Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 4th-6th Storm Threat Discussion

Sn0waddict

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Little IMBY, I know - But just noticing this... Currently sitting at 31.8º, up from 29º a little over an hour ago - Dewpoint at 28º ... Going to need the surface to crash a bit in order for the NAM to materialize.

As the secondary develops it will flip the winds to the northeast and help lock in the low level cold air. Read Upton's AFD for some good info.

Nick Gregory updated saying new data showed it to be colder. NYC surface temps to stay below freezing -- 5"+ snowfall for NYC followed by ice. Severe ice storm for some with up to 1" ice and widespread damage. Said he doesn't hype and this storm looks destined to be very serious.

Every report from the Philly forum is freezing rain. Not one sighting of snow. The writing has been on the wall all day. Time to drop the WSW and put up Ice Storm Warnings.

This shows that PA being freezing rain now means squat for many of us up here especially when we get into heavier precip. Lots of room to Wet Bulb is key. The NAM will bust horribly:

skew_KOKX.gif

Nick Gregory updated saying new data showed it to be colder. NYC surface temps to stay below freezing -- 5"+ snowfall for NYC followed by ice. Severe ice storm for some with up to 1" ice and widespread damage. Said he doesn't hype and this storm looks destined to be very serious.

Yep saw that... Bank on it!

5"+ seems to really be overdoing it. I don't think there's a way we get 5" snow AND anywhere near 1" ice. The storm doesn't support 1.5-2" qpf, and the latest guidance seems to have gotten warmer (HRRR/RAP). I like Nick but I think that's overdoing it just a tad

Every report from the Philly forum is freezing rain. Not one sighting of snow. The writing has been on the wall all day. Time to drop the WSW and put up Ice Storm Warnings.

What is happening in the Philadelphia area was modeled...south of a line from Harrisburg PA to Asbury Park New Jersey...not much snow will fall...north of that line...snowfall totals will increase dramatically.  This is what they call a gradient...and latitude is the absolute key element in this situation.

What does wet bulbing have to do with this? We're not talking about cooling the surface. That will only help temps cool at the surface however.

It's the ability to wet bulb in the mid-levels that matter. That's where the look is favorable for more snow than ice for us for a good while when we get into the heavier precip. RGEM had all the ice being reported in areas of PA pegged, means nothing for us.

What is happening in the Philadelphia area was modeled...south of a line from Harrisburg PA to Asbury Park New Jersey...not much snow will fall...north of that line...snowfall totals will increase dramatically.  This is what they call a gradient...and latitude is the absolute key element in this situation.

Thank you exactly correct imho.

I think there will be a lot more sleet and ice pellets than people realize. Fortunately for us, sleet doesn't have nearly as high of an impact as freezing rain does. 

I'm not trying to take away from the ZR threat completely, but a lot of the short term models are now showing a prolonged period of IP as well. 

Archived