• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upcoming Events

Stovepipe

MRX caution is probably correct. NAM I think is too aggressive. GFS/Euro don't have that moisture, but NAM is the short-term model so perhaps assume half of NAM qpf which is still more than the other two. NAM is pretty energetic over TN, later assuming a slight negative tilt for NC. Also has a somewhat TROWAL like feature with 850 WAA out of the northeast going into lift/precip. It is not really at TROWAL but testimony to a tight piece of energy. Problem is lack of moisture.

I like little if any North Alabama into Chattanooga. Any far North Georgia readers might get a dusting. Nashville could get a quick dusting. Knoxville should get the dusting to half inch. Upper Plateau to TRI should get 1-2 inches. Right next door in southwest VA may get 3 in. Amounts will increase well with elevation in the mountains esp upslope areas. Enjoy!

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MRX caution is probably correct. NAM I think is too aggressive. GFS/Euro don't have that moisture, but NAM is the short-term model so perhaps assume half of NAM qpf which is still more than the other two. NAM is pretty energetic over TN, later assuming a slight negative tilt for NC. Also has a somewhat TROWAL like feature with 850 WAA out of the northeast going into lift/precip. It is not really at TROWAL but testimony to a tight piece of energy. Problem is lack of moisture.

I like little if any North Alabama into Chattanooga. Any far North Georgia readers might get a dusting. Nashville could get a quick dusting. Knoxville should get the dusting to half inch. Upper Plateau to TRI should get 1-2 inches. Right next door in southwest VA may get 3 in. Amounts will increase well with elevation in the mountains esp upslope areas. Enjoy!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Jeff!

Here's a mid-day snow map round up for tomorrow's event:

12z GGEM

95dyYzU.jpg

12z GFS

fX63AIi.jpg

12z Hi-Res NAM

XBvpJWX.jpg

12z RGEM

YAZCGx9.jpg

9z SREF QPF

TKecOub.jpg

WRF Simulated Radar:

wrf_nmmeast-radar-loop_1hour.gif

My ZFP,

Tonight: Rain showers likely in the evening...then snow showers and rain showers after midnight. Snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches. Lows in the lower 30s. Northwest winds 5 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent. 

Wednesday: Snow showers in the morning...then snow showers likely early in the afternoon. A slight chance of snow showers late in the afternoon. Snow accumulation up to 1 inch. Total snow accumulation 1 to 3 inches. Highs in the mid to upper 30s. Northwest winds 5 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 80 percent.

One thing this system has shown, no model handles any non-rainmaker worth a hoot beyond 24 hours.

This one died to the point of it may not even produce a flake or a sprinkle here. At least not until this afternoon when there may be a snow shower or flizzard. Maybe Thursday night and Friday will give someone here something.

From my perspective as I look at the radar this morning, I don't think the models have been too terrible at all for this particular event.  Outside of the GGEM and RGEM I've not seen much guidance that would suggest this would be more than a dusting outside of the mountains since the mid to latter part of last week.  They've trended dryer and dryer and surface temps, even on the very short range models, have just not been shown to be cold for the time frame. 

I'm absolutely baffled at MRX going all in like they did yesterday evening for the valley.  There have been many times in the past were several models were actually showing a significant event and MRX wouldn't bite at all or they'd low ball any totals.

Now I'd love to eat my words and see an inch or two today then come back here and agree that the models had no clue, but I see no evidence that'll happen.  Thur/Fri looks better, maybe we fair better then.

The Euro was the first to lose this, about 48-72 hours ago. The GFS mostly lost it at 18z Monday evening, about 36 hours out, and the 00Z NAM and 06Z NAM HiRes were showing 1-3+ across East Tennessee on their Monday evening/Tuesday morning runs. So the models lost it long after late last week. They were pretty terrible for this event as a unit.

