Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Southern Ontario Weather Discussion

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12Z Canadian has this tapering off a couple hours earlier than its 00Z run, but more intensity.

I think 5-7" is going to be the total for the GTA by the end of this. However, sometimes some surprise bands can keep the event going longer with the back edge, which could make 8" reachable for some lucky people.

Overall, EC will probably be a bit lower than reality but nothing terrible. My biggest issue would be the lack of WSW or at least BLSW... driving conditions are much worse than a SWS might indicate.

Snow really blowing down now, winds have been the best part of this so far. This must be a nightmare to drive in.

Must be even worse out in exposed areas. I'm surprised there is not a blowing snow warning to highlight the dangers today. Especially considering this winters history of major pile-ups and mass rescue operations almost every snowfall or windy day..

12Z Canadian has this tapering off a couple hours earlier than its 00Z run, but more intensity.

I think 5-7" is going to be the total for the GTA by the end of this. However, sometimes some surprise bands can keep the event going longer with the back edge, which could make 8" reachable for some lucky people.

Overall, EC will probably be a bit lower than reality but nothing terrible. My biggest issue would be the lack of WSW or at least BLSW... driving conditions are much worse than a SWS might indicate.

2.5"-5" already down that means additional accums of only around 2.5". Think that's too conservative but we'll see. Death band from Cambridge to Oakville now. Let's see if it come work its way northward.

2.5"-5" already down that means additional accums of only around 2.5". Think that's too conservative but we'll see. Death band from Cambridge to Oakville now. Let's see if it come work its way northward.

I seem to have the highest downtown total right now with 2.5" exactly as of 10 minutes ago. Rates have been 1 cm/hr for the better part of this morning. Buddy up at York said he doesn't think there is 10 cm quite yet, more like 8 or 9. Sounded like eyeballing, though.

Assuming most areas get about 10 cm more between now and 7 pm, 5-7" seems reasonable. This is my call for only the GTA, though. 

I seem to have the highest downtown total right now with 2.5" exactly as of 10 minutes ago. Rates have been 1 cm/hr for the better part of this morning. Buddy up at York said he doesn't think there is 10 cm quite yet, more like 8 or 9. Sounded like eyeballing, though.

Assuming most areas get about 10 cm more between now and 7 pm, 5-7" seems reasonable. This is my call for only the GTA, though. 

So you've halved your 10-13" call :(

Nipher reporting 6cm thus far so that 8-9cm report sounds accurate.

So you've halved your 10-13" call :(

Nipher reporting 6cm thus far so that 8-9cm report sounds accurate.

Snowstorms should be good for the 10-13" it sounds like

Definitely not happening downtown. Flake size wasn't big enough this morning and system is moving quite quickly. It'll all come down to how quickly the back edge moves through.

Snowstorms should be good for the 10-13" it sounds like

Definitely not happening downtown. Flake size wasn't big enough this morning and system is moving quite quickly. It'll all come down to how quickly the back edge moves through.

6-10" still feels good to me. Although 10" might end up being tougher should still get into that range.

EC just updated the wx statement for 'near snowfall warning criteria' and 'blizzard conditions'....

No warnings? What a joke. We'll hit warning criteria snow here in less than an hour, and there's at least 3-4 hrs of heavy-moderate snow to go.

Mentioning blizzard conditions in a special weather statement.... I have no words. Surely this would indicate a WSW should be issued.

No warnings? What a joke. We'll hit warning criteria snow here in less than an hour, and there's at least 3-4 hrs of heavy-moderate snow to go.

Mentioning blizzard conditions in a special weather statement.... I have no words. Surely this would indicate a WSW should be issued.

I thought they'd do what's right and go with a warning but I guess they don't want to eat sh*t a third time this winter. The winter of 13-14 can't end soon enough for EC.

Nice vid btw.

Chris Scott says Hamilton has hit official blizzard conditions of 4 hr-400m-40kmh

Also

Still confused as to why no weather warnings were issued for parts of S. ON inc. GTA?? Blizzard conditions hitting some #YHM #citystorm

Edit, Anthony Farnell now forecasting up to 20cm for GTA. And now a pile-up on the 401 closing all lanes at Drumbo rd

I thought they'd do what's right and go with a warning but I guess they don't want to eat sh*t a third time this winter. The winter of 13-14 can't end soon enough for EC.

Nice vid btw.

Thanks, it's kept up like that since I grabbed the video.

I won't rip on EC anymore, as it's painfully obvious now how much they've dropped the ball today... but wow with blizzard conditions officially met, they should do something. For the safety of the public!

Archived