joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tuesday Clipper System 12/17

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember Glenn "Hurricane " Schwartz being hard on himself for missing this in his forecast...

I remember the only met on air who called this was Robby G. I remember his words in his blog saying "A mini storm is basically going to form over the phl metro area in the next few hours" and then I had 9" at my house. What a night. 

I remember the only met on air who called this was Robby G. I remember his words in his blog saying "A mini storm is basically going to form over the phl metro area in the next few hours" and then I had 9" at my house. What a night.

Yup, I remember him calling it too. Guarino was hard on Glenn not seeing the norlun trough, he should have cut Glenn some slack out of respect.

Yup, I remember him calling it too. Guarino was hard on Glenn not seeing the norlun trough, he should have cut Glenn some slack out of respect.

True but I will also say that at NBC10 there are also a lot of "arm wrenching" patting one's self on the back promos ie "we were the first ones to tell you"....that can get pretty old/tiring pretty quickly!

Models are starting to show that it might be the midday blast that gives us the heaviest burse of precip and not the early morning rush. Almost looks like 3 waves now, even though it'll be light should be interesting to see what happens. For such a short term forecast the models are actually having a tough time with this. 

Hi-Res NAM showing heavier burst of precip between 12-3. It looks like the night time wave might be too far south. 

Never understand this thinking... its the same range as 3-6 and 5-8.

Yeah same ranges but in terms of impact, 1" is quite a bit different than 4", whereas 3-6 and 5-8 generally have pretty similar impacts. 1" is very nuisance while once you get to 3,4", I consider that plowable and much more hazardous to travel.

Yeah same ranges but in terms of impact, 1" is quite a bit different than 4", whereas 3-6 and 5-8 generally have pretty similar impacts. 1" is very nuisance while once you get to 3,4", I consider that plowable and much more hazardous to travel.

Also not true.  1 inch at the wrong time can be a HUGE problem. Say, the middle of rush hour.  Meanwhile, 4" in the middle of the night, not such a big deal.

Much greater differential percentage wise as we'll (1-4" as compared to 5-8")

True, though 4" during rush hour = MUCH bigger deal...

And...

1" middle of the night = MUCH less a deal...

No?

1" or 4" in the middle of the night, its not much difference. 

1" can be as bad as 4" during rush hour depending on those 1" or 4".  If the 1" sticks to the road, but the 4" mostly melts on the road, then the 1" actually might be far worse.

1" or 4" in the middle of the night, its not much difference.

1" can be as bad as 4" during rush hour depending on those 1" or 4". If the 1" sticks to the road, but the 4" mostly melts on the road, then the 1" actually might be far worse.

Ray il even go to say 1/2 inch can cause huge problems especially on I-81 and the turnpike. As long as it's snowing and it sticks at rush hour, you're in trouble.

Archived