From my perspective as I look at the radar this morning, I don't think the models have been too terrible at all for this particular event.  Outside of the GGEM and RGEM I've not seen much guidance that would suggest this would be more than a dusting outside of the mountains since the mid to latter part of last week.  They've trended dryer and dryer and surface temps, even on the very short range models, have just not been shown to be cold for the time frame. 

The NAM has been the most wishy washy model this season by far.  Occasionally the Hi-Res paints a mostly correct picture but it flips around so much it just really can't be trusted in any time frame in my opinion.  Not that it's perfect, but I personally don't like to go into battle without the Euro on my side inside of 5 days.

From what I'm seeing now, I like the next clipper much better, but of course, the models may also be severely mishandling it. The positives about it appear to be a better overall atmospheric set up ahead of it and as of now, a bit better forcing and moisture. That could all change dramatically within the next 24 hours though.

Last year, Super Bowl weekend we had a series of clippers like this, most didn't do much for me, but the last one dropped 4 inches.on February 3rd. 

I am actually excited about the Friday system for TN (especially middle since it arrives in the earlier part of the day).  I think it stands a chance to be more robust than the one that has just moved through here, and for a larger area of TN, but the part that gets me excited is that the ground should be much colder with this system, so it should "look" a lot more wintry at the very least. I do wish it would hit before lunch in east TN, as time of day could still hurt us a little............ since it's not suppose to bring heavy rates along its path.

Then we wait to see if the Sunday system can dive as far south as projected. I have my doubts as this is the time period the trough will start lifting out.  That one will likely be further north, but that's just my opinion.

Middle TN should be ready for the clipper on Friday morning. Since it hits early to mid morning, I would imagine school delays and/or closings would be in order there.

Agree including Hamilton County was insane. Their snow chart even had zero from Chatty up to about Watts Bar.

Anyway if you live in the Tri Cities area or even on the Upper Plateau, Friday might be interesting. Continue status quo elsewhere. Great discussion of Friday by tnweathernut above. Again moisture will be a challenge but with a vigorous little short-wave. However it will be colder; therefore, easier to get some condensation and dendrite growth. It is conditional but worth watching.

A half inch here and a half inch there

Here a half an inch, there a half an inch, everywhere a half an inch

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NASHVILLE TN
248 PM CST WED JAN 15 2014

.DISCUSSION...
...A SERIES OF CLIPPERS WILL AFFECT THE WEATHER HERE IN THE MID STATE
FOR THE REMAINDER OF THIS WEEK AND OVER THE WEEKEND INTO NEXT WEEK...SO
THE WEATHER WILL BE LIKE A ROLLER COASTER RIDE...SO BUCKLE UP!

