Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could it be too much rain...

Seeing a lot of trees with browning/curling/dropping leaves in the area?

Fungus?

We have a tree here that's been dropping a lot of leaves, it did the same thing last year, but last spring was wet here also. While I imagine the dampness is probably great for fungi, I don't know that it's the cause of it, at least not for the tree here.

Could it be too much rain...

Seeing a lot of trees with browning/curling/dropping leaves in the area?

Fungus?

Yup there is a fungus amungus

The plentiful boulders that dot the local area are turning green from these last two wet years. Kinda looks like that old Stephen King short flick from the 80's with the spreading green algae monster

We have a tree here that's been dropping a lot of leaves, it did the same thing last year, but last spring was wet here also. While I imagine the dampness is probably great for fungi, I don't know that it's the cause of it, at least not for the tree here.

Black walnuts here are starting to shed leaves a bit early. They usually shed around July when its hot but sometimes shed during growth spurts such as now if not mistaking

Is it an Ash? All the Ash here are quickly going extinct from the borer which tunnels under the bark and kills them in short order.

Is it an Ash? All the Ash here are quickly going extinct from the borer which tunnels under the bark and kills them in short order.

It's a wild black cherry, it's been around for a while, and is pretty tall. The front yard looks like fall from the yellow leaves that blew off in the northeast breeze today. I had a tree guy here yesterday about a fungus on some dogwood trees, and he said the black cherry has a fungus but not to worry about it, maybe because of the age and size of the tree. I am a little concerned though, there's still a lot of yellow leaves up there. Hope there's some left for the summer.

Funny you mentioned ash, there is a large ash tree out front (the trunk is about 36" in diameter), and this guy told me about the borer you mentioned, he said once it gets to a tree it's pretty much done. It's not prevalent around here (in Delco), but it's coming apparently. There's a couple methods for protecting a tree from it, I don't know yet what the cost would be.

Black walnuts here are starting to shed leaves a bit early. They usually shed around July when its hot but sometimes shed during growth spurts such as now if not mistaking

I know what you're talking about, so far here no shedding though.

More along the lines of winter results, a small Fig tree here bit the dust, and the butterfly bushes seem to have taken a beating. There is one out of 3 that finally has some growth.

It's a wild black cherry, it's been around for a while, and is pretty tall. The front yard looks like fall from the yellow leaves that blew off in the northeast breeze today. I had a tree guy here yesterday about a fungus on some dogwood trees, and he said the black cherry has a fungus but not to worry about it, maybe because of the age and size of the tree. I am a little concerned though, there's still a lot of yellow leaves up there. Hope there's some left for the summer.

Funny you mentioned ash, there is a large ash tree out front (the trunk is about 36" in diameter), and this guy told me about the borer you mentioned, he said once it gets to a tree it's pretty much done. It's not prevalent around here (in Delco), but it's coming apparently. There's a couple methods for protecting a tree from it, I don't know yet what the cost would be.

There must be 50 or more Ash on this property and i have lost a dozen or so already since i moved here six years ago. Had a 4' diameter big boy drop in the driveway turn around several years ago where a family member had their SUV parked only a half hour earlier. Came down after one of our brief torrential downpours and would have flattened that hummer like a coke can

There must be 50 or more Ash on this property and i have lost a dozen or so already since i moved here six years ago. Had a 4' diameter big boy drop in the driveway turn around several years ago where a family member had their SUV parked only a half hour earlier. Came down after one of our brief torrential downpours and would have flattened that hummer like a coke can

Yikes - I'm guessing it didn't get too close to the house?

Where I am in NJ, the ash trees are losing leaves from Ash Orange Rust. 

The White ash is a beautiful tree.  This is a clump from late September 2010, after a hot, hot summer.  They still look good this Spring, but it is sad to wait for the beetle.

These are located in Princeton Institute (for Advanced Study) Land.

attachicon.gifwhite Ash Princeton 9-2010.jpg

Nice pic! Nice day too, looks like low humidity.

1.46" since midnight here in NW Chesco. The yard and gardens are back to water running

everywhere - any minimal drying that has occurred this spring is now reversed. I broke

down and bought a few vegetables to put in the garden and they still sit in pots - no way

I can till anything - probably just toss 'em. So sick of the rain...

1.46" since midnight here in NW Chesco. The yard and gardens are back to water running

everywhere - any minimal drying that has occurred this spring is now reversed. I broke

down and bought a few vegetables to put in the garden and they still sit in pots - no way

I can till anything - probably just toss 'em. So sick of the rain...

yeah utterly rotten week of weather for mid june, not too often in a summer month the grass and landscape stay visibly wet for five days straight the cloud cover sealed it all in. I have some late planted corn that is coming up through algae, had the seed bed watered moist for a week before this weeks soggy hit. i wouldn't care if it didn't rain for three weeks after this

You can try putting those plants in without tilling, scatter some fertilizer and loosely rake it in the top inch of soil and weed. Experimenting with a bit of no till myself this year

*** the sun just appeared for first time since monday

*** 50% of cukes wilted overnight that was a foregone conclusion from the dampness ugh

Nice pic! Nice day too, looks like low humidity.

Thanks for the comment.  Eastern trees are beautiful.  

I just checked the date - Sept 19th, and the humidity was low - DP in the mid 50's, but temps in mid 80s -

What I remember about 2010 was a summer that began too early, and plenty of 90+ days.  The old weather site had lots of pix showing stressed out trees everywhere.  The ash trees are usually greener than this in Sept. The corn there had few good ears.

It all came between two snowy winters.  

Archived