• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh/Western PA Weather II

Well Henry M busted hard with his latest storm. Not surprised he hasnt been great this year, not that he ever is. Whatever he says go with the opposite and you should be alright.

He busted ? what happens to that vigorous little Low that just gave San Fran some rain ? it just disappears down in the Gulf Right??

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He busted ? what happens to that vigorous little Low that just gave San Fran some rain ? it just disappears down in the Gulf Right??

im talking about his big daddy prediction. There will be snow but this is not trending NW to were even the east coast sees a foot.

So lets see latest Euro fwiw, valentines storm is supressed. Thats not a bad thing seeing as every storm trended nw. Then theres a storm after that except its the dreaded GLC. The usual places NW Ohio into NW Pa see a lot of snow. What does it take for a big storm to dump a lot of snow here.

I hope I am wrong but the V-day storm is looking bad. Also they are predicting a warm up after. So our chances for a big storm are dwindling. Ehh it was a good run this year. I expect another 10 inches through various clippers and small storms before the winter is over. So well above normal, I think if this vday storm doesn't pan out Im gonna stop obsessing over the models.

Special Weather Statement

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA

1117 AM EST SUN FEB 9 2014

PAZ007-008-013-014-020-021-029-031-WVZ021-022-091830-

MERCER-VENANGO-LAWRENCE-BUTLER-BEAVER-ALLEGHENY-WASHINGTON-GREENE-

MARION-MONONGALIA-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...GROVE CITY...FRANKLIN...NEW CASTLE...

BUTLER...BEAVER...PITTSBURGH METRO AREA...WASHINGTON...

WAYNESBURG...FAIRMONT...MORGANTOWN

1117 AM EST SUN FEB 9 2014

ROADS MAY QUICKLY BECOME SNOW-COVERED WITH VISIBILITIES REDUCED

TO LESS THAN A MILE AT TIMES AS A BAND OR MORE INTENSE SNOW PASSES

THROUGH THE AREA. SNOW WILL DECREASE IN INTENSITY BETWEEN NOON AND

1230 PM...BUT AN ADDITIONAL PERIOD OF MORE INTENSE SNOW CAN BE

EXPECTED MID AFTERNOON. USE EXTRA CAUTION WHEN TRAVELING TODAY AND

ALLOW FOR EXTRA TIME.

$$

Still snowing nicely, going out to get a measurement soon. :snowing:

Looks like models are starting to key in on a storm for Wednesday night into Thursday. Right now its going up the coast, so we are out of the picture for now. Gotta slow that kicker down or weaken it or just get rid of it all together and things might shift West enough for us to see some more snow. <weenie> Or maybe it could speed up enough and phase with the whole storm and create a huge inland runner! </weenie>

Snowing decently down here, closing in on 2" for this "non-event."  It's a shame what was modeled a week ago couldn't pan out.

System later this week looks like a dud for us, anyway.  We really would need the low over the Lakes to speed up and let the two streams phase to bring the whole system West.  I'm not sure what other solution would bring the coastal low further inland.  Maybe some better SE ridging, but right now I don't see that.

This doesn't look like a true Miller A system (at least not in how I think of them).  Of course with no blocking to the north, this thing would just fly through.

Much prefer someone overly cautios to the idiots that still think they can drive 50-60 mph in the snow.

Coming down 30 the passing Lane was better then the slow lane so the folks who are scared got in the passing lane and went 10 MPH or 20 hitting/riding their brakes.

Coming down 30 the passing Lane was better then the slow lane so the folks who are scared got in the passing lane and went 10 MPH or 20 hitting/riding their brakes.

Down the mountains? Yeah, you probably shouldn't be going more than 30 mph anyways down that hill in snow. Anything else, on a grade that steep is too fast.

Still time for the trend for us wednesday. I dont expect the models to know whats going on till this is sampled but its on the table. Just need a little luck or else we get fringed again. Someone tell mother nature to knock it off. Im ready to hit the links.

Yeah, I'm not confident one way or another right now. This weekend if you remember was modeled with pretty strong consistency between models and ensembles then it just went poof, so things could easily trend West or East at this point. I guess I would favor a more progressive solution given seasonal trend, but sooner or later if you keep rolling the dice you might get lucky.

Archived