• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh/Western Pa Weather

meatwad

So what do you all think local schools are going to do? Closed Tuesday seems a forgon conclusion, but what about tomorrow? Delay would be pointless as conditions will deteriorate as the day goes on, and early dismisals could end up being timed during the time the second arctic front blasts through.

Personally I drove during a flash freeze Thanksgiving 2005.

Traveling south on Rt 28, right before the Harmarville exit, cars were suddenly sliding everywhere.

It was really bad, for what seemed like a clean road.

I'd say just close tomorrow, it'll save a lot of potential headaches.

Plus, getting school closing snowfalls is becoming less and less.

So wasting built in snow days, isn't such a big deal anymore.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what do you all think local schools are going to do? Closed Tuesday seems a forgon conclusion, but what about tomorrow? Delay would be pointless as conditions will deteriorate as the day goes on, and early dismisals could end up being timed during the time the second arctic front blasts through.

I would think they should do nothing tomorrow or at least wait until morning and see what it is like. As far as the flash freeze goes it looks like it will happen overnight and not in the middle of the rush hour. They would be able to salt roads before morning. It looks like the arctic front doesn't come through until tomorrow afternoon with the real cold. Then all close Tuesday because of the bitter cold. Then a delay on Wednesday.  Wednesday morning will be zero or below but it will warm to 20 so the remainder of the day will warm up somewhat. I am sure some may have delays or close tomorrow but I think it would be an overreaction at this point.

the radar looks to have decent precip behind the front right now at least....maybe as it works itself east, it will lose the back end stuff?....just wondering about that....get bundled up fellas!...get some extra firewood just in case power goes out!....

I'm thinking there isn't going to be much of that left by the time the front finally gets here. With the low continuing to move away as the front gets closer, there probably won't be much moisture left for us unfortunately.

Just eyeballing it from my drive into work, it looks like most places got a modest .25 - .5 inches of snow. Despite the light totals, roads were very icy likely thanks to the flash freeze. It was 25 when I left my house this morning and winds were whiping like crazy and it felt bitterly cold, can't imaging how it may feel after we drop another 25-35 degrees!

NWS discussion was talking about the possibility of a squall line with the next arctic front poised to blast through this afternoon.

did your buddy say what time that squall would come through?

I just saw on a NWS facebook post that it just went through Zanesville at 8:30 and was expected at the PA/WV border between 9:30 and 10:30. I am guessing by 11:00 it will be through. They say it drops the temperatures 10-12 degrees immediately and it will snow for about 30 minutes with winds picking up. Should be nasty. Most Ohio is single digits or below zero in the western part. I am currently at 22.6

Yea I shoveled and measured an inch.....I was happy to have that! And my buddy mentioned that squall for later as well....maybe grab another inch with high ratios

Invite him to join our thread! :)

Snowing pretty good here in greensburg right now. Looking forward to the squall.

Did any of you get a chance to read some of the forecasts for the areas off of Erie and Ontario? Just wow, its pretty epic even for a LES area.

Archived