MID STATE CLOUDED UP DURING THE LATE MORNING AND INTO THE
AFTERNOON DUE IN PART TO UPPER TROUGH WORKING ACROSS THE AREA
ALONG WITH DIURNALLY DRIVEN SURFACE HEATING THAT HAS STEEPEN THE LAPSE
RATES THROUGH LOWER TROPOSPHERE THUS DEVELOPING STRATOCU. THERE
HAVE BEEN A FEW REPORTS OF FLURRIES BUT NOT MANY. AS DIURNAL
COMPONENT DROPS OFF THIS EVENING STILL EXPECT TO SEE FLURRIES OVER
EASTERN AERAS AND PLATEAU THROUGH ABOUT 02Z. UPPER TROUGH SHOULD
EXIT PLATEAU MID TO LATE EVENING WITH SURFACE RIDGE BUILDING OVER
THE AREA TONIGHT. LOWS TONIGHT DOWN INTO THE LOWER 20S WITH UPPER
TEENS ALONG THE PLATEAU. CLIPPER SYSTEM OVER HIGH PLAINS POISED TO
QUICKLY MOVE THIS WAY ON THURSDAY AND PASS THROUGH MIDDLE TENNESSEE
THURSDAY NIGHT LATE. A QUICK WARM UP OUT AHEAD OF CLIPPER DURING
THE DAY THURSDAY WITH A CHANCE FOR SHOWERS NORTHERN TIER OF
COUNTIES BY AFTERNOON WITH A CHANCE FOR SNOW THURSDAY NIGHT AS
CLIPPER MOVES THROUGH BRINGING IN COLDER AIR. COULD SEE A DUSTING
NORTHEAST HALF OF MID STATE AFTER MIDNIGHT THURSDAY NIGHT. LOWS
THURSDAY NIGHT DOWN IN THE UPPER 20S WITH ANOTHER COLD SHOT DIVING DOWN
INTO THE MID STATE DURING THE DAY ON FRIDAY. WE MAY NOT SEE HIGHS
GET ABOVE FREEZING ON FRIDAY EXCEPT NEAR THE ALABAMA BORDER. WE
COULD ALSO SEE SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF UP TO ONE HALF INCH NORTHEAST
HALF ON FRIDAY WITH A LITTLE MORE IN THE UPPER CUMBERLAND REGION.
COLD FRIDAY NIGHT WITH LOWS IN THE TEENS. ANOTHER CLIPPER HEADS
THIS WAY ON SATURDAY IN RELENTLESS NORTHWESTERLY FLOW ALOFT AND
RACES THROUGH THE MID STATE SATURDAY EVENING. THIS WILL BRING A
CHANCE FOR SHOWERS OVER THE NORTHEAST HALF OF THE MID STATE
SATURDAY AFTERNOON WITH A CHANCE FOR LIGHT SNOW TO THE UPPER
CUMBERLAND. WE COULD SEE A DUSTING TO HALF INCH IN THE UPPER
CUMBERLAND SATURDAY EVENING/NIGHT BUT CLIPPER MOVES THROUGH SO
QUICKLY THAT IT HAS LITTLE CHANCE OF LAYING DOWN MUCH IN THE WAY
OF ACCUMULATION. SATURDAY NIGHT LOWS DOWN IN THE 20S. GULF COAST
SURFACE HIGH BUILDS IN QUICKLY ON SUNDAY DRIVING TEMPERATURES WELL
INTO THE 40S WITH A FEW 50S IN THE SOUTHWEST. ANOTHER CLIPPER WILL
MOVE DOWN FROM THE NORTHWEST ON MONDAY WITH YET ANOTHER ONE
HEADING THIS WAY ON TUESDAY. PATTERN LOOKS LOCKED IN FOR SEVERAL DAYS.

The last clipper, the NAM was wet the latest, the GFS went dry and turned out to be right. This clipper, the GFS and SREF are wettest and the NAM is dry. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see the NAM win this round.

JKL though is going for the GFS/SREF blend and thinks the NAM is under doing the moisture, 1-2 for their CWA tonight and tomorrow if the GFS/SREF is right.

MRX has taken the "Won't be fooled again" approach and is going with the no soup outside the usual areas of NE TN/SWVA and only a little soup there forecast.

The last clipper, the NAM was wet the latest, the GFS went dry and turned out to be right. This clipper, the GFS and SREF are wettest and the NAM is dry. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see the NAM win this round.

JKL though is going for the GFS/SREF blend and thinks the NAM is under doing the moisture, 1-2 for their CWA tonight and tomorrow if the GFS/SREF is right.

MRX has taken the "Won't be fooled again" approach and is going with the no soup outside the usual areas of NE TN/SWVA and only a little soup there forecast.

Any idea what the NWS out of Nashville is looking at to say this as part of the morning discussion?

LONG RANGE GUIDANCE IS BEGINNING TO SUGGEST THAT THIS LONGWAVE

TROUGH AXIS THAT IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THESE CLIPPER SYSTEMS COULD BE

MOVING ON BY THE END OF NEXT WEEK...SO A PATTERN SHIFT MAY NOT BE

TOO FAR AWAY.

Archived