

With the blowing and drifting, this is going to be a pretty awesome storm if it pans out like the NAM/GFS and euro are showing. HRRR gets the party started around 5am as that fronto band begins to shift north.

With the blowing and drifting, this is going to be a pretty awesome storm if it pans out like the NAM/GFS and euro are showing. HRRR gets the party started around 5am as that fronto band begins to shift north.

Updated 18z NAM cobb has 9.7" of snow for the GTA... for those who missed it. Mean ratio is 15:1.

Do you believe the GFS and NAM over the Canadian RGEM? Is EC being too conservative, in your opinion?

Updated 18z NAM cobb has 9.7" of snow for the GTA... for those who missed it. Mean ratio is 15:1.

December 14th...EC with the heaviest snow south of us. No watch, no initial warning, but with a mid-event upgrade.

Feb 5th..............EC with the heaviest snow south of us. No watch, no initial warning, but with a mid-event upgrade.

March 12th....EC with the heaviest snow south of us. No watch, no initial warning.....TO BE DETERMINED.

December 14th...EC with the heaviest snow south of us. No watch, no initial warning, but with a mid-event upgrade.

Feb 5th..............EC with the heaviest snow south of us. No watch, no initial warning, but with a mid-event upgrade.

March 12th....EC with the heaviest snow south of us. No watch, no initial warning.....TO BE DETERMINED.

I think I know how this is gonna go... especially considering the fact that these fronto bands like to end up a bit further north in the end when a system coming out of the southern branch has intense WAA out ahead of it (e.g feb 5th). Hard to go against the euro/NAM/GFS consensus which essentially have the same amounts in the QPF department. Also nice to see consistency regarding ratios on the GFS and NAM cobb.

They've failed numerous times this season already and if this one fails as well, EC will lose all its remaining credibility. A special weather statement is never really distributed properly through out the media and is usually taken lightly by the public. Weather advisories like the USA sets up would be an improvement IMO. The one storm I will give them credit for is the Ice Storm. Lets see! 

I think I know how this is gonna go... especially considering the fact that these fronto bands like to end up a bit further north in the end when a system coming out of the southern branch has intense WAA out ahead of it (e.g feb 5th). Hard to go against the euro/NAM/GFS consensus which essentially have the same amounts in the QPF department. Also nice to see consistency regarding ratios on the GFS and NAM cobb.

Great model consistency among the top models in terms of QPF. Lets see how this storm plays out tomorrow. Ratios should be good as temperatures look to be falling through out the day tomorrow. Feb 5th was a nice set-up for areas north of the 401 thanks to the defo. bands. 

Whats your initial thoughts? 

They've failed numerous times this season already and if this one fails as well, EC will lose all its remaining credibility. A special weather statement is never really distributed properly through out the media and is usually taken lightly by the public. Weather advisories like the USA sets up would be an improvement IMO. The one storm I will give them credit for is the Ice Storm. Lets see! 

In terms of the public, they manage to get away with these conservative calls w/o losing much credibility because most people just don't know the difference between 10 and 20cm on the ground and don't take the time to measure. We also hear the YYZ storm total post storm, which ends up way lower then man measured spots and acts as a validator of sorts for the conservative calls. 

Great model consistency among the top models in terms of QPF. Lets see how this storm plays out tomorrow. Ratios should be good as temperatures look to be falling through out the day tomorrow. Feb 5th was a nice set-up for areas north of the 401 thanks to the defo. bands. 

Whats your initial thoughts? 

I have thrown the 15-25cm range out on twitter and think that's a good call at this point. 

In terms of the public, they manage to get away with these conservative calls w/o losing much credibility because most people just don't know the difference between 10 and 20cm on the ground and don't take the time to measure. We also hear the YYZ storm total post storm, which ends up way lower then man measured spots and acts as a validator of sorts for the conservative calls. 

This is an excellent point. Often I think EC is basing their snowfall projections based on the nipher. lol

In terms of the public, they manage to get away with these conservative calls w/o losing much credibility because most people just don't know the difference between 10 and 20cm on the ground and don't take the time to measure.  We also hear the YYZ storm total post storm, which ends up way lower then man measured spots and acts as a validator of sorts for the conservative calls. 

:lmao:

Great points. That could also be the reason why they haven't changed the Nipher yet  :rolleyes:. The Nipher does the dirty work for their conservative calls haha. Can't blame EC though! The budget cuts really hurt them. I hope the Government provides better funding for them. OT but given your profile name, did you experience the blizzard of 96 first hand? Lol. 

I have thrown the 15-25cm range out on twitter and think that's a good call at this point. 

Awesome! I'm currently going for 15-20cm in the GTA with amounts closer to 25cm, locally 30cm around Hamilton and the Niagara region. 

