Newest Member
    joxey
Southern Ontario Weather Discussion

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the streak is going to end.

Same! Its expected to be warmer tomorrow than today, which should eliminate all thats left from todays melt. If we can somehow keep 1cm on the ground, Weds snow should provide a helping hand. Lets see!

Its 91 days today.

Oh man bro, you should have seen this one guy. He was wearing a ****ing tank top -_-

Same! Its expected to be warmer tomorrow than today, which should eliminate all thats left from todays melt. If we can somehow keep 1cm on the ground, Weds snow should provide a helping hand. Lets see!

Its 91 days today.

Oh man bro, you should have seen this one guy. He was wearing a ****ing tank top -_-

Guy here in Edmonton I know wears a wife-beater in -25c weather. lol

Official snow depth is measured each day at principal weather stations (eg. YYZ) at 7 am local time. So if the current snow on the ground at Pearson melts to a trace sometime after 7 am tomorrow, the streak can remain intact if new snow (at least 1 cm) falls before 7 am Wednesday.

Official snow depth is measured each day at principal weather stations (eg. YYZ) at 7 am local time. So if the current snow on the ground at Pearson melts to a trace sometime after 7 am tomorrow, the streak can remain intact if new snow (at least 1 cm) falls before 7 am Wednesday.

Yeah, that's true. NAM brings the snow in around 9z on Wednesday. Kind of a BS loophole but whatever works.

Yeah, that's true. NAM brings the snow in around 9z on Wednesday. Kind of a BS loophole but whatever works.

haha I'll take it for the record books.

Lots of melting of there today, was kind of hoping for a big rain to wash it all away at once but that's only because I'm a flood weenie.

Some lol-worthy solutions being spit out but the take-home message is that this system is going to be a decent hit for us.

If the 00Z Euro jumps on board tonight, then I'll really let my weenie fly. 12Z Euro run may have been under-doing moisture transport and even without a big north jump I think we're still going to see better QPF than what it put out.

haha I'll take it for the record books.

Lots of melting of there today, was kind of hoping for a big rain to wash it all away at once but that's only because I'm a flood weenie.

Despite + snow departures hasn't been a particularly wet winter. Since Jan 1...I believe YYZ is only a bit north of 100mm for the season.

Despite + snow departures hasn't been a particularly wet winter. Since Jan 1...I believe YYZ is only a bit north of 100mm for the season.

True but the combination of deep frozen ground, thick river ice and the heavy, dense snowpack lasting into March was a pretty good flood set up. Even in years where we have had more snow, it usually doesn't make it all the way until spring. So even though precipitation was lower overall I think the potential amount of water that could have been released into streams with a big, warm, rainy system was actually higher than most years.

We just needed a quick flip to spring to make things interesting but the grip of winter has prevented that and allowed for a slower melt of the snowpack.

That being said the addition of new snow on Wednesday plus potential wintry systems afterwards keeps the spring flood potential interesting.

True but the combination of deep frozen ground, thick river ice and the heavy, dense snowpack lasting into March was a pretty good flood set up. Even in years where we have had more snow, it usually doesn't make it all the way until spring. So even though precipitation was lower overall I think the potential amount of water that could have been released into streams with a big, warm, rainy system was actually higher than most years.

We just needed a quick flip to spring to make things interesting but the grip of winter has prevented that and allowed for a slower melt of the snowpack.

That being said the addition of new snow on Wednesday plus potential wintry systems afterwards keeps the spring flood potential interesting.

Glad you're interested. :) You work for the Conservation Authority?

Glad you're interested. :) You work for the Conservation Authority?

Graduated about a year and a half ago, now working in groundwater protection for a certain regional government in the GTA. Am hoping to work for a Conservation Authority as a future career goal.

These weenie runs are getting me a little too excited. Gets the heart-rate going a bit haha. Obviously it's just a model run but even half those amounts would have serious impacts.

People going to be caught off guard yet another time this winter in the city. Hearing radio/news offices calling or 5-10 or 10-15cm when it's looking pretty likely that we see 15-30cm IMO with white out conditions given the wind.

TWN being generous with 10-15cm in their local forecasts, lol.

My preliminary call is around 15-20cm.

Archived