Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh/Western PA Weather II

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess is that we should have a good handle on this storm by the 0z runs tonight.  Northern shortwave should then be over land.  I am pulling for you guys!  In this type of pattern, I would look for the 500 hPa trough to go neutral tilt over the AR/MS area, then go noticeably negative over AL/GA.  If these things don't happen over these areas, I'm afraid the system will be too far east for PIT.

The funny thing about PIT is that big snow is usually not that far away.  Even places as close as Youngstown seem to do quite well  in those common wintry mix-type storms in the PIT metro area, and then the mountains to the east are closer to the storm track + have elevation during the East Coast storms.

My guess is that we should have a good handle on this storm by the 0z runs tonight.  Northern shortwave should then be over land.  I am pulling for you guys!  In this type of pattern, I would look for the 500 hPa trough to go neutral tilt over the AR/MS area, then go noticeably negative over AL/GA.  If these things don't happen over these areas, I'm afraid the system will be too far east for PIT.

The funny thing about PIT is that big snow is usually not that far away.  Even places as close as Youngstown seem to do quite well  in those common wintry mix-type storms in the PIT metro area, and then the mountains to the east are closer to the storm track + have elevation during the East Coast storms.

Oh its not funny... we are well aware of our areas inability to get area wide 6+ inch snows.....  :) Thanks for your input it is appreciated.

Joe Bastardi @BigJoeBastardi

Heh @accuElliot Remember March 94 storm I drove you into work in my jeep. Check out map vs new JMA #whiteknucklespic.twitter.com/4CJJtTIOGe

x7E0505.jpg

LMAO when I worked at AccuWeather I heard about that drive. There was over a foot of snow on our main streets here and JB gave Elliot a ride in his Jeep Cherokee and they were sliding all over the place. People here have told me that storm was worst than the Superstorm.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I always enjoyed your input from the earlier days when you were living in our area. Thanks again.  :)

Euro, JMA and CMC give some reason for hope. I worry that the Euro being the Western outlier will correct east some, if that happens we will probably get cloudy skies while watching blizzard conditions and talk of crippling snow storms on the nightly news for the east coast. At this point if we cold squeeze 4-6 out of this I'd count that as a win.

That shortwave actually looks stronger in the Midwest, and it hurts our chances of the main low coming any further West.  It's a matter of really bad timing for our area; if that kicker wasn't there, we would probably be in a prime position.  Some models do look west, I'm just not sure if it can come any further west.  Also that shortwave results in a very sharp cutoff of precip as you can see on the models (the NW-side of the big low is just sheared off).  Again without that shortwave in the midwest, we might have a more expansive precip shield and a better chance at something.

That storm last Monday corrected north pretty severely in the last 36 hours, so I'd say there's still a chance, albeit a very small one.  Anyone up for a road trip to Philly Wednesday? :sled:

That shortwave actually looks stronger in the Midwest, and it hurts our chances of the main low coming any further West.  It's a matter of really bad timing for our area; if that kicker wasn't there, we would probably be in a prime position.  Some models do look west, I'm just not sure if it can come any further west.  Also that shortwave results in a very sharp cutoff of precip as you can see on the models (the NW-side of the big low is just sheared off).  Again without that shortwave in the midwest, we might have a more expansive precip shield and a better chance at something.

That storm last Monday corrected north pretty severely in the last 36 hours, so I'd say there's still a chance, albeit a very small one.  Anyone up for a road trip to Philly Wednesday? :sled:

From the ALY AFD

"AND WOULD NOT BE THE LEAST BIT SURPRISED TO

SEE MODEL TRENDS FARTHER N AND W OVER THE NEXT 24-36 HOURS."

From the ALY AFD

"AND WOULD NOT BE THE LEAST BIT SURPRISED TO

SEE MODEL TRENDS FARTHER N AND W OVER THE NEXT 24-36 HOURS."

I don't think you can just take the western most solution ie the Euro, and say they expect it to go West. Pretty certain if the Euro is onto something you will see all the other models that are SE trend West. Not saying it can't happen or won't I just don't think its fair to take that statement and say its coming West of the 12z Euro.

As mentioned in other posts, not sure how much opportunity there is for this to come NW. If it can close off even sooner at 500 like the Euro and we slow / weaken that GL low I think all bets are off, just not confident it will happen. We always see the NW trend, but that seems to be more with systems on a more East to West trajectory that we want to see go underneath us, or moving up west of the Apps.

So... if we find the center of ciruclation of the system that will ultimately become that GL low, and drop a nuclear bomb in it do you think that will disrupt it enough or create enough chaos to tip the tables in our favor? :devilsmiley::stun::rolleyes:

I don't think you can just take the western most solution ie the Euro, and say they expect it to go West. Pretty certain if the Euro is onto something you will see all the other models that are SE trend West. Not saying it can't happen or won't I just don't think its fair to take that statement and say its coming West of the 12z Euro.

As mentioned in other posts, not sure how much opportunity there is for this to come NW. If it can close off even sooner at 500 like the Euro and we slow / weaken that GL low I think all bets are off, just not confident it will happen. We always see the NW trend, but that seems to be more with systems on a more East to West trajectory that we want to see go underneath us, or moving up west of the Apps.

So... if we find the center of ciruclation of the system that will ultimately become that GL low, and drop a nuclear bomb in it do you think that will disrupt it enough or create enough chaos to tip the tables in our favor? :devilsmiley::stun::rolleyes:

UMMM why are you all such Debbie Downers?? good Lord. !st & foremost it is out of our hands & what will be will be  ! no amount of wishcasting or Debbie Downerism or even Staying away from jinxing us will change. all winter models have not gotten it right till VERY late in the going 

UMMM why are such Debbie Downers?? good Lord. !st & foremost it is out of our hands & what will be will be ! no amount of wishcasting or Debbie Downerism or even Staying away from jinxing us will change. all winter models have not gotten it right till VERY late in the going

that is true but this is a very different set up then our usual storms this winter. I hope Im wrong but Im going with a c-1 of snow.

UMMM why are you all such Debbie Downers?? good Lord. !st & foremost it is out of our hands & what will be will be ! no amount of wishcasting or Debbie Downerism or even Staying away from jinxing us will change. all winter models have not gotten it right till VERY late in the going

Well, there is no real support for a storm right now...I'd say you are the one wishcasting.

Ripped from the central PA thread:

"There are several Euro Ensembles which actually have the surface low tracking inland...west of Ocean City Maryland and then back northeast again near or just east of NYC. And by several I mean more than 15." - earthlight

I really want to believe the Euro is correct, and might trend further North West. Just as mentioned not one single model has over 2 inches for Pittsburgh.

Ripped from the central PA thread:

"There are several Euro Ensembles which actually have the surface low tracking inland...west of Ocean City Maryland and then back northeast again near or just east of NYC. And by several I mean more than 15." - earthlight

I really want to believe the Euro is correct, and might trend further North West. Just as mentioned not one single model has over 2 inches for Pittsburgh.

if this was any other year than this I would say yay king euro. Lets wait and see, atleast we have some ENS on our side.

Archived