Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Southern Ontario Weather Discussion

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

twitter could be such a useful tool for reporting wx observations in storms like this but as it is 95% of the tweets are pure garbage.

EC actually spends time looking at tweets during storm events, they've been advertising #onstorm to multiple media outlets. However, they admittedly take them with a grain of salt, but it gives them a good idea of what's going on and what to look into further.

It's a shame that most people in the population aren't weather nuts who run around their front yards with rulers and measuring tapes. WHAT'S WRONG WITH THEM?

EC actually spends time looking at tweets during storm events, they've been advertising #onstorm to multiple media outlets. However, they admittedly take them with a grain of salt, but it gives them a good idea of what's going on and what to look into further.

It's a shame that most people in the population aren't weather nuts who run around their front yards with rulers and measuring tapes. WHAT'S WRONG WITH THEM?

My complaint has more to do with the tweets about hating winter and wishing it was spring. If the #onstorm hashtag was meant for legit. wx obs reporting those tweets are essentially useless. I'm not a complete fuddy duddy, but when it's a majority "mother nature you're drunk" tweets it gets a bit annoying.

My complaint has more to do with the tweets about hating winter and wishing it was spring. If the #onstorm hashtag was meant for legit. wx obs reporting those tweets are essentially useless. I'm not a complete fuddy duddy, but when it's a majority "mother nature you're drunk" tweets it gets a bit annoying.

Of course. I love the native Torontonians who still don't understand their own wx. I'm sure some of them have been saying "what is going on with the weather??" for YEARS

I don't get it. The Oak Ridges. It's beautiful in the fall. Great golfing. Maybe you guys are more for city living.

I haven't been there as I thought you were being sarcastic by adding the 'beautiful' in there. 

No. No. I am opposite of city boy ... I would rather live in a barn then in a city!!!

So far 7cm for Snowstorms. Can anyone else report in? I'm guessing somewhat less downtown due to the bit of rain at first.

Have 1.5 cm here at Christie Pits. Been up since 6 am and have had only light snow here. No moderate or heavy bands yet.

Really? Wow, you are killing it. Only around 5cm here so far (eyeball measurement).

680 News/Harold Hosein still calling for 10-15cm (4-6").

Great to see Harold Hosein still doing the weather today. He came to Canada in the late 1960s and started working at Environment Canada for about 20 years until 1988-89. After that, he moved to City TV and he was one of the top TV forecasters (along with Dave Devall of CFTO/CTV) for Torontonians in the 90s and early 2000s. He was let go in June 2006 and replaced by Michael Kuss (who's now at CTV Vancouver) and eventually Natasha Ramsahai/Adam Stiles.

Currently about 3 cm on the ground downtown.

Archived