Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 2013 Obs

NCCatawba

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just heard from family that lives close to Duffield...snowing pretty good over there right now. Nice little Christmas eve present :-) :santa:

Sounds about right as the first light snow shower has hit here, but Duffield normally does a lot better in these types of events. What a nice Christmas Eve surprise!

5.11 inches of rain at KTRI this month.  That is incredible for December.  Amazingly, we sit at "only" +3.9 in terms of temps with days of +27, +21, +20, and +17 included in the average.  The overnight lows and some cold stretches appear to have blunted these what could have been an enormous average. Pretty amazing the number isn't higher. 

It sure didn't get to the mid 50s today...I thought that seemed a little optimistic. Topped out at 42 in Indian Springs. Looks like temps won't drop much tonight.

Nope it sure didn't get up that high! Made for a cold round of golf! Got up to 43 and I'm back down to 39 with some help with evaporational cooling as light drizzle has started.

It sure didn't get to the mid 50s today...I thought that seemed a little optimistic. Topped out at 42 in Indian Springs. Looks like temps won't drop much tonight.

Seemed much colder than I thought it was supposed to be here as well.  Had some sleet mixed in with the rain for awhile about 1:30 central.  Nice cold rain and 40 out there right now.

The Holston river is running high. TVA is trying to clear water it appears. Get it down stream before another storm. Plus the rain from last night is causing higher flows. During the drought it rarely hit the top of its banks. Seems likes it has been there all year. Not complaining, just observing.

Yeah this is a good problem to have. Much better than a long-term drought. The Holston is running high but with about a week between major rains it isn't in action or flood stage at least here but I'm not sure about downstream.

ejuqute4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KTRI is now up to 6.34 inches of rain for December which is 16.87 inches above normal bringing the yearly total to 57.68. I believe that this ranks second on the all-time list behind 2003. Interestingly KTRI is 1.1 inches below normal in the snow department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It always amazes me that Tri is so much drier than other areas around here due to down sloping. I average around 57 inches a year on average and have 66.48 this year. By percentage above normal, Knoxville is extremely impressive this year too, being 20 inches or so above normal.

Archived