• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2/13-2/19 Potential To Make NYC Coldest Weeks Of 2000's List

bluewave

Winds would help NYC get cooler. If winds are light, forget it.

Even in the midst of the UHI like Central Park or LGA...where radiational cooling is very, very limited, I still think you are better off if winds go dead calm than if they are whipping out of the west if you want to see extreme minimums...strong cold air advection is only going to lower the mercury if the air entering the area is substantially colder than the air there at present...i.e., immediately following cold frontal passage...otherwise, you are just moving the same temperature air from one spot to another.  JFK, I know, does better when the winds go calm as they are ever so slightly removed from the extreme UHI.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.EQUIPMENT...
DUE TO A COMMUNICATIONS ISSUE...THE CLIMATE DATA FOR NEW YORK CITY
AT CENTRAL PARK IS CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE. BACKUP SENSORS HAVE BEEN
USED TO POPULATE THE CLIMATE AND OBSERVATIONAL DATA FROM JANUARY 16
TO THE PRESENT...AND THIS METHOD WILL CONTINUE TO BE EMPLOYED UNTIL
THE PROBLEM IS RESOLVED.

THE EQUIPMENT IN CENTRAL PARK IS STILL WORKING...AND THE DATA IS
BEING ARCHIVED. WHEN APPROPRIATE COMMUNICATIONS ARE RESTORED...THIS
ARCHIVED DATA WILL BE USED TO MAKE ANY CORRECTIONS NECESSARY TO BOTH
THE CLIMATE DATABASE AND PRODUCTS.

Upton has us torching by this weekend with rain. I'm very worried about the current snowpack now. So we have no chance to get as cold as last week in February? This is it for the bitter cold?

Yes you are correct ,WINTER IS OVER , done finished , after Thrs , break out the short sleeves and get  out the tanning lotion .

Feb 5- 15 Very cold again, any spike is temp . prob a few days as the trough comes back

I doubt we see temps as cold as we did last week though.  Although NYC's all time coldest temp was recorded on Feb 9th, slowly but surely climo starts to play a role.  After the second week of Feb, only 3 days have record lows below 0 (and two of them are in that third week).

I doubt we see temps as cold as we did last week though.  Although NYC's all time coldest temp was recorded on Feb 9th, slowly but surely climo starts to play a role.  After the second week of Feb, only 3 days have record lows below 0 (and two of them are in that third week).

Careful , Euro and GFS ensembles agree its coast to coast cold , The CFSV2 is COLD 5- 15  we will see , '

I know u hate the cold , ha . 

It's well above freezing, 44F and rising, well above forecast. This makes me think the midweek storm isn't done trending N&W. 

As Mikehobbyist would say, "blame the rising sun angle."

Careful , Euro and GFS ensembles agree its coast to coast cold , The CFSV2 is COLD 5- 15  we will see , '

I know u hate the cold , ha . 

He just wants the cold to ease just so he can see women in sundresses.

Archived