:lmao:

Great points. That could also be the reason why they haven't changed the Nipher yet  :rolleyes:. The Nipher does the dirty work for their conservative calls haha. Can't blame EC though! The budget cuts really hurt them. I hope the Government provides better funding for them. OT but given your profile name, did you experience the blizzard of 96 first hand? Lol. 

Awesome! I'm currently going for 15-20cm in the GTA with amounts closer to 25cm, locally 30cm around Hamilton and the Niagara region. 

Nope... I usually watch the old blizzard coverage on youtube in summer/fall when winters almost ready to return. Sort of a tradition of mine... silly reason but that's the name I decided to go with.

They just issued a blizzard warning for all of WNY.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY
824 PM EDT TUE MAR 11 2014

NYZ001-002-010-011-085-120830-
/O.CAN.KBUF.WS.W.0006.140312T0600Z-140313T0600Z/
/O.NEW.KBUF.BZ.W.0002.140312T0600Z-140313T0600Z/
NIAGARA-ORLEANS-NORTHERN ERIE-GENESEE-SOUTHERN ERIE-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NIAGARA FALLS...MEDINA...BUFFALO...
BATAVIA...ORCHARD PARK...SPRINGVILLE
824 PM EDT TUE MAR 11 2014

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM WEDNESDAY TO 2 AM EDT
THURSDAY...
...WINTER STORM WARNING IS CANCELLED...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD
WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM WEDNESDAY TO 2 AM EDT
THURSDAY. THE WINTER STORM WARNING HAS BEEN CANCELLED.

* LOCATIONS...THE NIAGARA FRONTIER.

* TIMING...SNOWFALL WILL BEGIN OVERNIGHT TONIGHT AND CONTINUE
THROUGH OVERNIGHT WEDNESDAY NIGHT...HOWEVER THE HIGHEST THREAT
FOR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WILL EXIST FROM LATE MORNING ON
WEDNESDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING.

* HAZARDS...HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW RESULTING IN PERIODS OF
WHITEOUT CONDITIONS ALONG WITH SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND DRIFTING
OF SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...AN INCH OR LESS OVERNIGHT...6 TO 11 INCHES
WEDNESDAY...AND 3 TO 6 INCHES WEDNESDAY NIGHT...LEADING TO
STORM TOTALS OF 9 TO 17 INCHES.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 45 MPH AT TIMES.

* VISIBILITIES...NEAR ZERO AT TIMES FROM LATE WEDNESDAY MORNING
INTO WEDNESDAY EVENING.

* IMPACTS...CONDITIONS WILL RAPIDLY DETERIORATE WEDNESDAY
MORNING...WITH RELATIVELY LIGHT SNOW BECOMING HEAVY BY LATE
MORNING. THE COMBINATION OF HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW WILL
MAKE TRAVEL EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE WEDNESDAY
AFTERNOON INTO WEDNESDAY EVENING. VISIBILITY WILL REDUCED TO
NEAR ZERO AT TIMES WITH DEEP SNOW COVER ON ROADWAYS DURING THE
PEAK OF THE STORM ALONG WITH SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF
SNOW.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A BLIZZARD WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE
EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW WITH STRONG WINDS
AND POOR VISIBILITIES ARE LIKELY. THIS WILL LEAD TO WHITEOUT
CONDITIONS...MAKING TRAVEL EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. DO NOT TRAVEL. IF
YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST TRAVEL...HAVE A WINTER SURVIVAL KIT WITH YOU.
IF YOU GET STRANDED...STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE.

IF YOU LOSE POWER AND PLAN ON RUNNING A GENERATOR...MAKE SURE
THAT THE GENERATOR IS LOCATED OUTDOORS AND IS PROPERLY
VENTILATED. SPACE HEATERS SHOULD ALSO BE PROPERLY VENTILATED AND
USED ONLY IF THEY ARE OPERATING PROPERLY. MAKE SURE SNOW DOES NOT
BLOCK EXHAUSTS AND FRESH AIR INTAKES FOR HIGH EFFICIENCY FURNACES
AND WATER HEATERS.

STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO OR YOUR FAVORITE SOURCE OF
WEATHER INFORMATION FOR THE LATEST UPDATES. ADDITIONAL DETAILS
CAN ALSO BE FOUND AT WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BUFFALO.

REPORT SNOW ACCUMULATION TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN
BUFFALO BY SENDING AN EMAIL TO [email protected]
TO THE NWS BUFFALO FACEBOOK PAGE...OR TWEET...USING THE HASHTAG
BUFWX

&&

If we received 5-10 cm i would've have maintained my A- for this winter in end.

If we receive over 15 cm surely that would make this winter an A,  eh?

Get to do some heavy radar watching tomorrow regardless. Good times.

Do you think that is a realistic outcome? Often, as we know, the NAM overdoes things, but, then again, it has usually toned things down by this time.

Going to come down to nowcasting. It is a good sign as it did add ~0.1" of QPF compared to 18z, even with some initilization error.

Archived